No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Imagine-Impact boot camp

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
    It may be "SOP", but it's not really all that clear. They use the term "Creative Team", which may or may not include the "Shaper" and the "Creator". I thought it meant the Shaper and the Creator shared $40,000. The writer got $20,000 and if you were a writing team, you divided that $20,000.

"During the 8-week program, 20 selected Creators will work with five Shapers." "Shaper and Creator pairs will meet twice weekly..." They don't use the word team, but it seems like the same idea.

If that's not what it means. It would have been much clearer to say something like:
    "Each writer, or writing team will receive a stipend of $40,000."
    this is exactly the wording i am concerned with.

but i found this on the "home" page.

Because we understand the financial stress that sometimes comes with following your dreams, Imagine Impact will provide $40,000 to the selected Creators to cover living expenses in Los Angeles for the two months of their program.

Each Creator or Creative Team will then be partnered with a Shaper – a top screenwriter or showrunner – who will work with them one-on-one twice a week in two-hour mentoring sessions. While Creators retain full creative control over their projects, Shapers will help guide each project to its final state as a script, pitch, or presentation.

was there anyone in the program last summer that can confirm?
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      this is exactly the wording i am concerned with.

but i found this on the "home" page.

Because we understand the financial stress that sometimes comes with following your dreams, Imagine Impact will provide $40,000 to the selected Creators to cover living expenses in Los Angeles for the two months of their program.

Each Creator or Creative Team will then be partnered with a Shaper - a top screenwriter or showrunner - who will work with them one-on-one twice a week in two-hour mentoring sessions. While Creators retain full creative control over their projects, Shapers will help guide each project to its final state as a script, pitch, or presentation.

was there anyone in the program last summer that can confirm?
      I wasn't there last year, but that clears it up for me. I'd say docgonzo was right.

"If" I was ever selected. Which is a huge "if" considering that the chances are tiny that I would ever enter and infinitesimal even if I did, I'd find a way to survive for eight weeks without any stipend, if I had to. But I'm from Southern California, so I have friends and relatives there. I realize a lot of people don't.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
        I wasn't there last year, but that clears it up for me. I'd say docgonzo was right.

"If" I was ever selected. Which is a huge "if" considering that the chances are tiny that I would ever enter and infinitesimal even if I did, I'd find a way to survive for eight weeks without any stipend, if I had to. But I'm from Southern California, so I have friends and relatives there. I realize a lot of people don't.
        yeah, i think you're right. i'm submitting today. who knows...

good luck to everyone.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

yeah, i think you're right. i'm submitting today. who knows...

good luck to everyone.
          Good luck.
          "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

I was a Finalist for Impact 1, but I didn't get in. There were supposedly 50 of us, with 22 selected. I got to go in to their Beverly Hills office and talk about my feature script, which was a big deal for me as an unrepresented outsider. The script had previously won a contest, which I guess is what got their attention. I was expecting the interview to be more of a "tell us about yourself" kind of thing, but it was almost entirely about the script. They did get one major manager to read the script and he called me to talk about it, but ultimately he passed on repping me. Six months later I'm still an unrepped nobody, but I applied to Impact 2 with a new pilot. We'll see if I make any progress. Good luck to everyone who entered.

Comment

Originally posted by jdammon View Post
              I was a Finalist for Impact 1, but I didn't get in. There were supposedly 50 of us, with 22 selected. I got to go in to their Beverly Hills office and talk about my feature script, which was a big deal for me as an unrepresented outsider. The script had previously won a contest, which I guess is what got their attention. I was expecting the interview to be more of a "tell us about yourself" kind of thing, but it was almost entirely about the script. They did get one major manager to read the script and he called me to talk about it, but ultimately he passed on repping me. Six months later I'm still an unrepped nobody, but I applied to Impact 2 with a new pilot. We'll see if I make any progress. Good luck to everyone who entered.
              Wow, congrats to you! it seemed that many of the selectees were working professional writers already. means the competition is steeper than a more traditional "contest" for amateurs, you know? i think you're right about the interest being in the script, good to know.

i've bought that MasterClass full access pass for all the MasterClasses. watched Shona Rhimes (and will again) TV writing and started watching Ron Howard's one about Directing-- very interesting. i'd recommend it for any writer as well. get's you thinking about things differently. about all things that the film can be, instead of limiting your view to the script alone.

Good luck on this round.

Comment

If you don't mind sharing, what kinds of questions do they ask about the script? (i.e. character arc questions?)

Comment

I'll just say the questions were specific to my script and actually pretty insightful. I left feeling like I'd had my first big league At Bat, even though I was pretty sure I'd struck out. Next time I'll be ready for the fastball.

I'll also add, the people running this program are class acts. I would have expected a mass email notifying those who weren't selected, but instead, the head of the program called me personally, in the evening, to tell me I hadn't been selected, then we had a nice conversation about next steps for my writing career. Above and beyond what he had any obligation to do. I will keep applying to Imagine Impact until I get in or drop dead or they quit doing it, and I have encouraged others to enter this round, even though I guess I'm technically hurting my own chances.

Comment

it falls in their ultra-high budget range ($60m+). that alone may disqualify me.
                    I hope not because the story I'm writing now is also high budget.

jdammon, I like your attitude.

Comment

I'll just say the questions were specific to my script and actually pretty insightful. I left feeling like I'd had my first big league At Bat, even though I was pretty sure I'd struck out. Next time I'll be ready for the fastball.

I'll also add, the people running this program are class acts. I would have expected a mass email notifying those who weren't selected, but instead, the head of the program called me personally, in the evening, to tell me I hadn't been selected, then we had a nice conversation about next steps for my writing career. Above and beyond what he had any obligation to do. I will keep applying to Imagine Impact until I get in or drop dead or they quit doing it, and I have encouraged others to enter this round, even though I guess I'm technically hurting my own chances.

Cool. Sounds exciting. Yes. They sound very cool. Well, you've already climbed near the top. I am sure you only need a slight nudge to get in. I am curious what they are looking for. A great idea for a series? I guess I'll look out for Impact 3 or 4. These come so fast, many writers don't even have time to properly prepare. I bet they get a lot of rushed applications.

Comment

Anyone here who applied hear back yet?

Comment

rejections or if you've been selected for an interview will be sent on Feb 19th.

The finalists will be notified by March 11 and will have three weeks to relocate to Los Angeles for an April 1st start date.

Comment

Just to drive everyone crazy...

Someone posted on reddit on Friday (I think) that he heard from an "insider" that the finalists had already been notified.

Then a few days later the person deleted the post and even his (?) account!

Last year I believe that the finalists were notified on a rolling basis over a couple of days before the reject notices went out.

The Imagine FAQs say Feb. 19, but somewhere else they said the 20th.

Have not heard a single blip on social from anyone who claims to be a finalist.

No, I'm not obsessing. Not at all.
                            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                              Just to drive everyone crazy...

Someone posted on reddit on Friday (I think) that he heard from an "insider" that the finalists had already been notified.

Then a few days later the person deleted the post and even his (?) account!

Last year I believe that the finalists were notified on a rolling basis over a couple of days before the reject notices went out.

The Imagine FAQs say Feb. 19, but somewhere else they said the 20th.

Have not heard a single blip on social from anyone who claims to be a finalist.

No, I'm not obsessing. Not at all.
                              I saw all that! My goodness!

My money is on today being the day finalists are informed. I guess I could believe if they went out on Friday, but what are the odds there's not a peep anywhere from people who got to the interview stage??

Impact is being a little cruel not clearing the air either way. They've been getting tagged left and right on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Believer View Post
                                I saw all that! My goodness!

My money is on today being the day finalists are informed. I guess I could believe if they went out on Friday, but what are the odds there's not a peep anywhere from people who got to the interview stage??

Impact is being a little cruel not clearing the air either way. They've been getting tagged left and right on Twitter.
                                Why is it cruel? As a general rule, contests notify finalists before the rejections go out, and may ask for radio silence from them. That happened when I was a finalist in Austin. Nothing that anyone can do about it, and tagging them on Twitter is an exercise in futility. Those folks need to chill the **** out.

Comment

Working...
                                X