• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: When Do You Quit?

I want to have your baby, HH.

Comment

This thread needs to quit soon it looks like, so if no one else has anything of any real merit to add please just move on.
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Personally, I think that when the time comes that you know longer enjoy writing, when it becomes a chore instead of something you look forward to (most of the time), when the thought of committing to yet another revision makes you want to rip your guts out, when the "nays" outweigh the "yays," and finally, when you have the distinct feeling that your time would be better spent doing/trying something else -

IMHO, I say that's when you quit.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmetfan View Post
          I've sold four specs (none produced), done six studio assignments, created a TV series (cancelled after twelve episodes) and made the Black List. Last two specs haven't sold, no assignment calls in six months, very dejected. Agents and manager aren't offering advice beyond love my new idea- go write it!

The question is: when do I just chuck it? I have enough money to live a few years. Do I keep at it or admit defeat? I dunno.
          Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
            "When the last dime is gone, I'll sit on the curb with a pencil and a ten-cent notebook, and start the whole thing over again."
            Okay, first of all this advice from Preston Sturges is very misguided in the year 2011. Take it from someone who is (literally) sitting on a curb. The ten-cent notebook no longer exists. The one I'm using cost ninety-nine cents -- plus tax! As for the pencil, why bother with that when the point will always break? Nowadays we have ball-point pens, and they are free. Here's what you do: Whenever someone hands you a job application, just fill out the form but keep the pen. I have about nine hundred, and they work just fine.

So it should be clear by now that I haven't quit. Just because I haven't completed a screenplay in three years doesn't mean that I've quit. It's what is technically referred to as a "hiatus." If other more accomplished writers can have them, then so can I.

Now if you'll please excuse me, I'd like to finish my meal. The Salvation Army just dumped it on my plate, and it's.... Well, it's free. While the rest of you idiots are paying for your food, I get mine free. Or at least it resembles food. And after you dump plenty of hot sauce on it, it even tastes like food. Then I'm going back to my curb, and I'm going to write in my ninety-nine cent notebook.... Or at least what's left of it. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to all those pages....

Oh, that's right. I need toilet paper.
            "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Originally posted by R.D. Wright View Post
              Okay, first of all this advice from Preston Sturges is very misguided in the year 2011. Take it from someone who is (literally) sitting on a curb. The ten-cent notebook no longer exists. The one I'm using cost ninety-nine cents -- plus tax! As for the pencil, why bother with that when the point will always break? Nowadays we have ball-point pens, and they are free. Here's what you do: Whenever someone hands you a job application, just fill out the form but keep the pen. I have about nine hundred, and they work just fine.

So it should be clear by now that I haven't quit. Just because I haven't completed a screenplay in three years doesn't mean that I've quit. It's what is technically referred to as a "hiatus." If other more accomplished writers can have them, then so can I.

Now if you'll please excuse me, I'd like to finish my meal. The Salvation Army just dumped it on my plate, and it's.... Well, it's free. While the rest of you idiots are paying for your food, I get mine free. Or at least it resembles food. And after you dump plenty of hot sauce on it, it even tastes like food. Then I'm going back to my curb, and I'm going to write in my ninety-nine cent notebook.... Or at least what's left of it. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to all those pages....

Oh, that's right. I need toilet paper.
              Try using your time at the library to write your script on Word, save to desktop, and e-mail it to your free hotmail account instead of writing on a screenwriting message board. Then you can use the whole notebook to wipe your ass. Sell the pens for a nickel each ($45), get a pre-paid debit card and get a free two-week trial of imdbPro and email that script (converted to pdf and properly formatted) to some prodcos, reps and talent. THEN come back to DDP and tell us how it turned out.
              "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

And when we're wiping backsides with notebooks I think we can safely say the productive end of the conversation is over.
                sigpic

Website
                Tweets
                Book

Comment

Working...
                X