X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: True Detectives on HBO

Originally posted by Timmy View Post
    I don't think it's even started.

When it's all over and you buy the complete series 1-X box set, it'll be just great.

This can become something truly extraordinary.
    Time is a flat circle.

Comment

Black stars... black stars falling from the sky... Carcosa... black stars...

Comment

I thought it was great, and I have no problem with the way it ended.

Actually, I enjoyed that the writer didn't try to "trick" us, or end up going on a tangent regarding Marty's daughter. That she was back taking her meds was all we needed to know.

It's a shame that a well-plotted, well-written, stupendously-acted treatise on good and evil has some of us wanting a little more circus sideshow theatrics. This was a good story, well-told.

Good stuff, and I can't wait to see what they've got in store for season 2.

Comment

the finale was pretty great, up to the inexplicable point that Rust apparently repudiates everything we've come to know him stand for throughout the whole series. "light is winning"? really?? nothing about the case or either of their lives off the job even remotely suggests that "good" is beating the "bad." anyway, at least until that head-scratcher, it rocked the house

Comment

What was the deal with Errol Childress' pappy on the wire mattress with his mouth sewn shut?

I'm assuming he was dead. I guess it was alluded he was recently alive and an unwilling participant since he was zip tied. My interpretation was Errol was prepping his pappy to add to the Carcosa decor in the old civil war fort.

Comment

I thought it was good, it didn't resonate as great for me storywise. The acting and character work was superb. The story though left something to be desired. When I compare this to Dangerous Liasions or even American History X, both which manage to combine great characters and story with a fascinating final moment.

The ending was kind of meh for me. And I agree Matthew's character change at the end, where he sees optimism just did not ring true for me. I thought it was an authentic ending to the story, just not a very satisfying one.
              826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

I watched it all. I was fine with it. But I just don't get what the big deal about this show is.

The acting was good. The characterization was okay, but not remarkable. And the story? Sub-par. Maybe I missed something, but everything seemed either pointless or contrived. In the finale, they have a big setpiece with the sheriff on the boat. But what did they learn? That there's a coverup? They knew that going in. The sheriff told them nothing new.

But how did they break open the case? By seeing that a house was painted green??? Where did that picture even come from? And how bad does a painter have to be to get both of his ears covered in green paint?

I feel there was a lot of that in this show. Ultimately, it all fell flat to me. It was 8 hours of watching Woody being angry and Matt being crazy. Which is still fun. Better than any network drama. But revolutionary TV??? I don't get it.

And I'm almost scared to admit that because there's a fanatical love for this show.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                  I watched it all. I was fine with it. But I just don't get what the big deal about this show is.

The acting was good. The characterization was okay, but not remarkable. And the story? Sub-par. Maybe I missed something, but everything seemed either pointless or contrived. In the finale, they have a big setpiece with the sheriff on the boat. But what did they learn? That there's a coverup? They knew that going in. The sheriff told them nothing new.

But how did they break open the case? By seeing that a house was painted green??? Where did that picture even come from? And how bad does a painter have to be to get both of his ears covered in green paint?

I feel there was a lot of that in this show. Ultimately, it all fell flat to me. It was 8 hours of watching Woody being angry and Matt being crazy. Which is still fun. Better than any network drama. But revolutionary TV??? I don't get it.

And I'm almost scared to admit that because there's a fanatical love for this show.
                  Screenwriters..... ATTACK!

Comment

Massively disappointed by the finale. Well, honestly, it was almost expected: the show peaked by episode 5 and went downhill from there. Once the story abandoned the multiple timelines, the flaws became too obvious, the narrative too straightforward and the results were rather dull. Yet I still hoped the ending would work somehow.

For a show that's still praised for its originality, it sure didn't leave any serial killer cliche out, together with a Southern-hillbilly-crazy-incestuous-murderer-living-in-an-old-dark-house-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-and-full-of-creepy-junk-dolls-included. The only thing missing was cannibalism and letters to the press taunting the police.

But I can live with cliches. What I won't accept is all the unresolved (or poorly resolved) storylines, the setups that weren't paid off, foreshadowings that led nowhere. Some excuse of a theme ham-fisted in the penultimate scene. Forget it, Jake, this wasn't Chinatown.

It was a very cool show a times, but ultimately it was pointless. It held a strong promise during the first half of the season, but it's easier to promise than to deliver, and True Detective failed to deliver (IMO).

I'm more excited for the next episode of Helix than for season 2 of True Detective. I guess that says it all.

And that last line of dialogue, I didn't buy it for a second.
                    Last edited by ; 03-17-2014, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Y'all got caught up in the hype.

For a show that was supposed to be "The 2nd coming of The Wire", this sh*t was hella weak. From the get-go. I called it. After episode 2, it became obvious that there was nothing special going on. And a few sh*tted on me like I didn't know smart writing when I saw it, lol.

You wanna watch a serial killer/crime show that already took this concept to a whole new level? Watch an anime called Psycho-Pass. You're welcome.

Can I get a Done Deal award or something? LOL. JoeBanks, no candy for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post

For a show that was supposed to be "The 2nd coming of The Wire", this sh*t was hella weak. From the get-go. I called it. After episode 2, it became obvious that there was nothing special going on. And a few sh*tted on me like I didn't know smart writing when I saw it, lol.

You wanna watch a serial killer/crime show that already took this concept to a whole new level? Watch an anime called Psycho-Pass. You're welcome.

Considering the fact that most people don't agree with you, no...

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post

Are you trying to convince others that it's no good, or yourself.

It really is OK not to like True Detective. Really. It's only a TV show.
                          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                            it sure didn't leave any serial killer cliche out.
                            I dunno.

I certainly haven't seen ANY backwoods psychopath affect a James Mason persona before.

As for the rest of the criticisms, for my part I found it 8 of the most spellbinding hours of television I've ever seen, but I suppose it's a case of ETTO.

Comment

Finally watched it (thanks to a free HBO access this week on my cable! So now at least I have joined 2014 culturally.) It was tough to avoid this thread.

I think the series is well done, well executed for the most part. I don't think it's revolutionary, but it certainly captured my interest this week.

Episodes 1-7 were pretty amazing, pretty well done because of Rust Cohle's character. Without him, it would have been a regular "cop hunting serial killer" show. Woody Harrelson's character was well crafted, but seemed like a variation of cop characters that I've seen before. Drinking, philandering and pissing away a decent marriage and a healthy life.

Episode 8 though… I can't damn the whole series for the last episode. I agree with Bunker about the break in the case, while it was technically set up, it seemed forced during episode 8. How it was solved was weak, especially since Cohle had spent years working on the case. It should have been there in the evidence that Cohle collected, but needed Martin's character to point it out. Gilbough and Papania are dropped cold. And finally Cohle's epiphany seemed like forced redemption and the creators/producers wanting a character arc for Cohle.

The Childress' Xanadu fortress seemed almost from a whole other show suggesting supernatural powers at work.

I did myself a favor and didn't watch any of the inside the making of TD. And when I saw the inside of the 8th episode I was thinking yeah, okay. They pulled back the curtain on the yellow king and he's a crazy backwoods killer with a James Mason obsession. And the dolls thing seemed like the art department was let to go crazy. Meh.

One thought I did have was if Errol Childress was able to get inside Rust Cohle's mind or vice versa and a dialogue was to exist between them, they could have set that up earlier in the season.

3.8 stars out of 5 for the season.
                              Last edited by Ire; 04-03-2014, 05:37 AM.
                              #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I recently started re-watching the series and the opening credits are masterful. They literally SCREAM information at the audience/viewer and it just makes so much sense now.

Damn, even the creds are amazing.

EJ

Comment

Working...
                                X