Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2006, 03:15 AM   #31
nic.h

Default Re: Asian Prodcos

Actually, Brough, re your comment about only non-passport holding Aussies thinking the term is racist... Well, that's just not true. I've had two passports, filled one to the brim with trips throughout Asia (among other places), and can categorically state that the term "Oriental" is virtually never heard here by anyone under the age of 80. I'm not even sure it's used by people over the age of 80. Partly it's a political thing, but mostly it's an age thing. It's just really old fashioned language, not used since the days when "coloured" was considered polite terminology. I am not talking about America. I haven't lived in the US for some years now. I'm talking about here, in Australia. And proximity is a big part of that. But I take your point about "Asian" being too generic and no more helpful than Oriental. It's just a more recent term saying basically the same thing.

I think we're agreeing here - though I wonder if "Oriental" was ever used as a word here, given that, as I said earlier, it isn't East of us at all. North, really. And bit West.

As for the list... I would love a list. This is definitely a growing market and I have one script, possibly two that are perfect for Asia, broadly, Japan in particular.
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote