Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Plot Point One
New User

Default How to Approach Showrunners

I have an original pilot that had a little bitty fire under it until it fell victim to the strike. It was suggested that I find a showrunner who might be interested. Do I go through the HCD and send query letters to showrunners who have shows that are the same genre as the one I've written? Also, would the query letter be any different from the kind I would send any other producer?
Plot Point One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
jimjimgrande

Default Re: How to Approach Showrunners

I don't think that's a great suggestion. Unless the showrunner has a production company that is actively looking for projects to produce, they are not going to be interested or willing to expend energy getting someone else's show off the ground when they need it for their own projects in development.
jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
cvolante

I don't know much about it but I can say I've heard of a lot of people making webisodes to get attention. Or shooting a few scenes-- not even a pilot but kind of the essence of what the pilot would be.
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Filmmagician
Regular

What about contacting a showrunners agent to read your spec for a writing job on their series?
Filmmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
ducky1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmagician View Post
What about contacting a showrunners agent to read your spec for a writing job on their series?
Showrunners get tons of material filtered from PODs, studios, networks, agencies, managers, people they know, etc so they get swamped for their shows from everywhere -- coming from their own agent doesn't exactly make it more appealing.

Also an agent wouldn't want to just send their showrunner client a lot unless it's worth their while because they know how busy they are -- and they don't want to be fired for making more work for them.

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky1288 View Post
Showrunners get tons of material filtered from PODs, studios, networks, agencies, managers, people they know, etc so they get swamped for their shows from everywhere -- coming from their own agent doesn't exactly make it more appealing.

Also an agent wouldn't want to just send their showrunner client a lot unless it's worth their while because they know how busy they are -- and they don't want to be fired for making more work for them.
+1.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote