Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Harper
User

Default UCLA Thesis

Did any one else just get this email?
Any experiences, ideas?
Quote:
"Hello!

I am an MFA candidate in UCLA's Graduate Producers Program. I am looking for completed feature-length screenplays or television pilot scripts to develop as a thesis.

Producerís Program students are selected to pitch their final thesis projects to a marketplace panel of top-tier industry professionals. Your screenplay could be one of those projects!

The objective of the thesis is to option and develop a script with a writer over the course of a 12 to 18 month option period, and then pitch the project to studios and financiers to fund production and secure distribution. These are projects are designed to be produced after graduation, not student films.
If you are interested in submitting a script please send a PDF of the script along with a logline and short synopsis to ucla.producers.thesis@gmail.com

SUBMISSION FORMAT
We will accept both WGA and non-WGA writers.All genres are accepted.
Submissions from all countries are eligible.
Screenplays must be submitted in English.
Screenplay length: Feature-length screenplays or TV Pilot Script
TV Pilots can be submitted with additional documents such as character outlines or series bible, if available.
Digital submissions in PDF format only.
RESTRICTIONS
All submitted material must be your own, original work and you must own full copyright. You agree that any submission you make will not infringe the copyright or any other rights of any third party.
No submitted material must be the subject of any existing or potential option agreement or any other legally or morally binding agreements or discussions. All submitted material must therefore be unencumbered from any actual or potential third party rights.

Terms and Conditions

CONTACT
If you have any inquiries about submitting a script which isnít covered by the above, please feel free to contact me at runt@ucla.edu

Best,
Brian Patrick RuntGraduate Student, Producers Program
UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media"
Cheers,
Harper
Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
celticbeauty
User

Default Re: UCLA Thesis

As a former UCLA MFA, I can tell you that's a legit thing. Those are the aspiring UCLA MFA producers. They spend a year putting together a production binder on your script, and they enter a pitch competition at the end of the year. If their pitch of your script lands in the top three, they pitch at their showcase event in June--in front of some pretty big name producers.

THE GOOD
The nice part is, you get a year of development notes and suggestions from the producing student, their classmates, and their instructors (who are Hollywood producers)--and you also get professional coverage on your final draft, which lets you know how ready your project is (or isn't) for the industry.

THE NOT-SO GOOD
As a writer, I'm not sure it'll help you all that much. Few (if any) of these thesis scripts have gotten enough buzz from this to actually make anything happen with them.

However, you can form a relationship with a future producer, and you'll have someone championing your script. That's worth it if you're just starting out.

That said, if you participate, make them agree to a shopper's agreement and not a full option. Retain the rights to your work.
celticbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Harper
User

Default Re: UCLA Thesis

Hi celticbeauty,

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
Cheers,
Harper