Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think someone jacked my ****

so back in december someone emailed me out of the blue, asking if they could film a short i wrote if they gave me writing credit. I said: sure, go for it (thinking nothing would actually come of it.) But today i hopped on youtube to see what the haps was since i've not heard anything back from them since the initial email exchange. look what i found.....

link to video..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzHmTIIFG5o

link to my original script.... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8I...ew?usp=sharing ( http://www.simplyscripts.net/cgi-bin...?m-1422210230/ )

do you agree that the video resembles the script?

Anyway, what's funny is, the person who made this video isn't the same person who contacted me about making it -- nor is it the same production company. Also, the video was posted 9 months ago. Also, I'm not credited.

am i jumping the gun here? ultimately it's no big deal, but i do feel like someone jacked my property w/o giving me story credit. what do you think?

*not only that, but should I contact the person who emailed me and tell him that it looks like the story was already made?
    Last edited by bjamin; 01-14-2017, 09:53 AM. Reason: *

Re: I think someone jacked my ****

Yes, it completely resembles your script--they used your exact words, though some stuff was changed slightly. Have you contacted them? It would seem the right thing for them to do to give you credit.

Students should have known better than to give you no credit. It seems you could at least reach out and know what happened--perhaps as a learning experience.

I'd be curious (if I were you) to know how they got your material and why they decided to use it without permission.

Comment

Originally posted by SBdeb View Post
      Yes, it completely resembles your script--they used your exact words, though some stuff was changed slightly. Have you contacted them? It would seem the right thing for them to do to give you credit.

Students should have known better than to give you no credit. It seems you could at least reach out and know what happened--perhaps as a learning experience.

I'd be curious (if I were you) to know how they got your material and why they decided to use it without permission.
      i'm gonna contact them to find out what's going on and ask for corrective action. And if they don't respond, I'll contact the school. I'm just not sure how to tell the guys who I actually did give permission to that the script has already been made w/o my permission. Thanks for your input, Debbie

Comment

They might have graduated if it was 9 months ago.

But yeah, seems fishy.

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
          so back in december someone emailed me out of the blue, asking if they could film a short i wrote if they gave me writing credit. I said: sure, go for it (thinking nothing would actually come of it.) But today i hopped on youtube to see what the haps was since i've not heard anything back from them since the initial email exchange. look what i found.....

link to video..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzHmTIIFG5o

link to my original script.... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8I...ew?usp=sharing ( http://www.simplyscripts.net/cgi-bin...?m-1422210230/ )

do you agree that the video resembles the script?

Anyway, what's funny is, the person who made this video isn't the same person who contacted me about making it -- nor is it the same production company. Also, the video was posted 9 months ago. Also, I'm not credited.

am i jumping the gun here? ultimately it's no big deal, but i do feel like someone jacked my property w/o giving me story credit. what do you think?

*not only that, but should I contact the person who emailed me and tell him that it looks like the story was already made?

The YouTube video credits someone as writer/director. I suppose you could contact YouTube itself if need be, because when you upload something to YouTube you are supposed to be the copyright holder.

The only thing is how would this new person have access to your short script? Unless they used a fake name when they contacted you for e-mail. This would be considered plagiarism if the student actually jacked your work.
          Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

i think you should shoot your version of the short because theirs was terrible.

your comment on youtube was great tho btw

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
              i think you should shoot your version of the short because theirs was terrible.
              I laughed out loud.

And I agree with Jimjim. You don't want your name on that version.

Edited to Add:
              Joking aside, I don't really have anything to add to this conversation so the next question(s) are because I'm being nosy.

If this is your script, albeit slightly edited, how do you think the other team got their hands on it? Did you post it somewhere? You state it was made 9 months ago. How old is your script? When did you give it the current team?

Again, I'm being nosy. Feel free to answer or not
              Last edited by LMPurves; 01-16-2017, 11:41 PM.
              il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Originally posted by LMPurves View Post
                I laughed out loud.

And I agree with Jimjim. You don't want your name on that version.

Edited to Add:
                Joking aside, I don't really have anything to add to this conversation so the next question(s) are because I'm being nosy.

If this is your script, albeit slightly edited, how do you think the other team got their hands on it? Did you post it somewhere? You state it was made 9 months ago. How old is your script? When did you give it the current team?

Again, I'm being nosy. Feel free to answer or not
                they either got it from one of the many feedback boards i posted to sporadically over the course of several years or via a craigslist ad I answered. The current team reached out to me back in December (2016) and said they hoped to start filming on or around January 4-5 or so. They discovered it on simplyscripts.

Comment

they either got it from one of the many feedback boards i posted to sporadically over the course of several years or via a craigslist ad I answered. The current team reached out to me back in December (2016) and said they hoped to start filming on or around January 4-5 or so. They discovered it on simplyscripts.
                  I was never comfortable sharing my work online for the above reason(s).

I've only ever posted a couple of short scripts that I didn't care about, or 3-4 pages of a feature. That way, if someone had the balls to use my work, it wouldn't affect me either way.

Of course, I haven't posted anything publicly in a few years, but I guess there must be a lesson in this for everyone reading this post.

Be careful where you send your work.
                  il faut d'abord durer

Comment

It's a student short. They made no money on it.

I'd be curious to see how they got it myself, but yeah there's a good chance some of my short scripts I sent out into the world via craigslist are movies now... I don't know how the hell you found it. They used same title I guess. Pretend you didn't and go one with your life.

Comment

turns out the director was given the material by the "story by" person (which makes sense), so he himself had no idea what was going on or that it was my script he was working on. but he did ultimately concede that the likeness was more than a coincidence and apologized.

Comment

turns out the director was given the material by the "story by" person (which makes sense), so he himself had no idea what was going on or that it was my script he was working on. but he did ultimately concede that the likeness was more than a coincidence and apologized.
                        good for you!

Comment

So you're saying we don't need to troll the guy on YouTube??? I was looking forward to that part :/
                          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                          X