Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software suggestions

So I got feedback from the BL reader, and the main problem was my formatting.
    I got good analysis for the script overall. I agree with the reader, I essentially didn't format it, this was my first script and I used CELTX

Can you guys suggest a better software which is free? Now that my feedback has been positive, I'd like to put it in INDUSTRY FORMAT, as the reader said. Thanks.

Re: Software suggestions

This is November the first, not April.

Comment

I asked about software not what you thought the time of year was.

Comment

Originally posted by Staircaseghost View Post
        This is November the first, not April.

Originally posted by ManbunShiva View Post
        So I got feedback from the BL reader, and the main problem was my formatting.
        I got good analysis for the script overall. I agree with the reader, I essentially didn't format it, this was my first script and I used CELTX

Can you guys suggest a better software which is free? Now that my feedback has been positive, I'd like to put it in INDUSTRY FORMAT, as the reader said. Thanks.
        If you ARE serious about your question, then CELTX should work fine... Did you choose "script/screenplay" when you started writing your story? It lets you format it correctly there. Just hit the "TAB" button or use the left hand side guide.

Have you read any screenplays? I mean start there, if you don't even know what the format looks like no program is going to help you. CELTX works fine for industry format.
        "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
        SUBTITLED
        Episode 1 (Beef pills)
        Episode 2 (African commercial)
        Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Let me clarify. I had the FREE version of CELTX, which was rather limited in it's offerings and was only available free as a trial version. My trial has expired. You mean to say there's no software that's free out there that's good besides CELTX?

Comment

Let me clarify. I had the FREE version of CELTX, which was rather limited in it's offerings and was only available free as a trial version. My trial has expired. You mean to say there's no software that's free out there that's good besides CELTX?
            you can use the full version of celtx FREE online http://celtx.com. Now this is not convenient if you often write in a remote non wi-fi place, but has its perks when you can work on the story from different connected computers, and different writers can all work together from home.

I imagine there are other free, software, but I've only used celtx in the free category and simply stating that using CELTX you CAN format it properly start to finish.

Outside of that, why would you pay 100 bucks or whatever BlkLst charges but not invest 25 bucks on writing software if this is something you want to take seriously?

I see where the April comment came in lol.

Best of luck man!
            Last edited by Mpimentel; 11-02-2015, 12:29 AM.
            "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
            SUBTITLED
            Episode 1 (Beef pills)
            Episode 2 (African commercial)
            Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Mpmintel, thanks again. I didn't see the part where you can use the basic version for free. Owe you man. lol. Good to know people are using CELTX.
              Well, I spent $75 on the BL and I feel the notes I got were really useful. I'm not going to continue using the BL to host my script, but it had it's use.
              Good luck to you too man!

Comment

Highland is $30.
                http://quoteunquoteapps.com/highland/

Comment

Also, Page 2 Stage, haven't used it or even checked it for accuracy but it's out there. Also there are some MS Word templates if you don't mind hitting the tab key a lot. I've heard there's a google docs template in the same vein but I've never seen it. Might be dead, might be they're playing close to the vest.

For what it's worth, I have seen $50 older versions of Final Draft on e-bay. Worth a look. If I remember right, version 7 rocked, 8 did not. I'm just assuming you could find Fade In or Movie Magic Screenwriter older versions for sale as well. Just a thought.

Comment

Fade In is $49.95. WriterDuet also has a free version and comes with pretty cheap monthly versions if you want to upgrade but you don't want to commit.

Comment

I have used all the major programs for Windows.

My honest opinion: Spend the $50 for Fade In. It is extremely versatile, and the programmer actually keeps it up to date and will respond when you discover a problem (yes, that actually happens, with all software).

With Fade In:
                      • It has all the usual features that you would expect, and they are many.
                      • Easy and accurate import/export of Final Draft .fdx files.
                      • Easy and accurate import/export of Fountain files and other text files.
                      • Accurate (though not always perfect) conversion of PDF files to Fade In format. It achieves near perfection with PDF files that Final Draft or Screenwriter has produced. PDF is an inconsistent format, apparently, but Fade In does very well with Final Draft and Screenwriter and with some of the other PDF producers.
                      • You get free updates and upgrades.
                      • It follows the philosophy of «one user on multiple computers». I paid for one license, but I have Fade In on all my computers (and I am the only one who uses the program).
                      I think that what some of the other people meant, in their comments, was that a software program does not solve all your problems. You still have to possess an understanding of what a scene is and how to present dialogue through Character cues and dialogue paragraphs. I have seen people write something that was a hodgepodge of dialogue and action, all in some kind of narrative action format, and call it a screenplay.

Best of luck ...

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Deac, clint, omds and comic....Very good alternatives.
                        Much obliged, gents!

Comment

Even the free BASIC (limited version) of Celtx should work well for formatting. It's been a while since I used Celtx, so I don't know what their basic scheme is anymore.

Page2Stage is free. Be aware it's "long in the tooth" and I don't know how well it works with modern versions of Windows (I use Linux). Anyhow, you can download it here ...
                          http://www.page2stage.com/

Trelby is free. This is what I use in Linux. It appears to be a moribund project now -- nothing done with it for a couple years -- but it's a good basic screenplay formatter -- again, don't know how it works with Windows 8.x or 10 (I have used it on my wife's Windows 7 computer and it works fine there). Much better than using a Word Template, in my opinion. Available here ...
                          http://www.trelby.org/

Fade In Pro has a free trial version. I don't know what the limitations are with this version. Cost for the full program is $50. Available for Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10), OS X (10.6.8 or later) and for Linux (also available for Android and iPhone/iPad). Download here ...
                          http://www.fadeinpro.com/page.pl?content=download

Movie Magic Screenwriter and Final Draft are also still available, but neither are free.

There's another forum on DoneDeals -- which is mostly dedicated to Black List now, but used to have to have information about screenwriting software ... here ...
                          http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...splay.php?f=21

Good luck.
                          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by DeaconBlu View Post
                            Also, Page 2 Stage, haven't used it or even checked it for accuracy but it's out there. Also there are some MS Word templates if you don't mind hitting the tab key a lot. I've heard there's a google docs template in the same vein but I've never seen it. Might be dead, might be they're playing close to the vest.

For what it's worth, I have seen $50 older versions of Final Draft on e-bay. Worth a look. If I remember right, version 7 rocked, 8 did not. I'm just assuming you could find Fade In or Movie Magic Screenwriter older versions for sale as well. Just a thought.
                            I still use version 7 of Final Draft and it's really great. If you can find it online somewhere, I recommend buying it.

Comment

The free version of Fade In is perfectly usable, it just has a nag screen popping up now and then.

Comment

Working...
                              X