Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #11
mrl72
New User

Default Re: Representation as a director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I'm a writer/director at a three letter agency. I was 'pursued' by an agent when I was directing my second film with a client of their's in the lead.

I said to him get me a movie and I'll sign with you. So he send me three scripts, big scripts from hot writers. I was impressed and signed.

What I didn't know was that there was no way in hell I could really get in the running to direct those scripts unless the movie i was currently directing got a lot of attention.
The movie got middling reviews and those scripts where never mentioned again.

What I mean to tell you is that if there is more than one agency that wants to sign you, try and leverage that into a real job... you firmly attached to direct a go movie. Your manager will be able to tell whats bullsh0t and what's not.

If you have some heat, use it. They love a shiny new thing.
Good to know, thanks! And of course, I'm not going into this with the expectation that they give me the code to the vault where they keep their prized scripts, just curious what to expect in my first round of meetings.
mrl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #12
Bono

Sucking up, promises they won't keep, lies, bottle water, feeling great about yourself and then you sign and nothing happens for 10 years. Enjoy!

I'm an optimist!
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #13
mrl72
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
What you need is to make a buzzy feature, which generally requires finding and/or developing an unencumbered script that you want to make. You can then find a producer, raise money, etc. (In the situation you describe, the project is already set up, which is good. If the studio decides to move forward, I assume you're attached to direct the feature?)
I am attached to direct the feature, correct.

So how does it work if I've got scripts already optioned from un-repped writers? These are scripts that I am lining up at some point to direct. Is that something to discuss in these early meetings?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #14
AnyOtherName
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl72 View Post
I am attached to direct the feature, correct.

So how does it work if I've got scripts already optioned from un-repped writers? These are scripts that I am lining up at some point to direct. Is that something to discuss in these early meetings?
For sure! Definitely pass along scripts you've optioned for yourself to direct. There are (at least) two reasons for this: a) the more entrepreneurial you look, the more excited they'll be, and b) it gives them something to do!

Regarding b: see how quickly they read, whether their tastes align with yours, what their casting ideas are like, what their financing ideas are like, etc. That will give you SOME metric (albeit an imperfect one) by which to judge who's right for you. Good luck!
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
mrl72
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
For sure! Definitely pass along scripts you've optioned for yourself to direct. There are (at least) two reasons for this: a) the more entrepreneurial you look, the more excited they'll be, and b) it gives them something to do!

Regarding b: see how quickly they read, whether their tastes align with yours, what their casting ideas are like, what their financing ideas are like, etc. That will give you SOME metric (albeit an imperfect one) by which to judge who's right for you. Good luck!
That's good to know, thank you!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
Bono

I don't know crap, but would it make sense to show those projects he wants to direct scripts right away or maybe wait to see how meetings go... feel them out... focus on the short film - feature film... see if they pitch him anything first?

I'm just worried they will now judge the director on the screenplays he didn't write, but loves and is that better than just your great short film itself?

I just think the hot director is the property -- not the scripts themselves. Unless you feel these scripts are so amazing you think these writers should be repped today and it's just bad luck that they aren't repped... I think I'd feel differently if the writers had been repped before.

I'm just giving you the other side. I'm a writer, not a director, but I do know that sometimes when you get over excited and pitch too much -- they can't take it all in.

I don't know what your dream assignments are, but I always wanted to make a halloween, f13 or freddy movie. So if I'm a horror person, I may kind of sit there, hopefully they have stuff to offer me.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote