Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
slupo

Default Mention movies a person was involved with at general?

Do you guys mention movies a proco/producer was involved in at a general? Is it cheesy?
slupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Mention movies a person was involved with at general?

as long as they were hits
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
sallain
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slupo View Post
Do you guys mention movies a proco/producer was involved in at a general? Is it cheesy?
As long as I genuinely liked it, (or my mom did.)

I don't think it's cheesy, I think it's a good topic of conversation. I've even mentioned trailers for upcoming movies. (Though in that case, the producer mentioned he just finished xxx, and I said I saw the trailer for it and it looks good.) You don't have to gush, but I think everyone appreciates a genuine compliment.
sallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
Staircaseghost
Regular

I'm at a loss to think of a job interview in any industry -- restaurants, securities law, bricklaying, the IRS, steel foundries -- where not expressing your admiration for your prospective employer is a plus.

"So, why do you think you would be a good fit writing for our [low-budget horror with a comic edge to it] production company?"

"Oh, is that what you guys do here? I just want tens of thousands of dollars from someone, anyone, and couldn't be arsed to look into what you were all about."

I wouldn't just mention projects they'd done, I'd learn as many as I could, backwards and forwards. The trick is to be as downright effusive as possible without coming across as insincere. Bring them up naturally in conversation, in connection with your own material. (e.g. "How many takes did you have to do to get that chainsaw breakdancing scene down? I wrote a similar XYZ scene one time but was scared no one would ever be able to shoot it with practical FX on a budget")
Staircaseghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staircaseghost View Post
I'm at a loss to think of a job interview in any industry -- restaurants, securities law, bricklaying, the IRS, steel foundries -- where not expressing your admiration for your prospective employer is a plus.
Because offering up a compliment or praise in this business can be a tricky thing if you don't know 100% what the real history behind a project is. Even if the producer you're meeting with was credited on something that was a success, it may have been a nightmare process for them to get it made.

For example, there is an Oscar-winning biopic that is credited to one screenwriter of note (who alone won the award for Best Screenplay), but that is is understood to have been re-written in terms of what actually ended up on the screen by another uncredited writer. Screenwriter-Of-Note just had a pilot picked up. If I go in to meet with them for staffing, and bring up their Oscar and that script, it may have a positive association for them or it may dredge up bad memories of being rewritten and the credit issues.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
slupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
Because offering up a compliment or praise in this business can be a tricky thing if you don't know 100% what the real history behind a project is. Even if the producer you're meeting with was credited on something that was a success, it may have been a nightmare process for them to get it made.

For example, there is an Oscar-winning biopic that is credited to one screenwriter of note (who alone won the award for Best Screenplay), but that is is understood to have been re-written in terms of what actually ended up on the screen by another uncredited writer. Screenwriter-Of-Note just had a pilot picked up. If I go in to meet with them for staffing, and bring up their Oscar and that script, it may have a positive association for them or it may dredge up bad memories of being rewritten and the credit issues.
Yeah exactly. Like the reason I was asking was today I had a general with a director for the first time. And then he mentioned his most recent movie. I just kind of nodded, not saying I'd seen it/liked it/etc. And then he told me how he shouldn't have done it and it was a bad decision etc etc.

So I think I'll probably only talk about past projects if they come up in conversation and the person seems happy about it.

Thanks for the thoughtful advice everyone.
slupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
UnequalProductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by slupo View Post
You mean when you meat a proco/producer, do you mention his/her/their movies?

YES. They are the greatest things you've ever seen. They know you're blowing smoke up their ***, but who doesn't enjoy getting their ego stroked.

On top of that, they're producers. The whole reason they do this is to get their ego stroked.
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote