No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-writing outlines/treatments

hey all-

there is another thread about cowriting scripts and I hope this isn't retreading familiar territory...

I find that the hardest part of the process for me isn't the script writing. it's the story outlining.

This is the only moment in which I wish I had someone I could bounce ideas off of, or who could show me a different approach.

So let's say I have an original idea (i.e. not an assignment or an adaptation). And let's say I want to make my life easier by splitting story duties with someone.

- What would be the "correct" way to do this? Pay someone an amount of $ just to help break story?

- Would this setup only be seen as appealing to a young writer out of grad school? Or is it a somewhat respectable proposition to make to pros?

- If someone isn't in the WGA, would I just pay them a flat agreed-upon fee to work on the story?

- How would they be credited if they are not a part of the screenwriting process itself?

I don't know if anyone on here knows my plight but there it is. I also realize that there is another post on here from a guy inquiring about hiring writers just for a first draft- which is a somewhat different scenario to what I am suggesting.

Ultimately a part of me feels that offering decent compensation for a couple of weeks of work is, as in any profession, a totally legitimate setup. But another part of me feels that getting them onboard and then booting them just when the fun (and rewarding part) begins would be somewhat selfish.

Thoughts?

Re: Co-writing outlines/treatments

How would they be credited if they are not a part of the screenwriting process itself?
    According to the WGA, treatments and outlines are part of the screenwriting process. Credit would most likely be:

Story By
    Travis Pickle & Story Expert

Screenplay By
    Travis Pickle

In my experience with sitcoms about 45% of a writer's time is spent breaking stories, and outlining; another 45% is spent rewriting in the room; and the last 10% is writing scripts, although it's probably closer to 5%. Those are rough estimates and every show is different, but breaking stories and outlining are where most writers spend their time.

With features I spend at least 25% or more of my time on a project breaking stories and outlining.

Would this setup only be seen as appealing to a young writer out of grad school? Or is it a somewhat respectable proposition to make to pros?
    Depends on how much money you're offering.
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Re: Co-writing outlines/treatments

> I find that the hardest part of the process for me
      > isn't the script writing. it's the story outlining.

Welcome to the world of spec writing!

Me? I'm about 2/3 outlining, and 1/3 writing the screenplay. The first stage could be longer, depending on how much research is involved.

Anyway, it's why so many writers yearn for the day after they sell their first spec, and (think they) can then go on to assignment writing. Not to knock the great job those writers then do writing the next episode of a Marvel comic or of Die Hard, but writing off of somebody else's or a team's outlining work is a lot easier than doing everything entirely from scratch, obviously.

Anyway, there's always somebody out there willing to do something for a few bucks. So good luck. But get everything in writing in case the other side decides to "renegotiate" after your story becomes a hit movie ten years later.

Comment

Working...
      X