Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Kmark100
User

Default Re: Eclectic Pictures

Bump

Does anyone have any updated info on them? They requested a read and I was wondering if anyone had gotten further than just that stage. It looks like the person who requested the read (though through there assistant) has a producer credit on Olympus Has Fallen.

Thank you in advance,
KAM
Kmark100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
Bruce Rose
User

I had a screenplay that was selected as one of the winners of a competition this spring and Eclectic contacted me as a result. I was asked, "What is your favorite scene?" That was a new one, and I wasn't sure how to answer. I ended up picking out a 4-5 page sequence from the middle of the script and sent that over. The problem with that is the scene probably doesn't work so well without knowing the set-ups and character relationships. 2 days later they passed. I don't know how I would answer if I were asked that question again.
Bruce Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Smoke
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rose View Post
Eclectic contacted me as a result. I was asked, "What is your favorite scene?" That was a new one, and I wasn't sure how to answer. I ended up picking out a 4-5 page sequence from the middle of the script and sent that over. The problem with that is the scene probably doesn't work so well without knowing the set-ups and character relationships.
What a strange request. Do you think you could have thrown them your first five pages (regardless of the number of scenes they make) instead?
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rose View Post
I had a screenplay that was selected as one of the winners of a competition this spring and Eclectic contacted me as a result. I was asked, "What is your favorite scene?" That was a new one, and I wasn't sure how to answer. I ended up picking out a 4-5 page sequence from the middle of the script and sent that over. The problem with that is the scene probably doesn't work so well without knowing the set-ups and character relationships. 2 days later they passed. I don't know how I would answer if I were asked that question again.
Maybe it's me, but that question sounds amateurish.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Richmond Weems

Eclectic: What is your favorite scene [in your script]?

Rich: My favorite scene? I don't...I don't understand the question.

E: Your favorite scene. Give us your favorite scene, the one you're most proud of/think is the best, and we'll get back to you.

R: Oh, my favorite scene! The scene that holds the whole script together, the scene that doesn't work without the one that came before it and the one that comes after it...

E: We just--

R: An out of context scene that won't make any sense, it may as well be a poem, a snippet of conversation, an apt description that tells you nothing about my ability to tell a story...

E: Look, if you don't--

R: Why don't you just ask me for the fvcking ending? Or be a goddamn professional and ask me for the first ten fvcking pages to see if I can create suspense, drama, comedy, or anything else that would give you some indication of my ability to keep a moviegoer interested in the fvcking movie and not a one-act mono--Hello? Hello?? Wait! I'll send it to you Christ, what the fvck did I do with their goddamn email address??
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #16
LateNightWriter

Thanks, Richard Weems! Once again you made me laugh so hard I snorted coffee through my nose.

Late Night Writer
LateNightWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #17
Bruce Rose
User

Ha-ha, that's great! The script is a family comedy and there is a joke in the 2nd act that nearly everyone seems to like. I thought I better send the scene with the popular joke, but I agree that's not the right answer. The joke will suffer from lack of set-up anyway. If I'm ever asked that again, I will send the first few pages. It's better to demonstrate an ability to build story and character.

... And it was a stupid question!

Thanks!
Bruce Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #18
mrdennissir
New User

I had some experience with them a while back. They had an inktip request that I answered with queries for two scripts and they asked for one of them. I sent it and they did not respond after the standard 45 days, so after 90 days I asked and they sent me the coverage. It seemed cogent and professional but was extremely negative. I didn't have a problem per se but I didn't think professional coverage would be like that. I didn't know what I was doing at the time, the script was actually bad, so it's not like I am saying OMG this guy is terrible awful or whatever.

At the same time they were getting negative press about their major film that was coming out, one of the two Linda Lovelace movies that were at the same time. The person who asked for my script no longer works there and has started his own company. My coverage guy was named John Y or something I think.

On Talentville someone who is a graphic designer now and was once a reader there said he would review my same script I had sent long before, although he didn't end up doing it. He reviewed a different script of mine and that review was negative. Not the same guy. I guess he was just curious. I have gotten all negative reviews for that other script so it's not anything unusual either.

I guess my conclusion would be that the company is legit but seems like it is undergoing some sort of hardship. They seem to be having a lot of turnover. Maybe at the time of my submit they were trying to make a move and become more prominent, but their projects failed. I don't know.

Last edited by mrdennissir : 08-21-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: grammar errors
mrdennissir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
Lewstory1
User

I sent out a dozen or so queries in early July using names I found on IMDBPro. I got one response, a pleasant one from a Kyle Cooper at Eclectic--and I sent off my script. Haven't heard back in six weeks, so I'm guessing I have three chances: slim, fat, and none.
Lewstory1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #20
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
I never got a response from them. Surely the only reason they passed on my incredibly brilliant masterpiece was because I addressed them as
"Electic Pictures", by mistake... Damn Typo
"Electric Pictures" would have shocked them, though.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote