Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2019, 03:56 AM   #1
fotonchev
User

Default Project requested, no agent/manager to send it

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask for a help! I've got this problem, after querying a very respected producer and his company I've got a great response to my pitch:

"Thank you for reaching out! We really appreciate the interest in our company regarding this project. It sounds very exciting! Do you have an agent or a lawyer who you can submit it through? "

Well, trouble is I don't have an agent or manager and people in those agencies are like "walking dead". No sign of life after dozens of queries. No one even bothered to say "not interested".

My request is if someone here has a connection willing to share or some agent/manager lurking around and willing to give a hand would be great.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 05:36 AM   #2
BariNeon
New User

Default Re: Project requested, no agent/manager to send it

Pretty sure your options here will be to either pay a lawyer a flat fee to submit it for you, or they might accept a submission release form instead (worth asking if the other options aren't viable for you).
BariNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
docgonzo

To be honest, this sounds like a pass. From time to time you might hear the term "soft pass." That's when someone doesn't want to look like the bad guy while being the bearer of bad news. Which, in this case, is passing on your script.

We've all been there. Just keep plugging away and good things will come.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
To be honest, this sounds like a pass. From time to time you might hear the term "soft pass." That's when someone doesn't want to look like the bad guy while being the bearer of bad news. Which, in this case, is passing on your script.

We've all been there. Just keep plugging away and good things will come.
It is a very kind pass, as indicated above. If they loved it, they'd send an NDA without an agent. No one reads a query they love then puts roadblocks up. Just keep sending them out.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
fotonchev
User

Thanks guys, you may well be right. It's a weird way to pass though I'd prefer the "not interested" type of pass.

Last edited by fotonchev : 06-01-2019 at 10:55 AM.
fotonchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Lahlowen
User

It's more of a 'cover his ass' move than a pass, IMO. It's great that he liked the sound of it, so let him know that you don't have a rep at this time, but would love to circle back and send once you have one, if he feels that's required. See what he says. If he says great, then great. Bookmark this email and go seek a rep and have them submit to him once you have one in place. If he surprisingly says, "No worries, go ahead and send." then there ya go.

Never walk away from an open door entirely, even if the opening is just a tiny crack with the chain lock still attached.
Lahlowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahlowen View Post
It's more of a 'cover his ass' move than a pass, IMO. It's great that he liked the sound of it, so let him know that you don't have a rep at this time, but would love to circle back and send once you have one, if he feels that's required. See what he says. If he says great, then great. Bookmark this email and go seek a rep and have them submit to him once you have one in place. If he surprisingly says, "No worries, go ahead and send." then there ya go.

Never walk away from an open door entirely, even if the opening is just a tiny crack with the chain lock still attached.
i'm closer to this. send him an email back and explain that at this time you are not represented, but you'd be happy to sign a release or resubmit when you do have representation.

let them direct you. they will do one of three things: 1) send a release and allow you to submit, 2) ask you to submit when you have a rep, 3) ignore you all together, b/c they probably won't say, it's a pass.

you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. go for it.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotonchev View Post
"Thank you for reaching out! We really appreciate the interest in our company regarding this project. It sounds very exciting! Do you have an agent or a lawyer who you can submit it through? "
That is not a soft pass. A soft pass is, "This is not our cup of tea" or "this is not quite right for us." Those are soft passes. (I've written plenty of those letters for others and on my own behalf.) We would also "soft pass" by telling them to send it through my boss' agency/agent. That would do the trick too. They could take care of all for us and keep my boss' hands clean, so to speak.

Now, if that was meant as a pass letter than it deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for the one of the "Worst, Most Misleading Pass Letter." The person should be let go from the company. Seriously.

It's a simple question. Do you have a rep? That's all. Write them back and say, you are not currently repped but would be more than willing to sign a release. You have nothing to lose by doing that. (I was typing as finalact4 was posting. See her note too.)

If I read or heard a query that I really liked, I had the permission to offer to send a release form. Didn't do it often; but absolutely could and would if something caught my eye.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 06-01-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Punctation and grammar
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
fotonchev
User

Some very good suggestions here! Thank you all, much appreciated! I'm going to ask them what options do I have submitting the project without a rep or if they would refer me to theirs. Bold but it could turn out to be the winning strategy
Old 06-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
Satriales
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotonchev View Post
Some very good suggestions here! Thank you all, much appreciated! I'm going to ask them what options do I have submitting the project without a rep or if they would refer me to theirs. Bold but it could turn out to be the winning strategy
Whatís your goal here? Youíve taken the good advice above and gone all Leeroy Jenkins with it. Donít ask what options you have. Say you will gladly sign a release. If they read it and like it, then a referral could be in play.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote