No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Game

Douglas has been sorely underused the last several years
    If he's lucky he's sore from being overused by Zeta Jones the last several years.

Comment

I watched this the other night and I still feel pretty much the same about it.

Nicholas is not a sympathetic character. At all. I did not care what happened to him, if he was in real danger or not, if he really lost his millions, etc. I could not put myself in his shoes for even a moment. There was no chemistry between him and the woman, so I didn't even care if they hooked up or not. Plus, the story continues for about 5 minutes after it ends.

Oh well. I love the concept, at least. I just hate being told to feel sorry for characters who do not deserve any sympathy.

Like I said originally...it's a wholly unemotional movie. And that it never a good thing.

Comment

Bump

I watched this for the first time tonight and I really liked it! I didn't know it was a Fincher film until after the credits rolled. I don't remember who told me to add it to my Netflix but I'm glad I did.

I agree with Bio on the fact that Nick is a totally unlikeable protag. The whole time I was like, this guy is a super douche. But looking back I think he was supposed to be because as things got worse I sympathized with him more and more with each passing moment. And in the end he arcs for the better so it's nice to see that definite change.

I may like it better than Se7en... Not sure yet. I'll roll the idea around.
        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Yeah, the Douglas character is supposed to be an a$$hole, or the movie doesn't work as well as it does.

I saw this in the theater, and wasn't sure if I liked it or not 'cause it was so overly plotted in a way that ONLY works in movies. I caught it on DVD a year or so ago, and liked it much better the second time 'round. Not sure why 'cause EVERYTHING has to go right for it to work as it does, but I did like it, and I think that has more to do with Douglas than with Fincher's direction or the script. (I know, I know, I've blasphemed against the Fincher God...)

It is an underrated flick, and I'm still waiting for a special editions Blu-ray to come out.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
            I may like it better than Se7en...
            No, you don't. I'm making an executive decision.

Se7en is a masterpiece, plain and simple. The Game is an alright movie that is nowhere near as good as it could have been.

Comment

Garbage film.

Comment

Originally posted by 1mper1um View Post
                Garbage film.
                Very informative.
                Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Very informative.
                  It was a typo. He meant to write "Great film".

Not on par with Fincher's best like Zodiac (his best, IMO), Se7en, Fight Club and The Social Network, but still a damn good film. Douglas is great at playing a selfish prick.

Comment

Somehow I get the impression that wasn't too much of a stretch for Douglas. However, kudos where it is due, he showed he can take himself not so seriously as per his turn in One Night At McCool's.

Comment

I enjoy the movie, but you really have to turn off your brain to ignore all the plot holes. I usually have no problem suspending my disbelief in movies, but this one was tough.

Comment

Originally posted by KWhit View Post
                        I enjoy the movie, but you really have to turn off your brain to ignore all the plot holes. I usually have no problem suspending my disbelief in movies, but this one was tough.
                        Do you mind explaining what plot holes you are talking about? I think there are many false plot holes that get sealed up at the end...

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie Danjer View Post
                          Do you mind explaining what plot holes you are talking about? I think there are many false plot holes that get sealed up at the end...
                          If I may...

I don't think there were plot holes, per se, but that the entire movie was one big plot that would never ever work in real life. It's just too big. It's a conspiracy movie that only works if the character does exactly what he's written to do, and not how the character may or may not realistically act in situations that would necessitate someone acting completely outside their normal boundaries, i.e. they become very much unpredictable so, eventually, the Douglas character would do something that didn't follow the "script".

I remember seeing this in the theater and wondering how

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

they knew which corner/side of the building he was going to jump from. When I rewatched awhile back, I convinced myself that he was just following in Daddy's footsteps, and unconsciously chose the exact compass point to leap from so that's why they knew where to put the bag.

Assuming of course that he would choose to go out the same way Daddy did, and that he would not turn the gun on himself.

It's a perfectly plotted movie, but the mechanics are very evident. Now, I've convinced myself that that's okay 'cause that's part of the reason for the movie, but still...

It's a good movie that I eventually liked, but I think it really only works 'cause Douglas and Fincher sell it so well. And mostly because of Douglas.

HH

Comment

Plot holes galore. The one that cannot be explained at all, not even by the 14 hours of psychometric testing he did at the centre, is the exploding champagne bottle.

Sean Penn didn't know if he would fire, where he would fire or, most of all, when he would fire. Assuming Penn pressed a self destruct button there would still be a sizeable time lapse between Douglas shooting and Penn reacting. and this is one of the smaller plot holes.
                            Last edited by 1mper1um; 06-15-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X