• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pirates of the Carribean 4: On Stranger Tides - trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Td1l...layer_embedded

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN View Post
      The first film was brilliant, absolutely. The following two were a complete mess...
      Precisely. Because it had a plot.

Comment

The first film was much more streamlined than parts 2 & 3. The series got way too convoluted and exposition-heavy in the sequels.

The first film also put the emphasis on Will's character. And while a lot of people seem to dislike Orlando Bloom, I think his character was the heart of the first movie (Along with Keira). In the sequels that heart was missing, because the only characters I could identify with were sidelined.

I think films like these tend to work a lot better, if you have a "normal" hero at the center. Someone that the audience can identify with, in the middle of the strange world inhabited by countless of strange characters. When you take out that ordinary guy and replace him with a cartoonish sidekick like Jack Sparrow, the balance goes off. And I think Sparrow is funny only when he is contrasted by normal people. When you put him against someone who is just as much of a caricature as he is, he stops being funny.

This film has been getting the worst reviews of the franchise so far (Currently 38% at RT), so I will check it on DVD.

I know a lot of people loved the sequels and they will probably enjoy this one as well. I can't deny the fact that the two previous movies were extremely well crafted, but I found them kinda boring, because I wasn't engaged to the characters or the stories.
        Last edited by tuukka; 05-19-2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

I like both the first and the second part, the third one is a complete mess. The problem with part three is not necessarily the story itself, but the fact that it is impossible to distinguish between the "good" and the "bad", given that the characters constantly change sides. I did not identify with any character in the third film, and hence I did not care what happened to them.
          Jesus, if this guy owned a funeral parlor nobody would die!

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN View Post
              Protip: It's already been released in some countries.
              okay, that's fair enough.
              life happens
              despite a few cracked pots-
              and random sunlight

Comment

This film is certainly better than the last two...you know, because it has a plot...but it is still an incalculable distance away from the splendor of the original.

Comment

Working...
                X