Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Anointed
Regular

Default Can you just pitch a guy?

In this stupid ass job, I do tech support. I got a call two months ago from this guy needing help. I pull up the account, saw who he was and kinda said "Hmmm" to myself. Very iconic guy and company on one of the major lots. I didn't think too much of it because in my mind I'm going to resolve this guy's issue and be done.

Well 2 months later, I still help him with tech support when he needs it (he calls me directly). We have each other's numbers and emails and in between that time, we've shared personal stuff/insecurities and he's even read one of my pilot specs.

He had a colleague read my script and they both said the same thing. I'm funny but they thought the script was weak RE: story. I was a little puzzled seeing as its a stylized pilot, but I accepted it.

He told me its harder to be funny than it is to write story. He said story can be learned/developed but funny cannot.

He has created several iconic characters. Right now he has a couple of big budget ($100M) pics on IMDB in various stages (mostly pre-pro) with his characters.

There's this one character for which I'm interesting in writing a spec. (screenplay) around. There was a network series with this character so the public is familiar with the character. The approach of the series was kinda serious. I just watched a YouTube clip of the show and I'm wondering who would take this character serious?

I have an idea I'd like to pitch him.

Let me write a comedic script on spec with this character.

Could he lose anything by allowing this? The best outcome would be its great, he can get it set up at a major studio tomorrow.

The worst that could happen is he hates it and maybe (a big maybe) I can use it (including on the title page "based on a character createde by") to get a rep.

Typically studios don't hire women to write these kinds of scripts, but I don't want that to stop him from even giving me a shot.

Can he just give me the okay? Is there more to it than that?

Last edited by Anointed : 07-15-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Anointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Knaight

Default Re: Can you just pitch a guy?

Based on the information you gave, I'd absolutely go ahead and pitch your idea to him directly. Tell him you appreciate his professionalism and the advice you've given him, and you're going to write the idea on spec. You'd like to give him first look when it's done. That way you're not really being presumptuous, but you are pitching him the script.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Hilario113
Regular

I think you don't have a lot to lose pitching it.

On a side note, I am supremely intrigued as to who this guy is, as the clues you've left are extremely specific but yet I can't put my figure on who it is.
Hilario113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Anointed
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
Based on the information you gave, I'd absolutely go ahead and pitch your idea to him directly. Tell him you appreciate his professionalism and the advice you've given him, and you're going to write the idea on spec. You'd like to give him first look when it's done. That way you're not really being presumptuous, but you are pitching him the script.
I'm assuming I need permission to even write the spec...? I would hate to spend weeks doing a first draft, approaching him with "lookie what I did" and him responding with WTF?? I'm from the TV world, so I'm a little wobbly on the film legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilario113 View Post
I think you don't have a lot to lose pitching it.

On a side note, I am supremely intrigued as to who this guy is, as the clues you've left are extremely specific but yet I can't put my figure on who it is.
I guess the worse he can say is no. I removed a little of those specifics, lol.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
cuppajoe
User

Quote:
He has created several iconic characters. Right now he has a couple of big budget ($100M) pics on IMDB in various stages (mostly pre-pro) with his characters. ...I just watched a YouTube clip of the show and I'm wondering who would take this character serious?

I would definitely sound him out first. If he created the character and is in some stage of production based on the property, he may or may not take kindly to your idea! He might even get offended (though the info here is too enigmatic to guess by).

Maybe you should start by asking how the project's progressing, then (if not so well), mention you had a funny idea, etc., etc... and would he allow you to give it a shot.
cuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
NikeeGoddess
User

try this approach:

do it but be sly about it. tell him you saw this great movie the other day and... your pitch
if he asks if it's in the theaters or if he can rent it or whatever then you know he thought it was good. this is when you tell him it's not out yet b/c you haven't made it yet... and go with the flow from there.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Anointed
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppajoe View Post
I would definitely sound him out first. If he created the character and is in some stage of production based on the property, he may or may not take kindly to your idea! He might even get offended (though the info here is too enigmatic to guess by).

Maybe you should start by asking how the project's progressing, then (if not so well), mention you had a funny idea, etc., etc... and would he allow you to give it a shot.
None of his current projects are based on this character, so its just sitting there I think, waiting to be rediscovered/reworked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
try this approach:

do it but be sly about it. tell him you saw this great movie the other day and... your pitch
if he asks if it's in the theaters or if he can rent it or whatever then you know he thought it was good. this is when you tell him it's not out yet b/c you haven't made it yet... and go with the flow from there.
Sly...I like it.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

If you have a decent relationship with the guy and he has already looked at some material of yours, then try this... Tell him you have an idea for a project and ask if he wouldn't mind giving you a little expert advice & guidance on how to best approach doing it. This takes the pressure off him. All he has to do is give you some feedback so you can go on your merry way.

Why this can work well, besides not putting him on the spot, is that IF he likes the idea and takes to it, then he can say to you, "I like that idea. That's pretty good. How are far along are you? What are you thinking the story would be exactly? I'd like to discuss more..." etc. Make it a soft sell, so to speak. Let him come to you if he likes the idea.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Anointed
Regular

So Will you're thinking remove the pressure, approach him for advice instead of permission.

If I pitched a character/story like his character, the kind of guy he is, he would say, "You know I did a character like that ..."

That may be a way to segue into a conversation about using his character instead. I would hope he'd suggest it in a best case scenario.

Hell, I'm excited. I'm already picturing various scenes. I love the route of a prequel showing how the character came to be. Damnit, I hate when a project captures me before I've captured it.