Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #22
grumpywriter

Default Re: General boredom

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnequalProductions View Post
You're confused? I'm probably even more confused.

The first pilot we wrote got a really great response when it first went out. We met with production companies until we decided who we wanted to go with. They had a first-look deal with a studio. Then we met with WME who repped our producer. They all "helped" us with our pitch, and when it was ready, we started hitting networks. Pitched everywhere. Didn't sell.

We did tons of rewrites both of the pilot and the pitch for every person along the chain. Never got anything out of it. Not even an option.

Since then, we've written a handful more pilots. Signed on with a lit agent. And now we're getting meetings again.

We met with an executive with a studio, and he said "We like to see writers in with just their projects. Having a bunch of producers attached is a major turn off."

Every time I think I understand part of the business side, someone else tells me something completely different.

All I want to do is write. Went to the coffee shop last night with nothing particular to work on, and just started writing scenes. Felt so much better than worrying about all this other junk.
Amen to that! That's why my approach has ALWAYS been to have a day job that pays the bills, is relatively stress-free, and still gives me time to write. I've been lucky enough to be in that situation for the last eight years and it frees me to write and not worry about what happens (or doesn't happen) with any of my scripts. I just write what I like, send it out via my manager. If someone bites, great, if not, who cares...
grumpywriter is offline   Reply With Quote