Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a meeting or not?

Not long ago, I had a studio take out a pilot to networks. Everyone passed. But there was one sliver of interest from one of the nets. The executive at the network really enjoyed it and mentioned to the executive at the studio who submitted that I should come in for a general.

A couple days later, my manager contacts the network executive to set said general. But they responded by saying that they were putting a stop on all generals because of staffiing season and that we should check back in a few months.

So my questions:

Is it normal to put a stop on generals during crazy season? I'm guessing yes, but you never know...

Or was this a polite blow off instead?

Is it worth contacting the executive again even though it's a few months later and possible they might not remember?

And my big question: Can I still land this general even though I want to leave my current manager and get a new one? Keep in mind I've had no direct contact with the network executive. It's all been through my manager and the studio exec.

Re: Do I have a meeting or not?

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
    Is it normal to put a stop on generals during crazy season? I'm guessing yes, but you never know...
    Very normal.

Is it worth contacting the executive again even though it's a few months later and possible they might not remember?
    Yes. They won't remember if you don't remind them.

And my big question: Can I still land this general even though I want to leave my current manager and get a new one? Keep in mind I've had no direct contact with the network executive. It's all been through my manager and the studio exec.
    Does your manager know you want to leave? If you haven't told him yet, maybe set the general first. If you have, then tell your new manager what was sent to the executive and ask them to reach out on your behalf.

Comment

Yes, staffing is crazy and they are doing generals with all levels of staffers.

Have your managers assistant reach out to the exec's assistant to set up something now that staffing is over.
      Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Okay, sounds like getting the meeting won't be a big deal. Still worried about the manager situation, though. I'm not quite ready to go on the hunt (still working on fresh material), but do want to get this general going as soon as possible...

Comment

Not long ago, I had a studio take out a pilot to networks. Everyone passed. But there was one sliver of interest from one of the nets. The executive at the network really enjoyed it and mentioned to the executive at the studio who submitted that I should come in for a general.

A couple days later, my manager contacts the network executive to set said general. But they responded by saying that they were putting a stop on all generals because of staffiing season and that we should check back in a few months.

So my questions:

Or was this a polite blow off instead?

The best advice I can give is that you take people at their word and operate from that fact. Assume you have a meeting until it's clear you don't. And work with the manager you have until you find out. Be clear with that manager what you want and need to know about it. If he/she is unresponsive then contact the studio exec and the network exec yourself and ask. None of this is going to hurt you.

The only way you get anywhere in this business is getting yourself there. And the worst thing you can do is be fearful about it. You either have the meeting or you don't. It's your career. It's up to you to be proactive and find out.

So what happens if there's no meeting? Nothing. You're no worse off. You haven't moved backwards. It's just like every other of the hundreds of NOs every single writer hears. You let it bother you for 24 hours then you move on. You move forward with your plans to replace your current manager. You plow ahead.

That said, I hope you get your meeting.

Comment

Do you know your manager's assistant? Reach out to them.

I would do this meeting while with this manager because if you get a new manager they might not have a relationship with this exec and it'll be harder and confusing to reach out to set a meeting because it'll be a different person.

I'm not sure if I would reach out to the studio/network exec but if you can find out who their assistant is, they can possibly help.
            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
            X