Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #21
gridlock'd

Default Re: Manager request for reads- how many are to be expected?

Who are you guys querying? I can't even create a 'wide net'.

Benderspink, Odenkirk and Underground Management are the only ones I know that say they'll look at unsolicated material. I have a comedy. Can you recommend some other management companies I should try?
gridlock'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #22
thought_arcade
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlock'd View Post
Who are you guys querying? I can't even create a 'wide net'.

Benderspink, Odenkirk and Underground Management are the only ones I know that say they'll look at unsolicated material. I have a comedy. Can you recommend some other management companies I should try?
All of them.

EVERYONE will look at unsolicited material if the logline strikes them.

Look at the anecdote I posted a few posts back - the big company was Mosaic. One manager there referred me to the legal department saying they don't accept unsolicited material. Another manager from Mosaic emailed me back, we started a conversation and has now asked for everything I've ever done, ever.

So yeah - query EVERYONE.
thought_arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
Bono

Exactly. Everyone. I sent out 1000 of emails to agents/managers, got about 50-60 read requests, maybe 20 of those lead to mini relationships where we keep talking/meeting in person, and ultimately got 2 offers to rep me and my writing partner.

It's not easy. You have to keep working at it. And for the record the company I signed with, I got turned down by two other managers there, until I got a third one to like us. So even at the same company you have to try more than one person there.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #24
Rantanplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Exactly. Everyone. I sent out 1000 of emails to agents/managers, got about 50-60 read requests, maybe 20 of those lead to mini relationships where we keep talking/meeting in person, and ultimately got 2 offers to rep me and my writing partner.

It's not easy. You have to keep working at it. And for the record the company I signed with, I got turned down by two other managers there, until I got a third one to like us. So even at the same company you have to try more than one person there.
1000. Yikes !! Yep, the process sucks, but your experience is definitely proof that persistence pays off.

And here's what sucks even more: you send out a few, you get a few read requests, you're feeling all great because you're batting 50 percent. Then they say no, so then you keep querying, and again, and again, and now you're batting 20 percent, 15 percent, oh no, 10 percent, do I keep going ??

Mental fortitude is indeed the name of the game. Talent helps also of course, but say you're talented but you give up at 150, thinking OK, this script's a wash, I should just move on, whereas manager no. 200 was in fact going to be the one to offer representation... we gotta be the freaking Energizer Bunny ! And the mental fatigue and insecurity the rejections bring cause many, many a talented writer to throw in the towel, of that I am absolutely convinced.

I just found out yesterday my novel is going to be published by a well respected e-publisher of lit fiction after --oh lord this is embarrassing-- after NINE years. !!! Granted I did not send 1000 queries, more like 200 over the course of all these years, but still, it just goes to show. I could never let myself put it in the drawer, I always believed in it, and I would periodically think about it some more, make some changes and send it out while working on other projects. And then just like that, boom.

But at the beginning of the whole process, I would have agents tell me things like "I can see a bright future ahead of you, but this is not for me." "I wouldn't be at all surprised if another agent snapped you right up, but this is not for me." Etc etc. Man, so much of it is just pure chance, falling on the ONE person that really connects with your work. Others can find it competent and engaging, but somehow don't like it enough. They can find it well written and clever and thoughtful, and still pass. It's soooo subjective, and we need to remind ourselves of that at all times and keep pushing to find that one person who's subjective in our favor.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #25
Charisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought_arcade View Post
All of them.

EVERYONE will look at unsolicited material if the logline strikes them.

Look at the anecdote I posted a few posts back - the big company was Mosaic. One manager there referred me to the legal department saying they don't accept unsolicited material. Another manager from Mosaic emailed me back, we started a conversation and has now asked for everything I've ever done, ever.

So yeah - query EVERYONE.
Hi arCade.

Ballz paid off for you arCade. Good!

Yep. The wide net garnered me a lot of read requests--- damned Bono 50-60 is a helluva lot-- congrats on your hard work opening doors.

I don't listen to the not taking anymore clients/ unsolicited stuff.
ICM requested a read--- kind of a trip, they required a notarized sig on the submission form w/ the script.

Very few agent responses--- 8 agents vs 40 manager read requests. I thought that was a lot. Sheesh. Agents a tuff nut. I just want an opportunity to get in the rooms w/ em and close them. We'll see.

