Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Writing Video Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2016, 11:34 PM   #11
DIABOLUS
User

Default Re: Your Favorite Video Game, Story-Wise (and why)

Max Payne 1 for the stylish noir dialogue.

Snow was falling like ashes from post-apocalyptic skies, but that was outside. Things would soon get hot in the Don's restaurant.

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

He was trying to buy more sand for his hour glass. I wasn't selling any.

Turn around, walk away, blow town. That would have been the smart thing to do. I guess I wasn't that smart.

He had a baseball bat and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.

Punchinello was burning to get me. The feeling was mutual. He was trying to put out my flames with gasoline.

Collecting evidence had gotten old a few hundred bullets back. I was already so far past the point of no return I couldn't even remember what it looked like when I had passed it.

After Y2K, the end of the world had become a cliché. But who was I to talk, a brooding underdog avenger alone against an empire of evil, out to right a grave injustice? Everything was subjective. There were only personal apocalypses. Nothing is a cliché when it's happening to you.

It wasn't about how smart or how good you were. It was chaos and luck, and anyone who thought different was a fool.

Vlad was one of those old time bad guys with honor and morals, which almost made him one of the good guys. None of us was a saint.

I also love Silent Hill 2's story...a man gets a letter from his wife saying she is waiting for him in Silent Hill, in their special place. Only problem is, she died several years earlier. Protagonist goes to find her and is forced to confront his inner demons and the truth behind what happened with his wife. Great character study with lots of metaphors and symbology.
DIABOLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
stainjm

For me, the Unchartered Games and 2013 Tomb Raider/ Rise of the Tomb Raider. Amazing games!

Also, I'm super excited to see this video game section on here finally I wrote at Telltale for 2 years (Game of Thrones, Walking Dead Michonne, etc.) and have done freelance, consulting, and writing for mobile since. Happy to chat / answer questions people might have.
stainjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #13
TheConnorNoden

We finally have a video games section?! About time!

From a story perspective my top 3 (at least off the top of my head)

1. Metal Gear Solid - Very little needs to be said about this. MGS is the reason that storytelling has become so important in modern gaming. Every character here is so iconic, to the point where it feels like a damn shame when you have to kill any of the bosses.

2. To the Moon - If you haven't played this then please do. It's heartbreaking.

3. The Zero Escape Series - No form of creative media has ever had so many mind boggling twists. They're fascinating games with some heavy sci-fi concepts and a thorough exploration of human nature.

There are so many others but these are the ones that stick with me.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #14
Ven
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananos View Post
Knights of the old republic! it was immensely satisisfying after the disappointments that was the prequel trilogy in Star Wars. It was made with a love for the old trilogy and had a fantastic twist in the end.
I had this game on Xbox but never played past the first level or two. Which was sad, because it looked like a great game. Just came at the end of my prime video game days.

For me, the answer to this question will probably always be Chrono Trigger.
Magical story.
Ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
Anagram

Definitely my favorites are:

1) Bioshock
2) Uncharted
3) Half life

There's so many, but those are the ones that come to mind when I think of storylines that I loved.
Anagram is offline   Reply With Quote