Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Script Deals Ever

Hey, guys. Like the title says, I was wondering what the current list of biggest screenwriter fees of all time are (spec or non-spec).

From an old thread (link here), I found some high-cost spec sales, but I was wondering if the list was complete and up-to-date:

$5.75 million:
    1. Steinbeck's Point of View by Brandon Camp & Mike Thompson (deal included: $750,000 up front, plus $2 million after A-list stars became interested, and a $3 million production bonus.)
    $5 million:
    1. Deja Vu by Terry Rossio & Bill Marsilii
    2. Unbreakable by M. Night Shyamalan
    3. Foreplay by Joe Eszterhas (deal included: $1 million up front, $4 million production bonus, 2.5% of box office sales and 1% of soundtrack sales) (biggest overall deal in Hollywood history)
    4. Trapped by Joe Eszterhas (potential deal)
    5. The Unbound Captives by O.C. Humphrey (aka Madeline Stowe & Brian Benben)
    6. Signs by M. Night Shyamalan
    Is this the most up-to-date list of the biggest deals of all time, or are there others?

All thoughts and responses are welcome.

Thanks.

Re: Biggest Script Deals Ever

Big N' stuff.

I likes me summa that

Pretty sure Rossio and Marsilii still hold the record for biggest pitch sale: 3.somethin'

Comment

Shane Black The Long Kiss Goodnight 4 million dollars.

Comment

Yeah, after looking around, I haven't really seen any scripts that have sold for more than those 5mill scripts.

Although, of course, there a more than a few that have sold in that 2mill to 4mill range.

Comment

I assume those Shyamalan numbers, if accurate, are for writing and directing, right?

I had never even heard of "Unbound Captives" before. Does anyone know if that's technically still in production, or is it completely dead in the water? Anyone who read it think it was worth $5 mill?

Comment

Originally posted by OtisLovesUs View Post
            I assume those Shyamalan numbers, if accurate, are for writing and directing, right?
            According to info on wikipedia, for the movies Signs and Unbreakable, M Night was paid 5 mill per spec script. And then he was paid additional money for his other contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by bill the scholar View Post
              According to info on wikipedia, for the movies Signs and Unbreakable, M Night was paid 5 mill per spec script. And then he was paid additional money for his other contributions.
              Holy Hollywood.

So basically, after "The Sixth Sense," M. Night said, "I see dead presidents."

Comment

Originally posted by OtisLovesUs View Post
                Holy Hollywood.

So basically, after "The Sixth Sense," M. Night said, "I see dead presidents."
                Pretty much, yeah

Comment

Wow, those sales are awesome.

Those writers must have had great managers to get deals like that seeing as how managers are 'necessary' for screenwriting success.

Wonder if they had any managers-attached-as-producer working both sides of the table on those deals to keep writer's salaries down at 'reasonable' levels?

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                    Wow, those sales are awesome.

Those writers must have had great managers to get deals like that seeing as how managers are 'necessary' for screenwriting success.

Wonder if they had any managers-attached-as-producer working both sides of the table on those deals to keep writer's salaries down at 'reasonable' levels?
                    Last edited by Geoff Alexander; 06-26-2015, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I remember how disappointed Terry was after Déjà Vu came out. It was as if he didn't get paid anything at all. He was truly bummed out over the choices the producers and director made during production. Money ain't everything.
                      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Wasn't Snow white and the huntsman a huge spec script too?
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                          Wasn't Snow white and the huntsman a huge spec script too?
                          1.5 against 3.25, according to Go Into Story

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
                            I remember how disappointed Terry was after Déjà Vu came out. It was as if he didn't get paid anything at all. He was truly bummed out over the choices the producers and director made during production. Money ain't everything.
                            We watched Deja Vu (Look at you, Roscoe, with the fancy French accents!) for the first time a few months ago and we were surprised we'd missed it. For what it's worth, we really liked it. My son was in the mood to see a movie like Source Code so we did a Google search and were geeked to see a Terry Rossio movie we hadn't seen before on the list. Bummer Terry didn't like it. He should probably direct.
                            Last edited by cvolante; 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM. Reason: I didn't put the quote in...

Comment

Not as big as the others, but Sony paid $3 million for White House Down.

Comment

Working...
                              X