Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Script Deals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2019, 12:23 AM   #1
Bono

Default Rebooted insanity

They are just rebooting everything and itís getting so weird. Thatís all. I like some of it but I hate a lot of it. So guess how confused the writer is who is trying to write original material and told itís not special enough. Weíd rather redo a show from 1973 than take on your idea. Your comedy spec is okay but letís remake the same movie again. We are in some weird loop.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: Rebooted insanity

Agreed!

Even when I was up for some reboot TV sh!t I was like "Cool... maybe it'll be a paycheck." That's it. I would have had to really TRY to be excited. Cue the fake smile...

I'd WAAAAAAAAAAAY rather staff on an original show. Now THAT would be awesome!

Are there those among us who'd RATHER write reboot stuff? Maybe? I just can't imagine a writer flipping out over that.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
Bono

I want to write them all -- especially Saved By the Bell and horror remakes... i was just saying when you're on the outside with your spec they keep making less and less room for you...
Old 09-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
finalact4

I read that they're rebooting Battlestar Galactica, again, which I thought was really well done last time. This is the 3rd time, right?

There were several announcements of reboots from one of the networks, ABC, think, could be wrong--

I don't understand this "play it safe," mentality. I get they have an IP they own and they want to exploit it, but geez where's the new content?
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
GucciGhostXXX

For me, there's one, and only one reboot I'd seriously be 100% THRILLED to write on...

TWILIGHT ZONE

My favorite writer/creator (Serling) and TV show of all time. Seen every episode a minimum of 20 times.

But, yeah, this reboot addiction is outta control and killing all of our original content. Those of us who aren't already produced. It's as if they're literally no way in if you're unproduced. Sold something, worked with big players. Meh... no one cares.

On my first show there were 3 of us trying to make our shows. Both of their shows got picked up and went to series. I was far along on mine, I'm like "I'm next. This is kinda easy." I've learned since how utterly fukkin RARE that is.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
For me, there's one, and only one reboot I'd seriously be 100% THRILLED to write on...

TWILIGHT ZONE

My favorite writer/creator (Serling) and TV show of all time. Seen every episode a minimum of 20 times.

But, yeah, this reboot addiction is outta control and killing all of our original content. Those of us who aren't already produced. It's as if they're literally no way in if you're unproduced. Sold something, worked with big players. Meh... no one cares.

On my first show there were 3 of us trying to make our shows. Both of their shows got picked up and went to series. I was far along on mine, I'm like "I'm next. This is kinda easy." I've learned since how utterly fukkin RARE that is.
TZ is one of my favorites too. Probably because it's such a writer's show and ahead of it's time. It's still feels fresh today somehow. It's one of the best, if not the best, shows of all time.

It probably has the idea to every other TV show or movie in it somewhere... so many cool ideas and they weren't all evil either. Some were very sweet. All human.

I haven't seen the reboot, but I've seen the movie and other things they tried to do with it... it just never equaled the magic of one creative man Rod Serling.

https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/r...g-b9654bfd3783

And I love to do deep dives with people like him.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
GucciGhostXXX

Yup!

For me, best show of all time. And agreed, I believe a lot of movie ideas were lifted from one of the many excellent episodes. For sure M Night jacked the idea for The Village from that one episode where the astronauts killed each other off over water thinking they were on a different planet, but had never actually left earth. I'm sure there are many other examples.

Yes, so much humanity in his stories. So much social commentary. Dude was WAY ahead of his time. I'm surprised he even got the show on the air.

Thanks for the link, I'll deep dive it when I have time.

I admit I repurposed one of my favorite lines of his in one of my scripts as a way to slip in an homage.

Ps... I used to live across the street from one of the original staff writers. Her windows were barred. Rarely ventured outside. What a wasted opportunity to talk to someone like that. I was too young to understand the significance and had no thoughts of writing at that time, I just liked the show.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Bono

I also associated that show and the great the honeymooners with New Yearís Eve parties when I was younger.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
GucciGhostXXX

This is the line btw-

"Every writer is a frustrated actor who recites his lines in the hidden auditorium of his skull.” — Rod Serling

It's so fukking *SERLING*

Mine became...

"Facts and logic rehearsed to the point of automation in the hidden auditorium of his skull. His language slenderized toward unemotional theses nearly in 1s and 0s—no poetry necessary herein."

For me, his line conjures an image of a desperate man alone, in an empty auditorium, no audience, performing for only himself because no one else cares. Yet, he can still imagine the "boos." He can feel them in the silence, and it's painful. So he resets and tries again... and again... and again to win over an audience who isn't there, and will never come. Continue that neuroses into infinity... as we slowly PULL BACK and FADE TO BLACK.

That's how his line hits me. It's fukkin RAD!
Old 09-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I also associated that show and the great the honeymooners with New Yearís Eve parties when I was younger.
Honeymooners was great too!

For me I associate it with the marathon. Every year (forget what day it was?). As I kid I'd sit there all day and watch the whole thing start to finish. The only time I've ever binge watched.