No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared story credit

Hey all,

A screenplay I wrote is being purchased by a production company. It's a WGA deal.

The screenplay was written by myself. The story, however, was co-written. I have an agreement with the person who helped me crack the story. He is a friend and all is good.

I am trying to figure out what percentage of the purchase price he is entitled to.

In other words: how much of, say, $100 is story worth? Obviously I am the other half of that credit/sum, so we would split that portion down the middle.

Re: Shared story credit

Maybe look at the WGA minimums as a guide. Granted anyone can ask or agree to whatever they want, but look at what the WGA has set as minimums:

Original Screenplay, Including Treatment $71,236

Original Screenplay, Excluding Treatment: $47,862

Original Story or Treatment: $32,276

Now granted working with these numbers and others it doesn't match up exactly by any means, but it's probably safe to say that the percent for story is around 33% especially if it was a pretty detailed, thorough treatment/story laid out.

Thus from your $100 example, you'd get $70 for writing the script; then the two of you would split $30. Again, this is quick, dirty and somewhat crude math but still it could probably be applied pretty fairly, particularly if your partner in all this feels comfortable with that.

Others might be able to jump in with some of their experiences in situations like this, but again I don't think this would really be that far off by any means.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
    X