Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
catcon

Default Re: When a Producer says "YES", what's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
...Real entertainment lawyers charge 5% of whatever you make on the deal they're involved in. They do NOT charge a 'submission fee.'...
From my own analysis, yes, this would apply to a lawyer who already represents you as a writer; ie. no submission fee. But some lawyers are recognizing that there's an opportunity for new business as a result of the very common requirement by studios/prodcos to "only take submissions from agents or lawyers". Of the two lawyers I spoke about, one was very definitely a well-known name, the other less so. They're both "real" lawyers, but I wasn't one of their existing clients, so to get my foot in the door you have to come up with some creative initiatives sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
"Glad to hear you'd like to see the script. I'm between agents at the moment. I'm happy to submit with a release form...
I use the "submit a release form" too. It's professional and suggests you know what's going on in the world. However, "I'm between agents" may simply not suffice for this company. These people have their lawyers too and have been directed to satisfy minimum legal requirements.

I'd try the email as suggested, but you should have a back-up plan ready just in case. You're probably going to need an attorney some day anyway.

Main thing is, you don't want to lose this great opportunity!

Last edited by catcon : 05-26-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: oops, I missed the "may" in "may simply not..."
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
jcgary

Catcon, those lawyers who want some 'creative initiative' out of you (i.e. your money) are taking advantage of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
However, "I'm between agents" simply not suffice for this company. These people have their lawyers too and have been directed to satisfy minimum legal requirements.
The aforementioned release form satisfies those minimum legal requirements. If a production company won't accept the release form, then they probably aren't that interested in your idea.

jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
trabaris
User

Not to go OT but this happened to me, too. I responded that I am a lawyer and I'm sending it on my own behalf. Always ready to find that loophole...

I never heard back from them.
trabaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
dirtbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac H. View Post
1 - "I know a good attorney Elsa Ramo (you can check her out on IMDB) who will submit for you for a pretty reasonable fee (I think it's like $250 maybe?)"

2 - "I'm saying her fee is less than the 5% commission"

Given that the ratio of scripts bought .v. scripts read is very low - the most likely result is that there won't be a sale. (Even if they love the work and ask to see something else)

So how on earth is $250 *LESS* than 0% of $0 ???

Elsa Ramo might be fine - but in almost all cases her fee will be MORE than a 5% commission rather than LESS.

Mac

She's an attorney. That's her hourly rate. But defers it until after a sale which is LESS than 5%.
dirtbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
Hello fellow writers

I'm hoping to get a bit of advice if anyone has been through this. I queried a very well known production company for my latest script. On their website they said those all too familar words "no unsolicited submissions/materials". But I did it anyway and sent through a pitch email to the CEO and had a response back within twenty minutes.

He said my logline and query letter intrigued him and he wanted to see my script as soon as possible. But he also said "please submit via your agent or lawyer".

Problem is, I never hear back from agents and I've heard entertainment lawyers are expensive. Without using names of this company, if I was to mention to agents/managers that the CEO of this company wants to read it, does this help or possibly increase your chances of scoring representation via an agent/manager? Or should I just open my wallet and go through a lawyer? I have to be honest in saying this but producers seem to be much more easy to approach and deal with rather than agents/managers.

Any advice would be great, I could have a great opportunity here and I need to make the most of it.

Cheers
You must know a lawyer. They don't need to be entertainment lawyers. Call a lawyer friend and tell them you need to write a letter on their letterhead and just submit it that way.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
Mac H.

"That's her hourly rate. But defers it until after a sale which is LESS than 5%"

OK - So the deal is that she'll submit it for free. The only cost is if you make a sale - then the cost is $250 + Her hour hourly rate to review contracts, etc?

(I hope you appreciate that she isn't going to spend one hour on copying a form letter !)

That does seems better - but remember the reason lawyers do this is because the person to contact for the next step is her. Therefore everytime they communicate between themselves, your bill will increase. (You've already agreed that $250 per communication is a fair amount - so if there are any questions you are basically agreeing to pay that per letter !)

It is much better, though.

Mac
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote