Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Financing Your Own Movie

In terms of what you get out of self financing a film, it really depends. You will gain professional contacts from getting the film screened, it definitely can lead to other work in and outside the industry. It definitely teaches you a lot about the industry.

Producing your own film can lead to work in relating industries like advertising/marketing/pr or depending on your level of education can be used for academic purposes.

You might not even know what it's going to be used for when you make it.
    Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

And I'm not just talking about a 5-minute short or a $10K production. Maybe it's a $2M production, in which we contribute the screenplay and $25K.

I know what you mean and yet I thought I'd still say what I'm thinking... If the budget is 2 mil' and you need to pony up 25K for them to produce the script then there's some trouble or scam a foot (so they had 1,975,000K and weren't giving you a dime for the script?). In that instance you'd be paid at least 25K for the script. I think you meant closer to if the script and production were ultra low budget and your 25K against a 50K budget would be a huge factor on getting produced or not. In the film festival, the woman used the 25K example due to her having only 25K and wanting to know if she should finance the whole operation due to being frustrated with the system. A system I might add in which you have extremely little chance at the moment getting into a writer's room without living in LA first and pounding on a few doors for a face to face.

Financing your script has a create your own destiny ring to it we fantasize about but the reality is you will go through your money like wild fire. The responses to this question are interesting and mostly leaning against doing it. I knew a guy who knew a guy who lived in California and was making no budget films. My friend was always trying to set me up with him to make something together. I saw his films on youtube and they were awful. You wonder if he had a budget could he pull it off? I talked to him once and he was proud and passionate about his films. But in watching what he made it redefined my concept of a "filmmaker" because it did not look like anything on TV/movies. I felt what he was doing was sabotaging his own career by making these 25 dollar films (not 25K). He was under the school of grabbing an iPhone and a friend and make a film. The guy was guerilla however. If a scene called for an interior of a sewer he sure as hell was getting into a sewer drain. While I admire this "get it done despite any obstacle" method I felt the quality of the film in every aspect was unwatchable. I wonder if he had 30K or 50K or 60K could he pull off something amazing or would they drink/eat the budget away?

Comment

I know what you mean and yet I thought I'd still say what I'm thinking...
        There have been a lot of great posts in this thread, but what I tried to bring to the discussion was to 'help' with production costs, rather than trying to do it all yourself.

You just can't do everything yourself, and compete with Hollywood and the results that the audience expects.

As for the $25K being too puny to help much, well, that was just an example. I've never tried to raise funds for a film, but if I were trying to raise any money at all I wouldn't sneeze at $25K being thrown my way. Why shouldn't we be willing to invest in our own stuff? No producer would refuse it, would they? Course not.

Why should our default position as writers be that we 'cut and run'; that is, get paid up-front and then leave the other side to take all the risk (but then potentially reap most of the rewards)? Coming into this field, I'm an entrepreneur and free-enterpriser, so this point-of-view merely comes naturally.

I feel it's better to own 1% of a million over owning 100% of ten thousand. Of course, both quantities are the same, but it's arguable that being a small part of a bigger project is better, because the million suggests it could grow, thereby increasing the value of your 1%.

So from the point of view of a movie project, doing it all yourself and making a film for $10K may sometimes seem like the only way to get anything done, but it could also be all you ever get out of that project.

Now let's think about that 1% of a million, which is the same value, $10K. If you're just being paid out of a producer's pocket then that could be it, too. But what if that $10K resulted from investment shares? Then it will grow if the value of the project takes off.

I'm just looking at this as a business opportunity, not just art. Being 'writer-producer' has got to be the ultimate power in this field.

A writer-director may seem to have the ultimate creative control, but s/he still has to to put up with the financial decisions of the producer.

Incidentally, I have absolutely no interest in directing, even my own stuff, and I know that may seem odd to many of you. I just want to write my stories (specs only; again, no interest in OWAs), then do whatever possible to bring them to the screen, and lastly reap enough rewards to go onto the next project.

The only combination that's even close to writer-producer is, I think, actor-producer. Check out Pitt and Depp and others; those guys have dozens of projects in their production company development slates. Of course, they're in a unique and powerful position because they're the public face of movies. But we writers have something that's arguably even more powerful - we put the words in their mouths, the choreography to their actions on screen, and even the world in which they perform their skillful imitations.

