Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Imagine-Impact boot camp

Last edited by boobtubenewb; 10-08-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boobtubenewb View Post
      Somewhat related: if you haven't taken Ron Howard's Directing Masterclass I've found it extremely interesting as a writer. The first six or so videos cover how and why he picks scripts, the development process, and collaborating with the writer and other creatives as they become involved.

Now I wouldn't say it will give you any sort edge for your application for this opp, but it's a good general overview of his thoughts on the subject, along with some great anecdotes about his past films. Masterclass.com offer a one week free trial for new customers.

It's worth checking out. Thanks. At this point, no one knows what's expected in the process other than those working inside his company. But, these guys are used to working with the A list of A list writers, so I imagine they still are used to see quality.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
        Quoting Ron Howard tweet:
        "So exciting to see applications pouring in for @impactimagine! I encourage writers and creators of all experience levels to apply and have a chance to be a part of this innovative content creation program. https://www.imagine-impact.com/ "

https://twitter.com/ImpactImagine

So, to me, when the founder of the program says they want ALL experience levels to apply, it sounds as if they WANT a mix of more experienced people and less experienced people.

Having said this, I am struggling to come up with even an idea to send them at all -- Imagine has read four of my spec scripts over the last few years (by me cold querying them/I don't have reps). Including one earlier this year that I have yet to hear back on. I now have NO scripts to send them, because they've already rejected the ones I thought a good fit.

My writing notebooks look like a madman has entered my head and taken over, as I am frantically trying to find SOME DAMN IDEA that I can enter with before the deadline. You know, so that this time I can be PAID for them to reject me!

Regardless, they just seem like lovely people. And because they're providing mentors to help you sort things out, it seems as if it will be a nurturing, rather than stress-filled environment. If you've ever read articles about Howard, he appears to be an optimistic person that is forward-thinking. I'm sure that will trickle down into the program.

I think as writers, we're so used to rejection that we don't fear it anymore. It's when someone presents a pathway to succeed that we are suddenly seized by anxiety -- like, wait, what? You're going to pay me to write, and pitch you, and give me a mentor too? Ack!!

I hear ya. This one sounds like it's the best opportunity out of all of them out there...so the natural instinct is to want to be as prepared as possible. The dilemma is whether to submit one that's been previously vetted that has done really well in major contests or to submit the cooler sounding idea but you haven't tested it out yet. My guess is that a significant percentage submitting willl have done really well in the major contests and are just dusting off what they have already. I don't think writers lose the fear of rejection. I've sat in and listened to the top screenwriters detail the panic they feel to live up to their billing and the time pressure of the assignment like "Oh no...I was supposed to deliver this at an x amount of time and there's a only a few weeks left." I actually have felt increased pressure as to not have my followup project do as well as the past one. Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's team are used to seeing the very best so I am sure there's still that feeling that one doesn't want to embarrass themselves with showing them a draft that's rank amateur. You're right, though, Ron Howard sounds like a very cool and optimistic person to work for. He has a sterling reputation. I guess that's part of the thrill of it all--to come up with something before the deadline, which is only days away. If you're at least getting read off queries from them, then maybe it at least signals you're on the right track in terms of what would interest them. I'll cross my fingers for you. Good luck.

Comment

Did no one notice the onerous clause in the terms if you are accepted into the program?

If you make it in and Imagine passes on your project at the end of the two month program, Imagine retains 15% passive participation forever. That is almost certainly more participation than on a project they are actually producing, so the net effect of this clause is that even if they pass on a project, they aren't really passing. They can just sit back and collect a hefty share of the profit if it ever sells to anyone else. With that sort of passive element attached, safe to say the chances of your project finding a home elsewhere are slim to none.

Maybe I read the terms wrong, but I know others who came to the same conclusion, and for this reason passed on applying.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
            Imagine retains 15% passive participation forever.
            Where did you read this 15% forever term? Is there a side agreement that they haven't mentioned on their web site that has this term?

I’ve read their submission release agreement and it’s not in any one of its 10 paragraphs. I’ve read their FAQ and what they’ve said about ownership is the following:

“If I get accepted into the program, who owns my project?

At the end of Impact, Imagine Entertainment will be attached to your project for 6-months, during which time Imagine will have the option to acquire your project at a fair-market rate, set-up your project with a buyer, or part-ways. Should Imagine choose not to move further with the project, the Creator retains all rights to the project.”

“attached for 6 months” doesn’t sound like forever to me. If they set-up the project with another company, there may be a producer’s fee for Imagine Entertainment, but that would come out of the company’s pocket and not the writer’s.

Yes, a producer’s fee might hinder a sale to another company, but if someone is dropping a winner in your lap, a reasonable producer’s fee (unless you're saying the producer's fee would be 15% of the film's profits) shouldn’t be a roadblock to another company. There are management companies that take a producer’s fee instead of their commission from the writer.

Even if there were a 15% forever term, it’s still a good opportunity for a new writer. It may not be right for a professional writer with an agent and manager, but for a new writer Imagine Entertainment is offering to do what a manager does, working with the writer to have a strong, marketable screenplay, and also to do what an agent does, find a buyer.

And keep in mind, Imagine Entertainment isn't just any production company. They are a highly respected and reputable production company. Not too shabby for your screenplay to be tied to forever for 15%, if true.
            Last edited by JoeNYC; 07-20-2018, 04:25 AM.

Comment

I have no wherewithal to partake of this thing (moving costs, etc.), but as to this 15% clause, which wouldn't surprise me, I'd like to see a dollar-for-dollar buyout option for the writer to get free of it.

Or, if that's more than the original two-month cash value, be able to return that (when you're in the pink and making lots of dough) to be free of the "forever" clause hanging over the project.

Whatever. As I read this thread, I couldn't help but thinking, if it sounds too good to be true...

Comment

Should the use of the word 'identical' in their release clause be a cause for concern? Especially if you're pitching something pretty unique and high concept?

Also, what if your best writing sample happens to be a stage play written in Victorian English? Would you still submit that or go with a more functional tv pilot instead?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                  Where did you read this 15% forever term? Is there a side agreement that they haven't mentioned on their web site that has this term?

I just went back and checked, and it looks like they revised the terms and removed that onerous clause. It wasn't even me who first spotted that 15% clause - it was another writer I know who went over the terms and then I saw it for myself.

Thanks for taking another look, JoeNYC. I think I will apply after all.

Comment

Applications for Impact 1 has been closed. They've scheduled Impact 2 for March 2019.

A tip for those applying for Impact 2: I thought they were just looking for commercial material that was a "practically good fit- for their production company as they had said in their startup, but later, Imagine Impact clarified further with:

"Our program is named Impact because we aim to promote stories whose individual emotional impact can spark a wide cultural impact, as well.-

"individual emotional impact can spark a wide cultural impact-

What this means is that they're looking for art that will have a positive, emotional impact that will resonate on communities worldwide, which has the potential to spark a cultural impact.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary: Culture - the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, social class, etc.

Culture is a way of living, thinking and behaving. Cultures are race, ethnicity, gender, religion, geographic location, sexual orientation, social class, etc.

For an example, let's look at a geographic location, such as, Southern United States during the slavery years. Art had a huge impact on the culture in the South with paintings and sketches of black slaves being bonded, branded, whipped and auctioned.

The most influential art of all that made a huge emotional impact around the world was Harriet Beech Stowe's novel UNCLE TOM'S CABIN.- When Abraham Lincoln met Harriet Beecher Stow, he said, "Is this the little woman who made this great war?-

Art depicted the emotional side of slavery that had such an impact on people worldwide that it compelled them to act, which impacted the culture of the South.

If your art could emotionally impact a culture in some way, then you could have an edge in succeeding in Imagine Impact.

Comment

They're supposed to email finalists on a rolling basis starting today. Good luck to everyone that applied.

Comment

On Friday, 8/17/2018, Imagine Impact sent out the pass emails. I know this because I was one of them. To soften the blow, Grazer included a video message about how the Industry kept rejected his "Splash" script, but he believed he had something special, so he didn't give up on it.

I thought his personal message was a classy thing to do -- BUT I'M STILL PISSED AT HIM!

Just kidding, Grazer.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                          On Friday, 8/17/2018, Imagine Impact sent out the pass emails. I know this because I was one of them. To soften the blow, Grazer included a video message about how the Industry kept rejected his "Splash" script, but he believed he had something special, so he didn't give up on it.

I thought his personal message was a classy thing to do -- BUT I'M STILL PISSED AT HIM!

Just kidding, Grazer.
                          When I heard there were 4,000 applicants in that 9 day window (with 2,000 of those coming on the final day), I pretty much wrote off my chances. It's essentially a lottery at that point, with many deserving scribes receiving rejections.
                          FADE IN:
                          PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                          NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Last edited by boobtubenewb; 10-08-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boobtubenewb View Post
                              With so many entries in such a short amount of time, forget having time to read the samples - I seriously doubt they even read all the applications in full.
                              This is logical, considering how everything played out.

When Impact was overloaded with applications and had to change the announcement dates, there were unprofessional writers who bombarded them with all sorts of wacky rumors and conspiracy theories, where Imagine Impact had to respond:

"... there is no higher order to any of this that any of you can solve. We're just humans reading scripts and applications in the order we received them and the rollout of the interview emails is constrained to the speed that humans can go!-

Impact was under extreme pressure to announce. I knew there was a possibility that this could happen. I wanted to get my application in early, but probably just like the majority of you I didn't submit mine to the last minute.

Anyway, this is what I tell myself in order to continue to hammer away through the rejection: It was because of the process, not my story idea.

Comment

Update.

Some of the projects that are now finished and ready to pitch:

https://deadline.com/2018/11/imagine...ay-1202499001/

Comment

Working...
                                X