Anyone switch from large management co to small?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone switch from large management co to small?

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    Yup... I was there. When everyone was in the mailroom everyone was fukkin broke as hell. I knew big agents when they were in the mailroom as little kids making almost nothing and skating by. Fast-forward 15 years and they're making 300k -to- 1 mil a year. But, most of them didn't make it. It's brutal trying to make agent. Especially at CAA. You have to "fit in" or you're gone. Making agent is done by committee at CAA. They all have to agree that you have the upscale CAA vibe or you're OUT!

Plus, everything in that area is expensive. You have to tip the valet, the server, wear fashionable clothes. Heck, now even Panera has it where you have to tip the cashier taking your order. Also, that intersection right next to CAA is one of the most dangerous intersections.

Comment

It would be great if it were a step by step incremental process of going up that Gucci list, but sometimes you see climb to step five and slide down back to square 1 or some person just ride a wave and skip 7 steps overnight.

Comment

Being unrepped has it's benefits. You save 10% and 90% of your sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
          It would be great if it were a step by step incremental process of going up that Gucci list, but sometimes you see climb to step five and slide down back to square 1 or some person just ride a wave and skip 7 steps overnight.
          Yup, I've been in the #10 spot. Biggest sale of the year in the entire industry. That lasted for what... a week? That *DAY* was fun. Kinda... ish... meh...

It's always "Cool... what else ya got, bruh?"
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

If I was smart, I could look this up. But I assume someone smarter than me is PM me right now so I don't have to. So is that movie in limbo hell? Just bought and put away forever? WTF is wrong with these people?

If they are going to buy scripts and not make 99% of them, why are they so picking? Buy 1000 specs in that case!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              If I was smart, I could look this up. But I assume someone smarter than me is PM me right now so I don't have to. So is that movie in limbo hell? Just bought and put away forever? WTF is wrong with these people?

If they are going to buy scripts and not make 99% of them, why are they so picking? Buy 1000 specs in that case!
              Are you talking to me?

I'm talking about the one that got made. The entire thing was the perfect scenario AFTER it sold. FAST TRACK.

I'm not saying for sure... just a guess. RE: biggest sale of the year in that genre.

Comment

Yup... I was there. When everyone was in the mailroom everyone was fukkin broke as hell. I knew big agents when they were in the mailroom as little kids making almost nothing and skating by. Fast-forward 15 years and they're making 300k -to- 1 mil a year. But, most of them didn't make it. It's brutal trying to make agent. Especially at CAA. You have to "fit in" or you're gone. Making agent is done by committee at CAA. They all have to agree that you have the upscale CAA vibe or you're OUT!
                My understanding is that the lady who administers the CAA agent trainee program basically has complete veto power over who gets in. Like, she'll announce that you're out because she hates your hair or whatever, and no one at the agency, up to and including Bryan Lourd, seems willing to overrule her. Fun times!

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                  My understanding is that the lady who administers the CAA agent trainee program basically has complete veto power over who gets in. Like, she'll announce that you're out because she hates your hair or whatever, and no one at the agency, up to and including Bryan Lourd, seems willing to overrule her. Fun times!
                  Yup... I know her. Known her for years (Can't call her... this fukkin town, man). She's actually very nice. But tough.

Ahhh... see, now you're gonna make me admit something (gonna piss off my ex and her moles, whatever). When she was fired the partners didn't GET IT. They honestly had no idea why she was being fired. Truth is this: She was fired for using the wrong pen. I told her "Fukk them, use the pen!" FIRED! Can you fukkin imagine? They said "You need anything, call us. We're here for you." That's the god's honest truth, people get fired and the partners aren't even involved and they're actually sad to see you go, but they trust the Dept heads choice to axe you. Then the trades say "Left to pursue other opportunities." LIE! TRUTH: "Scrambling to get new gig."

*If I turn up dead... you know why!

Truth tellers usually end up in a box 6 feet under. LOL. Fukk it!

Comment

Yup... I know her. Known her for years (Can't call her... this fukkin town, man). She's actually very nice. But tough.

Ahhh... see, now you're gonna make me admit something (gonna piss off my ex and her moles, whatever). When she was fired the partners didn't GET IT. They honestly had no idea why she was being fired. Truth is this: She was fired for using the wrong pen. I told her "Fukk them, use the pen!" FIRED! Can you fukkin imagine? They said "You need anything, call us. We're here for you." That's the god's honest truth, people get fired and the partners aren't even involved and they're actually sad to see you go, but they trust the Dept heads choice to axe you. Then the trades say "Left to pursue other opportunities." LIE! TRUTH: "Scrambling to get new gig."

*If I turn up dead... you know why!

Truth tellers usually end up in a box 6 feet under. LOL. Fukk it!
                    or in Russia
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                      or in Russia
                      TRUTH!

Comment

I was repped by one of the big 4 and a large management company for a little over 2 years and nothing ever come out of it-- got dropped by both. A few months later I signed with a two-person management operation and a boutique agency. I got staffed 3 months later and I've been working for four years straight and have sold two shows.

So if you ask me, I think going somewhere smaller where they actually care about the client is always a good move.

Comment

100%. BRAVO.

I got fired from WWF (you get it?) after we made money because they had to trim back their client list.

Comment

Originally posted by AGWriter View Post
                            I was repped by one of the big 4 and a large management company for a little over 2 years and nothing ever come out of it-- got dropped by both. A few months later I signed with a two-person management operation and a boutique agency. I got staffed 3 months later and I've been working for four years straight and have sold two shows.

So if you ask me, I think going somewhere smaller where they actually care about the client is always a good move.
                            congrats, AGWriter. well done.
                            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

That's very nice to hear that it worked out for you. Thanks for sharing your experience on the subject.

Comment

Rad!

And this is why: Because big agencies ARE NOT working for the writer, they haven't been for at least a decade, they're working to funnel all deals into the "partners" master plan. I witnessed it for 15 years. Some bigger writers are like "Nah, that doesn't happen to me, I'm too fancy." Bruh... NO YOU AIN'T! I've seen big writers get fukked where I'm like "WOW, even THEY are not immune."

That's part of the deal I'm trying to make NOW. Revealing all this sh!t. We shall see where this goes. If I turn up dead you know why! LOL

But glad you were able to get out of that toxic environment and into one where people are actually working for you! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X