No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Screenwriter Consortium Business Plan

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
    I understand the passion from everyone and appreciate the comment, Droz.

I was not trying to be pissy about all but in this particular case we were alerted to concerns about posts in this thread by a moderator who is on vacation out of the country, no less. They took time from having a relaxing day on the beach to give the rest of us a heads up, so any comments which could imply the lack of caring or suggest anyone was trying to brush over things really came off as dismissive to the dedication the mods & admins have for trying to keep all running as smoothly as possible.

We know this is an important discussion for some and that's why this thread is still going even as it goes over 400 posts. Hopefully things will run a bit smoother from here on out and everyone can chime in with productive comments.
    Thank you, Will, for giving the consortium an opportunity test our marketing theory. You're a very gracious host.
    Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Ulysses View Post
      America is still the great melting pot, and few people keep the traditions up their parents or grand-parents brought from their home countries. I'd say most people couldn't care less about ethnical background.

Filmmaking is, like all arts, for individualists. The stronger, the better. I can't see a good artist joining a collective, even if it's called a consortium.

Whenever I see people grouping together it's a sign they can't make it on their own. This is they key weakness of a collective: it will only get those who aren't good enough to make it alone. The good ones will go out on their own and will not dream of supporting less talented writers. After all, it's tough enough a business.

Collectivism is the curse in today's filmmaking. It has infected Hollywood. The "team" replaces personal responsibility and bravery.

Film needs strong individuals with a highly personal point of view who are strong enough to watch out for themselves.

Everybody can do with his time what he wants, but if writing is your goal, writing is the best way to spend your time. All other things like playing solitaire on your computer, or Scrabble, or Chess, or web surfing or creating collectives and consortiums, is an avoidance strategy. So you don't have to face the white in the eye of the enemy, which is the empty page.

The time it takes to write all that paperwork for a consortium - why not spend it on writing a script. If it's good, nobody cares if you are latino, black, white, from mars, or from venus.
      It takes a village...

We're discussing a business plan--one directed at a specific market. Your scripts do you no good if you can't sell them. And part of your job as a writer, is to sell your script. And that's our goal.

We're not "artists" as you so claim...we're entertainers who wish to seek out our audience, create a need for buyers. If you don't think you're in a business, and need to network accordingly, think again.

For those who write for the children's market, the female market, the male 18-25 market, etc...would we be hearing from you about "who cares about these people?" Unlikely. Their dollars, spent at the box office, are important to the industry you've chosen.

Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulysses View Post
        Whenever I see people grouping together it's a sign they can't make it on their own. This is they key weakness of a collective: it will only get those who aren't good enough to make it alone. The good ones will go out on their own and will not dream of supporting less talented writers. After all, it's tough enough a business.

This is EXACTLY what I tried to convey with my original posts:

Originally posted by trujosh View Post

This is what I don't understand: how can you, umo -- an unknown writer that hasn't even be able to get a meeting for herself -- succede at getting a meeting to sell a bunch of other unknown screenwriters that haven't been able to get a rep for themselves?
        Only, I'm not as eloquent as Ulysses.

But then again, I'm not a writer.

Comment

Originally posted by umo View Post
          It takes a village...

We're discussing a business plan--one directed at a specific market. Your scripts do you no good if you can't sell them. And part of your job as a writer, is to sell your script. And that's our goal.

We're not "artists" as you so claim...we're entertainers who wish to seek out our audience, create a need for buyers. If you don't think you're in a business, and need to network accordingly, think again.

For those who write for the children's market, the female market, the male 18-25 market, etc...would we be hearing from you about "who cares about these people?" Unlikely. Their dollars, spent at the box office, are important to the industry you've chosen.

Thank you for your feedback.
          My final piece of advice from a marketing perspective.

After reading a lot of the counterpoints offered here -- especially the stats showing Latinos DO see mainstream films -- I would suggest adjusting your marketing message.

Not simply making a case for targeting the Latino market. But making a case for DIVERSITY.

I said earlier in the thread that in marketing we have to anticipate why people would reject our offer. A lot of stats support the possibly that the first rejection would be, "We already capture the Latino audience. No thank you."

I would suggest going with the core idea that now, in the 21st century, Hollywood needs more diversity in their pool of working screenwriters. This is a fact no one can argue against successfully.

I'd switch the stats to show the low number of minorities included the ranks of working screenwriters.

Working the diversity angle, I think you will get more prominent people to climb on board and apply pressure.

Make a case that both Latino and mainstream audiences would be interested in watching films produced from your portfolio of scripts by Latino writers.

This would mean you would have to be highly selective in the scripts you choose.

Because right now, from a marketing standpoint, I think your script submission parameters are too wide while your targeted film-viewer market is too narrow. I'd suggest scripts written by Latinos with a Latino protag.

That may include, for example, an action script that has no particular "Latino flavor" other than the writer's POV and the protag's cultural background. But it still offers a possibility for opening the door for a minority writer and actor.

I make these suggestions not as an aspiring screenwriter but as a marketing consultant who has worked with, and successfully branded, a number of start ups for passionate entrepreneurs.

Peace out.

ETA: You could also announce that future efforts will include other minority writers.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by trujosh View Post

But then again, I'm not a writer.
            You've mentioned a couple of times that you're not a writer, not meaning to be rude, so, what are you then?

And you're assuming that none of the writers are repped. Some may well be. Some may already have been produced. Umo hasn't put any limitations on membership guidelines.

It really just seems to be a way to put a different perspective and some goodwill forward, as well as exhibiting a collection of works, there are no fees, no one's script is tied up and the works won't be put out on the net.

This isn't aggressive.

Comment

Food for thought, Bella. Thanks for the advice.

trujosh, you've made your point...over and over and over again. If we knew who you were, perhaps we'd pay closer attention to the reasons for your anger. But your anonymity precludes this option, and undermines your message. At this point, you project loathing and disdain...unflattering, to say the least.

Step away from the horse...the horse is dead. Its maggot-ridden carcass lies before you.

Comment

To piggyback on sc111's post, here's another honest question:

What is your criteria for allowing screenplays into the Consortium? Do you have a vote by Consortium members to allow access to a new script? SOunds like it may be hard to get everyone to read in a timely manner and yay or nay.

I ask, because it seems like quality would be paramount. If someone, say a development exec, decides to check out your wares... if the first script or two he/she/it comes across are garbage, it would be to the detriment of the solid scripts in the Consortium. A diamond in the rough might remain just that, because the shittier scripts turned to exec off of the consortium altogether.

I think for this to work, you need a pretty narrowly defined cache of scripts that are all of superior quality, which brings up other questions.

Such as: Who among you is qualified to make that judgment (allowing that subjectivity is a huge part of this game)? How would you accept new members without letting any yahoo come in a sully the rep of the solid writers in the plan? And, how do you prevent this process from becoming political?

Just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                  To piggyback on sc111's post, here's another honest question:

What is your criteria for allowing screenplays into the Consortium? Do you have a vote by Consortium members to allow access to a new script? SOunds like it may be hard to get everyone to read in a timely manner and yay or nay.

I ask, because it seems like quality would be paramount. If someone, say a development exec, decides to check out your wares... if the first script or two he/she/it comes across are garbage, it would be to the detriment of the solid scripts in the Consortium. A diamond in the rough might remain just that, because the shittier scripts turned to exec off of the consortium altogether.

I think for this to work, you need a pretty narrowly defined cache of scripts that are all of superior quality, which brings up other questions.

Such as: Who among you is qualified to make that judgment (allowing that subjectivity is a huge part of this game)? How would you accept new members without letting any yahoo come in a sully the rep of the solid writers in the plan? And, how do you prevent this process from becoming political?

Just food for thought.
                  Agreed. This is the most important aspect of the process. The quality must be there. We're debating various options at this point, including outside readers. And we have consortium writers who are qualified to determine which scripts will meet the standards required.

No easy task, especially with time constraints. We're working through the logistics.

As a matter of fact, we may postpone an open call announcement to avoid a flood of scripts clogging up the process. Quality versus quantity at this point.

Comment

Tackling the topic of submissions:

Lucky for us, a pro reader with a fat resume and keen insight has offered to help us with reads for a minimal cost of $15.00. Needless to say, we're grateful for the generous offer.

Our Consortium Reader will evaluate scripts based on requirements for a professional screenplay. If a script does not qualify due to lack of professional screenwriting skills, the script will be rejected.

If a script is approved by the Consortium Reader, it will then be passed onto the Consortium Executive Committee and Consortium Submissions Committee for additional reads.

The Consortium Submissions Committee will, whenever possible, exchange information with other committee members to enhance the evaluation of a particular script.

Final determination for inclusion in the Consortium inventory will be determined by the Consortium Executive Committee.

Here's the thought process so far:

1. The fifteen-dollar reading fee will be passed onto the writer per submission. These fees will be paid directly to our Consortium reader. No monies will be paid to the Consortium nor will the Consortium profit in any way in this regard.

2. The reading fee will be waived for:
                    a. Current consortium members (as of today's date).
                    b. Writers who have representation.
                    c. Writers with credits.

3. Volunteer Consortium members (based on experience) will address the next level of reads to assure all submissions are given a fair evaluation. Participation in this process will equate to membership in the Consortium Submissions Committee. Final determination of the committee members will be made by the Consortium Executive Committee.

4. Our Website submissions page will be amended to reflect final changes.

5. Until we settle the reading issue, including website changes to reflect the new strategy, we're not publicizing a call for submissions.

6. Details of how the Consortium Submissions Committee will operate are forthcoming. Suggestions are welcome.

An important statistic to consider: Within the DD community, we can expect that 5-10% of all scripts submitted will qualify for Consortium inventory. When considering an open call for submissions, we can expect less than a 5% return. It is imperative that our scripts reflect the caliber we're promising to buyers, so no doubt, the selection process will be nothing less than arduous. We'll be digging for gold essentially.

Feedback, comments are welcome.

Also, please email me... [email protected] if you wish to participate in the Submissions Committee. We'll make arrangements to work around everyone's schedule.

Thank you.

umo

Comment

Lopez Tonight - TBS gets it.

The first late night show with a Latino host and Latino flavor.

George is tearing it up. Homeboy's entertaining.

If you wanna laugh, please watch it.

This is similar to what umo and a few of us have been saying regarding films, IMHO.

Corona
                      I love you, Reyna . . .

I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Working...
                      X