What was the ave time for their reply Bono? Curious.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #26
Bono

People would respond in minutes if they were interested (if they were in front of their blackberry/computers that is). But usually within hours or the same day at the latest. I never got a request like two weeks later or anything.

Also sometimes I got ignored, so I would send out more than one query to same person and some of them requested it later.

Got to keep on it, without bugging them too much, but there's no way to make it, without bugging them somewhat.

Just keep the query short, give the logline and anything else that helps sell it. But keep it short as can be.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #27
Charisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
People would respond in minutes if they were interested (if they were in front of their blackberry/computers that is). But usually within hours or the same day at the latest. I never got a request like two weeks later or anything.

Also sometimes I got ignored, so I would send out more than one query to same person and some of them requested it later.

Got to keep on it, without bugging them too much, but there's no way to make it, without bugging them somewhat.

Just keep the query short, give the logline and anything else that helps sell it. But keep it short as can be.
Hi bOno.

Thanks I agree on everything above. Kinda funny. They seem to request right away. It seems they are all over their emails. Addicted. Can't see em that tweaked on snail approach.

bOno. I was interested in the time frames they got back to you in after you submitted the script. I've had 4 get right back-w/in 24 hours. 3 were big hitters and said they really liked the writing... subject matter tuff.

One big cat asked if I had more scripties. Also asked where I studied s/writing. What's the studied s/writing about?

How did the courtships run? In office meets? Phone chats? Curious.

I'm confident that if/when I get in the rooms they'll know we'll kill on assignment meetings and their commissions will flow. I hear a lot about being 'sent' to 'general' meetings etc. I know it's one step at a time, but I can't help but salivate at the thought of the opportunity to pitch the industry in person.

Although I believe the writing to be stellar (everyone is confident in their skill-set) I believe the room performance at meets will be nothing less than stunning and shall definitely set my partner and I apart from the crowd.

Hopefully we'll see about that. (Might get thrown out on our aszes and leave scratching our heads.) Nah. I don't believe that for a second.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #28
Pardack
Regular

I would favor personal reccommendations over the wide net approach.

When I got my manager, my rate was 100%. One manager inquiry, through referral. It seemed a lot better than previous efforts I had made throwing thirty inquiries out on an earlier script.
Pardack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #29
Charisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardack View Post
I would favor personal reccommendations over the wide net approach.

When I got my manager, my rate was 100%. One manager inquiry, through referral. It seemed a lot better than previous efforts I had made throwing thirty inquiries out on an earlier script.
Hi parDack.

Congrats and thanks for your thoughts. Glad that worked for you. I've considered that but I'd prefer to try to snag one on my own first. If I can't --then I'll certainly look at that avenue. (Beggars can't be choosers-- that applies to me, not directed at you) Besides, by going this way hopefully I'll have a choice on who we go with based on their stature and other considerations.

One referral and immediately signing on seems somewhat like an arranged marriage... but I'm sure they were a perfect fit for you and vice-versa.

Don't get me wrong-- in a worst-case scenario I would/will take an arranged marriage my damned self. Gets you in play right away and then you have an opportunity to operate... which is the objective.

Best of luck.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #30
Bono

Pardack -- We ALL would prefer the 100% route, but that is based on your reality. It's not an approach, it's just what happened to you. Plenty of people here have had referrals and didn't end up with getting signed. A referral isn't a instant ticket to getting signed. And many people can't get one in the first place. The wide net approach is what most people take.

Charisma -- First you must tell me why in every post handles have a random letter CAPITALIZED -- like my name is always bOno with you.

Truth is, most people never got back to me about my script and the ones that did I had to email them to find out what was up. But the people that liked it, the ones that offered to rep us, got in touch with me two days after reading it.

A few nice people emailed me to "say not for me" a week or two later, but those were few. Truth is, if they don't like your writing and consider signing you, most managers won't get in touch with you. They already moved on.

So I always followed up, but in retrospect, it was pretty pointless as anyone that was interested let us know.

We did get two offers, but I did have 3 or 4 managers that seemed very interested in us too, but wouldn't commit. Some looking for hip pocket situations or waiting to read our new script. So many ups and downs, it's hard to remember them all now. Just want to say we did get more than two bites, but only two people were wiling to say "we want to rep you guys."

But truth is, doesn't matter what happened to me. Only what happens to you. As Pardack showed, each case is different.