Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
magicghost2977
User

Default Response time from producers

hello everyone, long time listener, first time caller...

I was wondering how different the routines are from production companies to agencies, managers, studios, etc...

I have a script at a couple management companies and a couple production companies and just wondered if one tends to get back sooner than another... This begins week three of the work being in their hands and I figure 3-6 weeks for turnaround time, more or less...

Any information appreciated...
magicghost2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Jcorona

Default Re: Response time from producers

My experiences have varied, magic. But I usually follow-up after a month if I don't hear anything.

Good luck and welcome,

Corona
Jcorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
odriftwood

Three to four weeks is cool. You'd be amazed at how many of those people haven't even read your stuff by now.
odriftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
RoscoeP
Regular

I posted this same question on another board (and here) because I'm waiting too. The response I got from a writer with multiple deals was this: If you're a working writer with any kind of reputation, expect a response within a few days. If you're not, expect a response after two weekends, after that you're getting blown off. Off the subject, he also said that if you're asked for more than two writing samples that you're getting dicked around (and that you should never give anyone more than two scripts as samples).

He even went so far as to say that before he was working, if he didn't get a response after two weekends he would kindly request his script back. The jist being (I guess) that you have to be willing to value yourself and consider your work valuable enough to be read.

There is even an interview from a big shot on two adverbs (don't remember which one) where the he said (recalling the best I can) that: "Executives are going to kill me, but you have to follow up every two weeks until you get a response."
RoscoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
amandag

Wink Re: Response time from producers

RoscoeP, I definately don't have multiple deals, but some of the stuff seems a little hardcore. In fairness, maybe that's why I don't have multiple deals.

"If you're not, expect a response after two weekends, after that you're getting blown off."

In my experience (and maybe I have been blown off ) two weeks is like two hours in reading time. I've had less than a handful of people respond this fast with material not sent out by a manager, even if they're calling to see something else. Usually it's a month +.

"Off the subject, he also said that if you're asked for more than two writing samples that you're getting dicked around"

How come? If I'm looking for managers/agents, and I have more than two samples, I want to make sure we're on the same wavelength with the majority of my work. I also want to make sure a prospective rep is interested enough to take time to read the other material.

"He even went so far as to say that before he was working, if he didn't get a response after two weekends he would kindly request his script back."

Why? To make a point? To have the copy? Just curious.
amandag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
RoscoeP
Regular

I can't genuinely argue with any of your responses because I was only giving second hand information.

He did explain that the two samples reasoning was that they want to believe they're finding a brilliant "new" writer. Also, that two samples is enough for them to guage your talent.

At a conference even, a well known producer said that the moment someone tells him they've written six or eight scripts, he won't request to read their stuff. His reasoning (not mine) is that they must suck if they've written that much and have nothing to show for it.

As for requesting back his stuff after two weeks, I got the impression that it was to make a point of not undervaluing him. Personally, I don't think I would have the balls for that one yet.

And again, just sharing second hand information that I found interesting from a writer who managed to build an enviable career.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
amandag

He did explain that the two samples reasoning was that they want to believe they're finding a brilliant "new" writer. Also, that two samples is enough for them to guage your talent.

I can see that point, Roscoe. Thanks for clarifying.
amandag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
English Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeP
I posted this same question on another board (and here) because I'm waiting too. The response I got from a writer with multiple deals was this: If you're a working writer with any kind of reputation, expect a response within a few days. If you're not, expect a response after two weekends, after that you're getting blown off. Off the subject, he also said that if you're asked for more than two writing samples that you're getting dicked around (and that you should never give anyone more than two scripts as samples).

He even went so far as to say that before he was working, if he didn't get a response after two weekends he would kindly request his script back. The jist being (I guess) that you have to be willing to value yourself and consider your work valuable enough to be read.
Roscoe I would take this with a pinch of salt. I waited so long for a response to a new pitch from a company I actually had something in development with that I forgot they even had it.

Truth is there is a finite amount of time to read and respond, and a pile of scripts that doesn't necessarlily get read in date order. Gentle reminders now and then will get it read eventually. Being blown off might take two weeks or two months. It is how quickly they respond AFTER they have read it that counts.

PS I don't know of any working writer who has ever requested their script back. It flags up 'nutter'

Care to share a name?
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
RoscoeP
Regular

English, yeah, you make sense. I am buying into at least following up in two weeks. Nothing obnoxious, just a single line note. Seems to me that within two weeks your script could already have begun the slow crawl toward the pile of doom if you don't say something. If it's just that the reader is behind, it doesn't seem to me that a kind (quick) reminder is going to suddenly make them not want to read your script.

As for the requesting the script back, it's nothing I would do. But after reading a great deal of what this writer has posted, it actually fits his personality (in a good way).
Old 03-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
English Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeP
As for the requesting the script back, it's nothing I would do. But after reading a great deal of what this writer has posted, it actually fits his personality (in a good way).

Roscoe two weeks is nothing for an unrepped unproduced writer. Believe me -

Here's what's going to happen, you pester prodco X to read your script ASAP and so do 40 other wannabees that week. You get hacked off after two weeks and ask for your script back? If there's a SASE there, boy are you going to get it back. And don't bother submitting anything else.

Send polite reminders after 4 weeks and you will get read.
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote