No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wrote my first script, now what?

Hi everyone,

I finally finished my first feature script and I know that my first task right now is write a second one but I would also like to do something with this first one I already have. What would you recommend? I wanted to send it to competitions and so on but the entry fee for a lot of them (all of them?) is quite high. Do you guys know screenplay competitions with no entry fee?

Thank you all!

Re: I wrote my first script, now what?

not personal to you but i think most writers (including myself) would say (1) congrats! finishing a script, especially the first one, is already further than many other writers ever get; and (2) write the next one, and the next one, and the next one ad infinitum.

nothing wrong with sending it in to Nicholl or Austin, with the expectation that your first draft of your first script is competing against the fifth or tenth (multiply rewritten) scripts of thousands of other writers. long odds, statistically, but if you captured lightning in a bottle the first time out . . . who knows? and even if you don't advance, you may get a sense of where in the pack you stood -- top 5% 10%? quarter or semifinalist??

but otherwise, i generally put everything i finish in a drawer while i work on the next thing and come back to it with some distance and fresher eyes for another pass

Comment

I used to hear some writers say, "Congrats on the first script, now toss it away because nothing will ever come of it." But I don't subscribe to that philosophy.

What JoeBanks said is pretty accurate. Send it around a little and get some unbiased feedback. Then start sending to managers if the results are positive.

Meanwhile... keep writing new material! Because even if you garner interest on your first script, you're always going to be asked, "What else ya got?"
      Last edited by Lahlowen; 02-09-2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I can't imagine anybody who writes anything and isn't thrilled with it. First script or twentieth, why else are you writing if not to satisfy your urge to get that story on the page? It's great! It's fun! It makes us feel special!

Well, I'm no different. But I tell you that the advice to keep writing is not just toward learning the craft better - because you will - nor simply to assemble a repertoire of multiple scripts. It also helps you to "get away" from that first amazing story you've written.

I've written 50+ scripts, and EVERY one has needed (and received) multiple polishes as time goes on: One week later, three months later, and a year later. And every year or so after that, I re-engage my stuff and am amazed how much I can improve the story or script (which are two different things).

Oh, and shorten it, too. They love shorter scripts. You will learn how to write in 2 lines what originally took 4. In a recent edit I took a golden oldie and brought it down from 119 pages to 107, and I didn't delete a single scene. It resurrected a good old story and allowed me to re-pitch it about 60 times this week. No results in, yet, but I did get about 9 website hits from the pitch blast.

So, to loop back to the beginning: You will think your solitary script is a great thing, and ready-to-go, but be very careful about releasing this animal to the world. You may only get a single chance to impress a prodco or manager or agent. I had some surprising contacts in my first couple of years of pitching (including for said 119 page script). That they were all passes wasn't totally surprising, but I have been bitterly disappointed that it's been murder to get a single bite from some of those early read request companies since then.

It's sort of their loss, as well as mine, since the version is now so much better (and shorter). But let's face it, these big production companies are not going to sweat the loss, whereas I kick myself every day for releasing (pitching) a script before it was ready.

Anyway, as advised, make the script as fine as you can, send it around for reviews here on DDPro or for few $ elsewhere, or lob it into a couple of cheaper contests. Nicholl has just opened up, for $45, which isn't too much for most of us. But for your first one, maybe avoid the open market - agents and prodcos - until you're advised by multiple readers that it's good, or that it still compares favorably with your later material - then try for a rep, or a sale to a prodco.

Meanwhile, absolutely move on with your next script and next and next. Eventually, you will have 5 or 10, and be pitching them all, and trying to write the next one, while doing paid polishes of the ones you've optioned/sold, and annually polishing older scripts that are awaiting a deal, and... and... and suddenly you'll realize you're a professional writer!

It may take 5 or 10 years or more, but it'll happen, if you stick with it.

Or, hey, maybe this first script you've written is a gem and world-beater.

But over the next weeks and months, I'd start down the long road describe above, just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Visperas View Post
          Hi everyone,

I finally finished my first feature script and I know that my first task right now is write a second one but I would also like to do something with this first one I already have. What would you recommend? I wanted to send it to competitions and so on but the entry fee for a lot of them (all of them?) is quite high. Do you guys know screenplay competitions with no entry fee?

Thank you all!
          I'm going to tackle this from another angle. First of all, like the others, way to go on actually finishing a first script. So many are started and a lot less are completed. It sounds like you'd like to be in the screenwriting business. And that's exactly what it is. A business. Your business. And like every business you need to invest your own money in it to maximize your business. This means going without something to enter contests if you have to. This means paying for IMDbPro to research producers. This means paying for whatever you need. To answer your question, no, there are no contests that mean a thing that are free. None. My answer isn't pointed personally at you by any means, but I hope you can benefit from the answer. Trying to do this costs money. There's no way around it. I wish you success.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
            Trying to do this costs money. There's no way around it. I wish you success.
            To add to what EdFury said, getting feedback is a good thing. I'd focus on that more than on entering a contest right now.

TitanCreed on this board does have a thing where if you are low on funds you can still get notes for 30 bucks. You'll have to wait for them, you'll get them much quicker if you pay the 100, but you can still get them.

Maybe try that, or some other notes or feedback, and see how you can improve your script.

Not sure if you need imbdpro. I use Done Deal's (30 dollars a year) search engine instead.
            Last edited by figment; 02-10-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for all the replies. I forgot to mention that this is not a first draft, I've worked on this script for a while and I think it's ready to go into the wild. The consensus here seems to be that entering contests and getting professional feedback , even if both are paying options, is the way to go. So, I guess my second question would be, which are the best cost/effective ones? I've been thinking about Blacklist, for example, do yo guys think it's a good choice? Which are the best competitions to send it?

Comment

Originally posted by Visperas View Post
                Thank you all for all the replies. I forgot to mention that this is not a first draft, I've worked on this script for a while and I think it's ready to go into the wild. The consensus here seems to be that entering contests and getting professional feedback , even if both are paying options, is the way to go. So, I guess my second question would be, which are the best cost/effective ones? I've been thinking about Blacklist, for example, do yo guys think it's a good choice? Which are the best competitions to send it?
                If you're wanting real feedback, go with The Script Mechanic, Scriptgal, Danny Manus, or one of the many other well-reviewed script consultants. Blacklist is good for letting you know whether you're in the ballpark, but feedback is often nowhere near as detailed as those listed above.

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
                  If you're wanting real feedback, go with The Script Mechanic, Scriptgal, Danny Manus, or one of the many other well-reviewed script consultants. Blacklist is good for letting you know whether you're in the ballpark, but feedback is often nowhere near as detailed as those listed above.
                  I guess I'm at a point where it's more important for me to know where I stand with my script rather than looking only for feedback. Those services are usually very expensive (I will check them out though) and I feel confident in my script so I'd rather give it a try in the arena of competitions and things like blacklist.

Comment

You will spend far more money on competitions and blacklist sites and never know a thing about your scripts chances, than paying one of the well known coverage folks talked about on this site. Contest readers and BL readers are nowhere close to the level of these folks. Additionally most contests you will never know where you stand afterward and can wait 6-12 months. I have had a couple semi-final Nichols scripts, had options, right to sell agreements, an agent on 1 project, been covered internally at WME, written 10+ scripts and know that my first 2-3 had no shot compared to what I write now.

You can listen to everyone, or you can just waste your money and get an expensive lesson. Why not just query managers and prod co's? You'll find out where you stand real quick.
                    Eric
                    www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
                      You will spend far more money on competitions and blacklist sites and never know a thing about your scripts chances, than paying one of the well known coverage folks talked about on this site. Contest readers and BL readers are nowhere close to the level of these folks. Additionally most contests you will never know where you stand afterward and can wait 6-12 months. I have had a couple semi-final Nichols scripts, had options, right to sell agreements, an agent on 1 project, been covered internally at WME, written 10+ scripts and know that my first 2-3 had no shot compared to what I write now.

You can listen to everyone, or you can just waste your money and get an expensive lesson. Why not just query managers and prod co's? You'll find out where you stand real quick.
                      Well, my thought process is that besides feedback and so on, I'd like to try and get something out of it. Also, you mention querying managers and prodcos but is that really effective in any way? I don't know about managers but I've done internships in three different prodcos and they don't pay a lot of attention, or none at all, to random scripts from unknown writers. Is your experience different?

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                        I'm going to tackle this from another angle. First of all, like the others, way to go on actually finishing a first script. So many are started and a lot less are completed. It sounds like you'd like to be in the screenwriting business. And that's exactly what it is. A business. Your business. And like every business you need to invest your own money in it to maximize your business. This means going without something to enter contests if you have to. This means paying for IMDbPro to research producers. This means paying for whatever you need. To answer your question, no, there are no contests that mean a thing that are free. None. My answer isn't pointed personally at you by any means, but I hope you can benefit from the answer. Trying to do this costs money. There's no way around it. I wish you success.
                        That's very true. The old saying of you have to spend money to make money certainly applies. It does in publishing as well. Recently had to pay $250 for editing and am looking for a cover artist which is going to cost another $150 at it's lowest. I have never used IMDBPro before. Is it worth the money?

Originally posted by figment View Post
                        To add to what EdFury said, getting feedback is a good thing. I'd focus on that more than on entering a contest right now.

TitanCreed on this board does have a thing where if you are low on funds you can still get notes for 30 bucks. You'll have to wait for them, you'll get them much quicker if you pay the 100, but you can still get them.

Maybe try that, or some other notes or feedback, and see how you can improve your script.

Not sure if you need imbdpro. I use Done Deal's (30 dollars a year) search engine instead.
                        $30 a year sounds pretty affordable. For both the notes and the search engine.

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
                        Sounds like some interesting people and that people trust them to provide good notes. Is there any contact info for these script consultants? I might want to utilize them in the future. I have used The Blacklist and found it marginally helpful. I might use it again in the future. But it's not likely since it's a monthly fee and $75 dollars for their notes. I have a guy who has done notes for me, but he's a friend, and I'm worried that he's just being a little too charitable in his feedback. He's a lovely guy, but it might be better to get notes from someone more brutally honest.

Originally posted by harbak View Post

Just querying never seemed to work for me, even after notes. Then again, I wrote terrible queries. I have query anxiety, haha. Contests are probably a good idea, but I wouldn't want to break the bank on them. Being one in a pile of contestant submissions may not be as personal as notes from a consultant. Then again, you never know, you might win. How about publishing some of your work? Screenplays? Having a portfolio is probably better, but IDK. I mean, there's nothing wrong with putting them out there in book form. Or is there? I've thought about it with my first one. Then again, I could possibly still get it out there.
                        I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Comment

Following your advice, I started looking into script doctors and coverage readers and so on. The thing is I'm very tight on cash at this moment so, besides whatever option I decide to go with, I was wondering if anyone here would be so kind to read my script and give me your thoughts and feedback. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                          X