Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KILLING ON CARNIVAL ROW by Travis Beacham

Cool script. Very visual, dark atmospheric, conflicted characters. Beacham really created an alternate world in a believable way...in many ways, a mirror held up to our current society.

Curious to hear other DD'ers thoughts on this. I know I'm late on reading this as it sold a while ago(almost 2 years ago?).

Re: KILLING ON CARNIVAL ROW by Travis Beacham

Love this script, have read it several times. Be tough to make, but if pulled off could be a brilliant film.
    "There's one way to guarantee something won't be in the movie: put it in the screenplay."
    -Dan O'Bannon

Comment

I loved it, personally.

Comment

It's absolutely brilliant. This is a great, GREAT example of a knockout punch. The world described is so tangible that I can smell the acrid smoke from the coal fires and hear klaxons in the foggy streets of London/Vienna. Completely original. Would make a great pulp novel.
        "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Liked it a lot, though as others have noted the procedural story becomes kind of familiar. But the world he created carried the day.

Comment

I thought it was fun and extremely creative. Definitely one of the best scripts I've ever read in terms of originality and execution.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

This script was buckets of awesome. Another deliciously morbid read was The Many Deaths Of Barnaby James. More fun than grave robbing.
              Aaaa! Gobble gobble gobble gobble!

Comment

Loved it.

Can't believe the film's in development hell. Get Guillermo Del Toro to make it, it'd be perfect.

Comment

I would greatly appreciate if someone could PM me the script

Comment

Can't PM scripts, only email them, or post a link for them...if you PM me your email, I should be able to send it your way.

I couldn't make it past page 20 on this script. Didn't really think it was all that. Of course, it's my opinion,
                    The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

It's funny - this is the one script I just can't seem to sit down and read. I keep trying to, but everytime, I end up either forgetting about it, or I start reading another script instead.

I have not heard one bad thing about this script. Everyone loves it. I really gotta read it.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                        It's funny - this is the one script I just can't seem to sit down and read. I keep trying to, but everytime, I end up either forgetting about it, or I start reading another script instead.

I have not heard one bad thing about this script. Everyone loves it. I really gotta read it.

Same here. It took me a few weeks to actually read it. It's worth the wait.
                        "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

i think we all agree it's an awesome script. it oozes originality and style. so i'll point out some of what i didnt like about it which largely has to do with plotting.

SPOILER ALERT

philostrate runs from the cops. he had no reason to. he just saved a faerie's life. the logic behind this was razor thin as he somehow thought the faerie in his home would be incriminating. this took me out of the story for about five pages. but he did such a great job in the first act that i kept reading and all was eventually forgiven.

philostrate goes to the museum to check out the dead faerie even though there are a ton of constables there. and somehow doesnt get noticed until the end. even if you tip your hat to conceal your face, policemen who have worked with you unless theyre daft will realize it's you.

a huge coincidence occurs in the beginning where philostrate just happens to stumble upon unseelie jack attacking Vignette.

another remarkable coincidence occurs when the mayor kicks out the young faerie who then happens to be swooped up by unseelie jack.

but dont get me wrong, even with these issues where i felt the plot felt forced by the writer, the world is just too amazing to pass up. i think del toro wouldve been a fantastic director for the movie and i can see why its in development hell right now since it's gonna take someone of del toro's vision to really pull it off. i hope they dont jump the gun and place a lesser director into this world.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                            i think we all agree it's an awesome script. it oozes originality and style. so i'll point out some of what i didnt like about it which largely has to do with plotting.

SPOILER ALERT

philostrate runs from the cops. he had no reason to. he just saved a faerie's life. the logic behind this was razor thin as he somehow thought the faerie in his home would be incriminating. this took me out of the story for about five pages. but he did such a great job in the first act that i kept reading and all was eventually forgiven.

philostrate goes to the museum to check out the dead faerie even though there are a ton of constables there. and somehow doesnt get noticed until the end. even if you tip your hat to conceal your face, policemen who have worked with you unless theyre daft will realize it's you.

a huge coincidence occurs in the beginning where philostrate just happens to stumble upon unseelie jack attacking Vignette.

another remarkable coincidence occurs when the mayor kicks out the young faerie who then happens to be swooped up by unseelie jack.

but dont get me wrong, even with these issues where i felt the plot felt forced by the writer, the world is just too amazing to pass up. i think del toro wouldve been a fantastic director for the movie and i can see why its in development hell right now since it's gonna take someone of del toro's vision to really pull it off. i hope they dont jump the gun and place a lesser director into this world.

Agreed with the criticisms. I seem to be the only person on the planet who read it and looked like this afterward

Don't get me wrong, it oozes style and has lots of cool ideas, but I was disappointed with how by-the-numbers the plotting was. Some characters made very odd decisions. There's some bad dialogue in a lot of spots.

Ironically, Guillermo Del Toro is reviving this script as a series for Amazon. I say "ironically" because I think Carnival Row suffers from a lot of the same flaws that I see in his FX show "The Strain." Cool world, lots of interesting ideas, but its weighed down by thin characters, weird plot contrivances, and lots of predictable story beats.

Granted, I could be very wrong since everyone loves the script. Then again, I wasn't a Pacific Rim fan for a lot of the same reasons so maybe it's just really not my style.

Comment

Originally posted by FilmTony View Post
                              Agreed with the criticisms. I seem to be the only person on the planet who read it and looked like this afterward

Don't get me wrong, it oozes style and has lots of cool ideas, but I was disappointed with how by-the-numbers the plotting was. Some characters made very odd decisions. There's some bad dialogue in a lot of spots.

Ironically, Guillermo Del Toro is reviving this script as a series for Amazon. I say "ironically" because I think Carnival Row suffers from a lot of the same flaws that I see in his FX show "The Strain." Cool world, lots of interesting ideas, but its weighed down by thin characters, weird plot contrivances, and lots of predictable story beats.

Granted, I could be very wrong since everyone loves the script. Then again, I wasn't a Pacific Rim fan for a lot of the same reasons so maybe it's just really not my style.
                              Agree - it's really the ability to world build that really got everybody's attention here. Beacham hasn't shown he is the most brilliant writer when it comes to dialogue or character.

Oh, and if you love this script I advise you don't go back and read Midsummer Night's Dream. Might kill your appreciation a little as half the names and locations are lifted straight from it. =/
                              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Working...
                              X