But certainly, if actor-producer production companies are a dime a dozen now (they've figured out the secret), then we should move that way, too, if our temperament suits it. For some, it's not the way to go, but it's an opportunity that spec writers need to seriously think about - sorry, writers-for-hire can only hope the Union continues to negotiate good raises for them with every contract.

One last thing - and I know this strays from the OP's query - but like writers and IP producers in every other field, we need to start holding onto our copyrights.

IP is King. The producers, studios and investors know it, and it's time we understood it, too. If you look at the differences between the usual option agreements we sign, and the one that an author of any other type of source material signs, its pretty maddening:

http://www.satoriuslaw.com/docs/4.pdf

Notice how, in the two difference scenarios, the buyer (producer/studio) essentially still get full rights-to-exploit. It's just that they're so used to the wording and ways of things, in the way it's done now, that there's no reason for them to change - if screenwriters don't press them on it.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
          Why shouldn't we be willing to invest in our own stuff?
          A friend who is a producer explained his reasoning for only using other people's money: If you're going to produce a feature film, you're talking about at minimum a year of your life, more likely 2-3 years with post and festivals and distribution. You're likely doing this unpaid or for a very low or deferred salary. Adding in your own life's savings means you're not only losing salary from your job to make this film, you're losing double. There will be investors and that's who you should turn to. That's how you don't get totally screwed.

On the other hand, if you have the money and this script is your baby and someone who you trust who is talented can make it for you if only they had the money and you happen to be insanely rich? Then, yes, absolutely, you should fork over some money to help get that going. Just like if they needed catering and you're a good cook, or they need a Mustang convertible and you happen to have one. Anything that can get it going is helpful.

Just be careful. You've already invested all that time writing the script for free or a deferred payment or whatever. Then contests and queries and whatever else. Now more money?

But if you're interested in directing and it's a one location thing with 2-3 characters you can do for the money you got from your great aunt Bessie, then knock yourself out. Every situation is different.
          Last edited by cvolante; 08-13-2017, 05:57 PM. Reason: I can't remember how to do quotes. Rats.

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
            Anyone ever bite the bullet and attempt to produce/finance their own script? Was it fulfilling? A waste? I went to a film festival several months ago and this guy was teaching filmmaker 101 panel. He made a few movies 15 years ago. I found his information to be dated. An example is if you are trying to raise money for a film hit up dentists. Sam Raimi and The Coen Brothers did that in the 80's. Anyway, a woman said she had 25K and was wondering if she should exec' produce her own film because she's frustrated. The guy said absolutely not. I guess to each their own, but it is a gamble.

On the same subject I saw a doc' on a CW actor who was trying to raise money to make his own film. In the doc' there were several people interviewed about navigating the finance world for a film. They talked to Mark Ruffalo (The Hulk) and he told some examples of his crazy adventures trying to raise money. I think he subscribes to the "never use your own money" theory because he can easily finance an indie film. Even if he went 10 mil' into a movie he can just act in 2 films and get it back.
            I'm in the process of doing this now! I wrote a (mainly) one location comedy, made it as high concept as I could, and cast some great stand up comedians in the city.
            We're currently in post right now. Did weekends for about 5 months, 4-6 hour days. Really easy shoot. Used my house, and all in, probably cost $1000 to produce. That's props, actor fees, a lens, etc... So did it on the cheap.
            Hopefully some well known festivals will pick it up and get the word out on the movie. I'm being realistic about this, I don't see it being a Paranormal Activity, it'll be more of a calling card to showcase my writing and directing.

I'll keep you posted (if you like) about how things will go and if this will further my writing career.
            Thanks for starting this thread. Always happy to hear about others that take the plunge of directing their own writing - which I highly reccommend.

Comment

Oy.

I've done everything that has been advised to not do: put ALL my own money, shot the very first script I ever wrote, 16 locations, 20 actors in a 12 days shoot...

I'm about to mix right now and I have NO IDEA what I will do after that. (advice welcome)

I don't want to go the festival route - unless you know the programmers, it's a waste of money.

I'll be inviting everyone I know in the business at a screening I'm doing at Sony in March.

