Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
landercello
Regular

Default Query Production Companies - Good or Bad

So I was reading a email newsletter that says querying production companies on your own can hurt your script more than help. And that basically you should only have your representation do it. I don't know if that's true. Any thoughts?
landercello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
RGF

Location: Kicking around on a piece of ground in my home town.
Default Re: Query Production Companies - Good or Bad

Search for a thread called 'Producers or Managers?' in the Business Questions threads. That says it all. I'd paste the link if I knew how to do that. Damn technology.
RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Madbandit

I would ask the prodcos if they accept queries first, before sending them a pitch. Particularly if you're not repped. I've done it, and got banned, but at least I didn't send them one of my ideas.

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Last edited by Madbandit : 04-07-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Robot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by landercello View Post
So I was reading a email newsletter that says querying production companies on your own can hurt your script more than help. And that basically you should only have your representation do it. I don't know if that's true. Any thoughts?
Have your rep do it.

If you don't have a rep, either get one or you do it.

If you do have a rep and want to do it, coordinate with your rep and see what he/she thinks. I know plenty of repped people who also query and use their rep as a cover for submissions.

How else are you going to get read? Studios will rarely look at anything over the transom. If you don't get read you won't sell anything. That's a fact. What else can you do?

Bot
Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Robot17

Yep. Boski added if you get a request have your rep submit it and he's right.

And also: Sh!tcan the newsletter if they didn't point that out. They don't know what they're talking about.

Bot

(Boski beat me to that one lol)
Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
zenplato

Quote:
So I was reading a email newsletter that says querying production companies on your own can hurt your script more than help.
Landercello,

The only reason I would consider it bad is because your rep wants to control who has seen your script. No one wants to go out with a script that all the studios have passed on, or seen. That's why they ask you who has read it when they court you.

So, from that perspective it can be detrimental; however, you do what you have to do to sell your story.

If you plan on getting repped, then I would only query managers/agents, not prodco's initially. If that doesn't work, mix it up, but never give up.

Of course, I know repped people who query without their reps, so to each their own.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
landercello
Regular

Thanks for the insight. You guys rock as always.
landercello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Rantanplan

I've gotten a few reads off prod-cos so I don't think it hurts --at least industry people are reading your work in that case. A couple have sent the usual blahblahblah legal form letter saying no unsollicited and that the query was tossed into the incinerator without being read.

The ones that don't respond probably just delete the query (hopefully) and forget about it, so it's not the same as having your script read and rejected all over town... if you land a rep and he/she then submits it to same companies, no biggie. But obviously the rep wouldn't want to submit it to companies that have actually read the script and passed. I think we have to just be as pro-active as we possibly can, even if it means taking risks in one form or another.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
umo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantanplan View Post
I've gotten a few reads off prod-cos so I don't think it hurts --at least industry people are reading your work in that case. A couple have sent the usual blahblahblah legal form letter saying no unsollicited and that the query was tossed into the incinerator without being read.

The ones that don't respond probably just delete the query (hopefully) and forget about it, so it's not the same as having your script read and rejected all over town... if you land a rep and he/she then submits it to same companies, no biggie. But obviously the rep wouldn't want to submit it to companies that have actually read the script and passed. I think we have to just be as pro-active as we possibly can, even if it means taking risks in one form or another.
I agree. You'll only burn a limited number of leads.

umo

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
umo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
zenplato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantanplan View Post
it's not the same as having your script read and rejected all over town...
Oh ladies,

That's exactly what they are trying to avoid and thus the reason for not sending stuff out. Your rep should be your script's gatekeeper.

Where's Farnsworth?

Well, that's their logic, not mine.

Again, you are in control and should do what's best for your career; however, if you have an amazing concept and the script is almost there, don't blow it by sending it out willy nilly. Refine it with your rep and let them do their job.

Again, this is just one aspect of it. There should be no absolutes.