No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A truly useful theory re: "Where are the women?"

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
    And a man tells the women they have talked about this issue enough. Wrap it up, women.
    A man is asking everyone (men & women) to please wrap it up since it's dragging on. I support equality.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

And a man tells the women they have talked about this issue enough. Wrap it up, women.
      in the interest of civility I'm going to assume you meant that tongue in cheek.

It's either that or you really are that much of an a$$.

Comment

Originally posted by tinlizzie View Post
        And finally, a wish for everyone - may you all have someone like sc111's grandmother in your lives. I did and I'm better for it.
        Yes. She was like a force of nature. And she never raised her voice.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

in the interest of civility I'm going to assume you meant that tongue in cheek.

It's either that or you really are that much of an a$$.
          There are a lot of threads that are a lot longer than this. I'm not sure why these voices need to be silenced.

Comment

There are a lot of threads that are a lot longer than this. I'm not sure why these voices need to be silenced.
            So it was tongue in cheek. Good.

Comment

Perhaps we can all agree on these takeaways:

Be conscious of praising innate abilities in all young people and take whatever opportunities present themselves to emphasize the value of effort and the idea that failure is the prelude to growth and learning.

This. Very important. I'd only add, praise parents doing great jobs, too, because it's freaking hard to raise a kid, boy or girl.

Two anecdotes:

Last week me and the kid were in the girls' store, Justice, buying school clothes. So we're in the dressing room and suddenly hear a deep male voice from the dressing room next to us. It was a Dad with his little girl. From her voice she sounded around seven years old. So Dad is explaining to her why the sleevelss top she wanted isn't allowed by the school dress code (shoulders must be covered, I know, it's odd). Then he encourages her to try on the one he picked out. And a moment later, her little girly voice says, frustrated, "I look ugly in this one." And Dad said: "Impossible. You can never look ugly. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Even my kid looked at me and smiled upon hearing it. We exited the dressing room first. And when he exited with his kid, I caught his eye and said, "You're a good Dad." He said, "Thanks. I needed that."

Another. At the end of the last school year, 6th grade, the kid was having a rough time with her biological parents (she's in our legal custody). She came home and told me this -- she was at lunch with her very best friend and a couple of girls. And she started crying while thinking about what was going on in her life. Though the girls noticed, not one said a word, they simply ignored her. The kid then tells me the only person, who walked across the lunchroom to ask her if she was okay, if she needed to go to the nurse' station, was a boy she's known since third grade. And when she told him she was embarassed for not controlling her tears, the boy said: "Don't be. I'm you're friend." It meant a lot to her to hear that. I know the boy and his Mom from birthday parties over the years. She was a single Mom until a couple years ago when she remarried. She's raising three boys. So, last month, when she brought her son to the party we had for the kid's birthday, I took her aside and told her what happened, and thanked her for raising a great kid. She said I made her day.
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Working...
              X