I will let you know if all this will bear fruits, but know this:

It is worth it.

I'm so happy I'm bursting, and even if nothing comes of it, it's a wonderful experience.

Last edited by vstm10; 02-14-2018, 08:42 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Congrats, I'm so happy for you! You have now learned more than probably 95 percent of people in Hollywood right now! Even if nothing happens, I hope it will though, you can now call yourself a director!!

Comment

I have friend about halfway through becoming a helicopter pilot with about zero chance of becoming a commercial pilot. it's going to cost him about $50k.

Another friend races stock cars, he's got a couple of small sponsors (friends basically) the rest is financed out of his businesses. He's good enough to be a contender locally, but will never make it on a national level. He notoriously won't put a figure on what he spends every year or tires, maintenance, repairs, engines, travelling to other meets and so on but has been racing since his teens to the total would be north of 100k easily.

A workmate has a $45k boat, it costs him some horrendous sum just to fill the gas tank to power through the waves to get to where the fish might, or might not be on any given day. Divide the cost of the boat and the fuel bill, add the number of times it actually touches the water (about three times a year) and envision the most expensive fish in the world on his family's plates. Oh yeah, and yearly he tows it about 500km on holiday through congested traffic to act like an aerodynamic tent carrier. All of which means he needs a bigger than average car to tow it for this single return trip a year.

Then there's guy with seven motorbikes, or the guy who takes his family on international vacations every year etc etc etc...

My point? Follow your "doomed" expensive hobby. Doesn't matter if it's film making or helicopter piloting. stock car driving or "simply" fishing. If you can afford the cost, financial and other, do it... why wouldn't you?
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post

My point? Follow your "doomed" expensive hobby. Doesn't matter if it's film making or helicopter piloting. stock car driving or "simply" fishing. If you can afford the cost, financial and other, do it... why wouldn't you?
                    Yes! Thank you! Your helicopter friend, your car race friend, your boat friend, you bike friend and me thank you very much for your encouragement!

Cause we all have bought happiness on the cheap.

(By the way, you defining it "doomed" kinda shows a little short sightedness. But, hey, whatever blows your skirt.)

Comment

Anyone ever bite the bullet and attempt to produce/finance their own script? .
                      uh... so sorry... I think i misread your question.

Are you talking about only financing your own movie, meaning having someone else directing it?

That I would say no. Categorically.

Comment

Anyone ever bite the bullet and attempt to produce/finance their own script? Was it fulfilling? A waste?
                        Seeing some activity in this thread again. I just finished shooting my feature that I've financed myself. We're editing now and going to submit to a bunch of festivals. It's definitely an indie and even shows it - for better or for worse, but I learned a ton about writing, storytelling, characters, telling a story visually and pacing. So no, not a waste by any stretch.
                        Even working with pain in the a$$ actors (now) I feel was worth it because I'm ready to handle difficult people in the future.

I kept costs to an all time minimum. I don't think I spent more than a 2 week pay check on the film, which I was okay to invest in making my own movie.

Hope this helped. I'd say definitely do it and don't hold back, or be scared of what anyone thinks, do the best you can do with what you have. It'll help your writing, if not, your career.

Comment

Originally posted by vstm10 View Post
                          uh... so sorry... I think i misread your question.

Are you talking about only financing your own movie, meaning having someone else directing it?

That I would say no. Categorically.
                          I meant you directing your baby with YOUR money or money YOU raised, but in asking this I wouldn't discriminate against someone who financed and produced their script but had someone else direct. The question really encompasses taking your script by the horns and making it happen and the story that came with it - good OR bad. I mean we keep hearing from all these industry millionaires how anyone can just shoot a film with an iPhone. That there's never been an easier time to make a film. From what I've seen the people who make a good stab at a marketable 10K film seem to have a group of talented friends with equipment that in between gigs help out.

Comment

I meant you directing your baby with YOUR money or money YOU raised
                            Yes, definitely yes.

Doing it now.

I wouldn't discriminate against someone who financed and produced their script but had someone else direct.
                            No, definetely no.

You would pay for someone else to play with your toys and you sit on the corner watching. And the chance to come out good are VERY slim.

AND - if for some miracle the movie gets noticed, it would launch his career, not yours.

Comment

Working...
                            X