Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #41
JoeBanks

Default Re: First ATA agency breaks ranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangoForth View Post
Whether they get more agencies to sign or not, they still have my support. This fight is about fiduciary responsibility.
i agree. the problem for leadership is that big-time showrunners don't want to sit out development season sans agents either:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/top-sho...rt-1202654656/

just like 2007 all over again, John Wells, Aaron Sorkin et al will **** us over (though slightly different in that the DGA hasn't forced the writers' hands by cutting a crummy deal before us)
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #42
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
i agree. the problem for leadership is that big-time showrunners don't want to sit out development season sans agents either:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/top-sho...rt-1202654656/

just like 2007 all over again, John Wells, Aaron Sorkin et al will **** us over (though slightly different in that the DGA hasn't forced the writers' hands by cutting a crummy deal before us)
i'm confused by this. what is it exactly that they (the 300) don't like about the current negotiations, why don't they like it? what do they want? and is it aligned with the benefit of ALL writers, not the top writers?

i mean, are they for packaging fees? or shared fees? i'd like to better understand this aspect.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #43
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i'm confused by this. what is it exactly that they (the 300) don't like about the current negotiations, why don't they like it? what do they want? and is it aligned with the benefit of ALL writers, not the top writers?

i mean, are they for packaging fees? or shared fees? i'd like to better understand this aspect.
well, at least to hear Mazin's take on it from Scriptnotes, at least some of them feel (or claim to feel) that they were sold one bill of goods by leadership in the run-up to the vote: "Authorize us to fire the agents as a specific means of negotiation leverage, which will lead to . . . something." From everyone I know who was in attendance at the meetings, that's not my understanding of how the case for the vote was presented to rank-and-file but for whatever reason "get back to the bargaining table for . . . something" has apparently become the rallying cry for this faction of dissenters

my armchair quarterback read from the sidelines, looking at the names who signed this letter, is that the heaviest hitting showrunners and upper-level writers (and feature writers who may feel like they are caught up in what is mainly a TV fight) just want to go back to the status quo with some token concessions from the Big 4 agencies on packaging fees so they can claim a "win" and start selling shows again.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #44
JoeBanks

like, Greg Berlanti sold 15 shows last year. if he's going into this development season without an agent [not that i think he would need one to sell another show for the rest of his life but . . . ] maybe he thinks that's going to screw with his hustle in terms of putting together talent packages.

of course it costs showrunners at that level absolutely zero to sign their names to a letter like this because they really have nothing at risk -- Shonda and Ryan Murphy are still getting $300m from Netflix whether they have an agent or not.

and would any of them commit fully, in a binding way, to ensuring that their own rooms are staffed with writers at every salary level and with a full range of voices if the parties came back to the table tomorrow? ha ha, good luck with that WGA
Old 07-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #45
DangoForth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
...or if enough established lit agents jump ship and open their own shops.
I'm of the opinion that the Big 4 will "kick" all of their literary agents out to form "independent" (ha!) sgencies. And they'll continue packaging everywhere they can until directors and actors rebel, too.
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #46
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangoForth View Post
I'm of the opinion that the Big 4 will "kick" all of their literary agents out to form "independent" (ha!) sgencies. And they'll continue packaging everywhere they can until directors and actors rebel, too.
if you're UTA and ICM and see that the "Big 4" is really just WME and CAA plus you other two who we constantly **** on and laugh about behind your backs, this would seem to be an opportunity to actually level the playing field with them. but they are probably content fighting for the scraps that Ari and LourdHuvaneLovett toss off
Old 07-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #47
AnyOtherName
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
You are weird. I have very much been following this whole matter in prominent news sources and on social media. If you think that the voices I quoted have been so "loud" and "vociferous" against the WGA's action, then you shouldn't have to dig that hard to find evidence as such (or resort to material from a private message board).

Seriously -- you'd think someone who calls himself/herself a writer wouldn't have such hard time performing a basic online search to back up his/her so-called "evidence."
Not that I expect this to in any way distract you from your program of name-calling, but the Guild just released staffing statistics from 2019 re: diversity:

https://www.wga.org/uploadedfiles/th...ion_Report.pdf
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #48
Bono

Can you remind me AnyOtherName what your side is again? I can't follow. I know you two are fighting. But I honestly can't remember who is on which side. I need a recap.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #49
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
well, at least to hear Mazin's take on it from Scriptnotes, at least some of them feel (or claim to feel) that they were sold one bill of goods by leadership in the run-up to the vote: "Authorize us to fire the agents as a specific means of negotiation leverage, which will lead to . . . something." From everyone I know who was in attendance at the meetings, that's not my understanding of how the case for the vote was presented to rank-and-file but for whatever reason "get back to the bargaining table for . . . something" has apparently become the rallying cry for this faction of dissenters
yeah, i don't get this, because Mazin is exceptionally bright-- that's the only reason you take a hard line like a "firing," one, to get their attention, and two, to actualize its "leverage."

Quote:
my armchair quarterback read from the sidelines, looking at the names who signed this letter, is that the heaviest hitting showrunners and upper-level writers (and feature writers who may feel like they are caught up in what is mainly a TV fight) just want to go back to the status quo with some token concessions from the Big 4 agencies on packaging fees so they can claim a "win" and start selling shows again.
do you think it might be possible that the fear is that smaller, less "known" writers may receive attention and "new" voices might emerge? some of these writers are so far ahead-- $300 million? i mean, Netflix locked up the biggest talent and now will be a void in network, no?

maybe i'm getting this all wrong.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #50
Bono

I don't understand any of this. I think I'm smart and I admit I'm not in the business fully or in LA so most of my news comes from here and yes scriptnotes.

What I find frustrating is do Craig and John NOT TALK OFF AIR? Like why can't John tell a WGA member what is happening behind the scenes? Do they pretend not to know to talk about it? This is what I don't get.

Either way I thought Craig's point was what was the point of firing the agents for leverage to get a better deal if they aren't going to accept any reasonable deal. I think Craig was saying he expected to get more than they had, but not everything they wanted. And it sounds like writers were offered something that sounded good to me from the outside and the WGA said no outright because it would be too hard to figure out math wise. So that does sound stupid from the outside. But sure there's more to it. Maybe not...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote