No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
    I didn't make it to the quarters, but one of the judges wants to option my script. Happiness! Nicholl rules.
    How does that work? Do judges get access to contact information after they read scripts?

Comment

Great question. I'm curious also about how this works.

Comment

From what I understood, he can ask for the contact info once the script is out of the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
          I didn't make it to the quarters, but one of the judges wants to option my script. Happiness! Nicholl rules.
          Congratulations!! That's amazing!

I'm now a total believer in the power of Nicholl as well. Shortly after I found out my journey ended at QFs last week, I blasted out a couple queries with the subject line "Nicholl Quarterfinalist". I've since gotten two read requests - one from a company who'd previously rejected the query.

So for you other QFs who didn't make it to SFs, now might be a good time to send out those queries - before the entire list is announced publicly.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Has any one received script feedback ("comment notes") from the Nicholl yet for their QF script? Would love to know how verbose it is. I was a semi finalist last year but missed the QF cut this year so I'm going to miss out on the script feedback.

Knowing it's the Nicholl, I imagine the feedback will be pretty damn informative. Just wonder how verbose etc it will be?

Comment

Presto,
              I think it was just some comments, no? I didn't get the impression it would be anything too deep or penetrating.

EJ

Comment

I don't think they've been sent out yet. I believe they are just going to be the notes readers made while grading the script; not some formal, detailed summary. Should still be helpful though!
                Last edited by UpandComing; 09-19-2013, 01:25 PM.
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by Presto View Post
                  Has any one received script feedback ("comment notes") from the Nicholl yet for their QF script? Would love to know how verbose it is. I was a semi finalist last year but missed the QF cut this year so I'm going to miss out on the script feedback.

Knowing it's the Nicholl, I imagine the feedback will be pretty damn informative. Just wonder how verbose etc it will be?
                  I haven't received anything yet.

Comment

They just posted this update on the Nicholl Facebook page:

Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting
                    An update on reader comment distribution to the quarterfinalists and semifinalists:

We plan to begin emailing several reader comments today to each of the quarterfinalists. Once we complete that group, we'll begin emailing comments to the semifinalists. We're not quite sure how long the process will take, and if we don't complete the distribution today, we'll finish it up next week.

https://www.facebook.com/NichollFellowships

Comment

What an amazing thing for the Nicholl to do! It's exciting. I will be watching my email obsessively -- As I'm sure will all writers who have placed.

Late Night Writer

Comment

I just got mine for my QF script. They were so incredibly positive and complimentary (and the negatives soooo minor) it really gave me a sense of how loved the semi and up scripts must have been that mine stopped at the quarters. I mean the semi notes must sound like they're simply raving. Would be good if any semi folks chimed in on how their notes 'felt' to them.

Side note, the two readers for Nicholl and my two Black List readers were all about the same in their notes. Just mentioning that because the comparison has come up in other threads. My BL scores for the same script were 8 and 7. But the notes were similarly overwhelmingly positive. Though BL went into a little more detail on the negatives.

Comment

Check your emails! They're rolling out now...

Reading the comments on my sci-fi thriller, I am in awe at how carefully and perceptively the readers/judges consider the screenplays. This is yet another testament to the high quality of the Nicholl competition. If anyone doubts that every screenplay is read, and read with care from start to finish, banish that doubt now.

I'll post the comments I received this evening (typing on a phone now) and hope others will do the same.

A big thank you to Greg and to his helpers at the Nicholl office for offering this benefit to writers at the QF and SF level. Jeez, this must have been a lot of work!

Late Night Writer
                          PS -- 7th Level, comments on the Semifinalist screenplays will not come until next week.

Comment

Semifinalists won't hear until Monday. This update was just posted on the Nicholl facebook page:

Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting
                            Just wanted to report that we emailed two reader comments per script to each of the 223 quarterfinalists today. Since we couldn't get all the semifinalist comments out today, we decided to hold off sending any of them until Monday.

If you are a 2013 quarterfinalist and didn't receive an Academy Nicholl email today, check your spam folder and the email account you used to enter. If still no Nicholl note with an attachment, shoot an email to nicholl at oscars.org and we'll resend on Monday.

Comment

I'd far rather get notes telling me why my script didn't score 100, than notes saying why it was good enough to score 80. Encouragement is nice; improvement is better.

Comment

These are the comments from two judges/readers I received on my Sci-fi action thriller. Justin, FYI: some of the second judge's comments are, in fact, critical. What impressed me is that the judge zeroed in on exactly the weak spots in the plot I've been agonizing over in re-writes. Pretty damn insightful.

Comments:

Time travel. Always a good story. And this one takes theconcept and raises it to a new level. It feels both ancient and modern. What Ilike is that time travel from our perspective feels like magic, just as a TVwould to someone from a thousand years ago. The story is great, with strongcharacters, structure, pacing... and huge stakes, both internal and external.The characters were all well designed and really popped off the page for me. Iwas never bored, always asking interesting questions, and genuinely on the edgeof my seat, wanting to see where the script goes. In the end, it had a nearperfect resolution. It's a complicated read, and if you're not a fan of thiskind of story, I could see someone not liking it. But I loved it, and certainlywant to read more from this writer.

Taut, tightly crafted action thriller set in the present butwith big sci-fi elements... Time travel, a futuristic doomsday weapon, peculiarpowers experienced by the protagonist after he survives an incident that killsthe rest of his army unit.

Craft is evident throughout this script - everything iscareful and economical and tightly paced. Scenes are honed for maximum dramatic impact. Dialogue is sharp but not showy. Writer sets up the tone and genre and mysteryfrom page one. The script does a good and efficient job at getting us investedin protagonist's experience. Effectivelyraises stakes and provides plot twists. Given how much is happening and how complicated the story mythologycould feel, writer does a good job keeping objectives and protagonist's logicclear.

There are a few plot conveniences (Hank asks a friend to gethim into the private research facility, and coincidentally the lab is eager touse him as a Guinea Pig; it's a state of the art secure facility with cameraseverywhere but somehow Hank can just sneak in with a group of VIPs and skulkaround unnoticed; the friend betrays Hank without us fully knowing or caringwhy (jealousy is part of it, but it seems there might or at least should bemore...)

Still, even these aren't glaring and we follow Hank's logiceven when we don't necessarily see the logic ourselves. Quibbles over specific beats aside, the plotprogresses steadily and script maintains mystery from start to finish.

Threads woven throughout piece together to provide the"ah-ha" moment at the crucial moment of the climax. There's a littlegotcha twist to the end - but it works. Evocative and eerie (and sequelenabling) without undermining the story we've just invested in.

Professionally crafted and confidently executed. An engaging and briskly paced story.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Working...
                                X