No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathy Muraviov

Hello there Guys

Have had some very promising correspondence with Kathy and she seems very interested in my script. Ive done my own background work and she seems like a very nice and successful lady as well as a passionate manager.

Is anyone reped by her on heer or has anyone got any info on what kind of sales she's got? This does not dictate if I go with a manager or not as it's about the passion for me. But am still interested.

All the best,

Kyle

Re: Kathy Muraviov

Hi, Kyle. Kathy is indeed very nice -- she offered me representation last year. I ended up not going with her for one simple reason (reinforced by a number of opinions here at DD once I made a post similar to yours) -- she has never actually sold a script. And she is known for sending out a TON of stuff.
    Do you really want to put yourself in the position of being someone's FIRST sale?
    My advice -- and what I've followed -- is this: there are only a relative handful of agents and managers in L.A. who actaully sell scripts. You need one of them repping you. It's hard enough WITH one of them. Without one of them, you have a better chance of winning the Power Ball lottery.
    Just my advice. Feel free to disagree. Good luck.

Comment

@jtw: I disagree with you. Kathy could be a great rep to have on your team. Granted, she does go out with a lot of stuff. But would you rather your script be one that Kathy goes out with or one that sits on your PC Desktop collecting cyberdust? Let her go to bat for you, Kyle, especially if it's a handshake agreement (ie no signed contract). Good luck!

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
        @jtw: I disagree with you. Kathy could be a great rep to have on your team. Granted, she does go out with a lot of stuff. But would you rather your script be one that Kathy goes out with or one that sits on your PC Desktop collecting cyberdust? Let her go to bat for you, Kyle, especially if it's a handshake agreement (ie no signed contract). Good luck!
        Yeah, you have to start somewhere.

Given her name recognition and background, this rep's first big sale might initiate an avalanche for her (and her clients, including you).

On the other hand, I smirk at these posts because we're all told that finding a "rep" is the way to go, and yet the frustration and waiting built-in to the process seems intolerable.

I have 17 scripts being read at the moment (actually, 7 different ones, multiple copies of some) to 13 different producers (some with >1 script).

No agent. No manager.

All I'm saying is, hopefully you're not sitting around waiting for that "rep" to do it for you. Now "that" would be frustrating (I could imagine). From what I hear, you're supposed to be self-marketing even after you get a rep.

If I had somebody remotely interested, as you seem to have, I'd jump at it. Nice is good, especially in these early days of your career when a lot aren't so nice (if they offer an opinion at all).

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
          Yeah, you have to start somewhere.

Given her name recognition and background, this rep's first big sale might initiate an avalanche for her (and her clients, including you).

On the other hand, I smirk at these posts because we're all told that finding a "rep" is the way to go, and yet the frustration and waiting built-in to the process seems intolerable.

I have 17 scripts being read at the moment (actually, 7 different ones, multiple copies of some) to 13 different producers (some with >1 script).

No agent. No manager.

All I'm saying is, hopefully you're not sitting around waiting for that "rep" to do it for you. Now "that" would be frustrating (I could imagine). From what I hear, you're supposed to be self-marketing even after you get a rep.

If I had somebody remotely interested, as you seem to have, I'd jump at it. Nice is good, especially in these early days of your career when a lot aren't so nice (if they offer an opinion at all).
          You have peaked my curiosity. Did you directly contact the producers out of the blue, or was there a prior relationship? Not that I want to copy your formula, or anything like that. No, not at all...

Comment

Originally posted by timstep View Post
            ...Not that I want to copy your formula, or anything like that. No, not at all...
            ha, you'd not want to! A lot of work (described below).

Well, you might want to if it ever works out for me, I suppose.

Then I can create a newsletter, and sell my 8-point plan for $49.99 off my blog, with seminars and podcasts and... and... and...

No, I just want to write scripts and see my movies. Simple.

Anyway, to answer the q, I just used a combination of imdb, google and DDPro search to get email addresses, and then blindly queried methodically and relentlessly. 3300 and counting. Most of those in the past year, and I'd say I only had a real system in the past 6 months.

Also, being a way-out-of-towner, I hired an in-town lawyer. I stipulate right up top in the query that I can get him to do further correspondence/submissions, so it's visible, hopefully, before the recipient hits <DELETE>.

Some take me up on the offer, but most (who respond) just let me send the scripts, usually with their release.

And, yes, lots of these have stipulated "do not accept unsolicited scripts" on their websites.

It's not an easy life for writers in our position.

Comment

Working...
            X