Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about letting someone shop your script without a written agreement

My script is a current Page Awards semifinalist. I sent out queries to companies and agencies, and a few of them asked to read the script. One of the management companies, wrote me today and said he wanted to query five producers. He also sent me a title page to put on my script, which is really just the same title page with his info instead of mine.

He named the companies, and three of them I know, two I don't. But that's not the issue. He said in his email that he'd like to send this script out, and if he couldn't get a sale, then "I'm free to find other management." But if he did make a sale, I'd sign a standard contract with him (15%).

Is this something that's done, letting someone shop the script without an agreement in place? I mean, I have the email as proof that I'm not under contract, and I'm not worried about copyright, but I've never encountered this before.

EDIT: Issue resolved! (I'll let you know if anything happens)
    Last edited by happywash; 08-19-2014, 05:20 PM. Reason: Issue was cleared up

Re: Question about letting someone shop your script without a written agreement

Originally posted by happywash View Post
    My script is a current Page Awards semifinalist. I sent out queries to companies and agencies, and a few of them asked to read the script. One of the management companies, NY Creative Management, wrote me today and said he (Jeff Schmidt) wanted to query five producers. He also sent me a title page to put on my script, which is really just the same title page with his info instead of mine.

He named the companies, and three of them I know, two I don't. But that's not the issue. He said in his email that he'd like to send this script out, and if he couldn't get a sale, then "I'm free to find other management." But if he did make a sale, I'd sign a standard contract with him (15%).

Is this something that's done, letting someone shop the script without an agreement in place? I mean, I have the email as proof that I'm not under contract, and I'm not worried about copyright, but I've never encountered this before.

Can anyone help me out?
    Happens every day of the week. He wants to target your script to a few people he thinks might be interested. How is that not to your advantage? He's laid out the his ground rules. He's told you who he can get it to and read. Can you get your script to these companies and get it read yourself?

You are overthinking this. If you want those companies to read and consider your script, you do this. If you don't, then you pass. By the way, my manager only takes 10%. !5% is on the high side, but again, you have to weigh the whole thing. Me? I'd do it.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
      Happens every day of the week. He wants to target your script to a few people he thinks might be interested. How is that not to your advantage? He's laid out the his ground rules. He's told you who he can get it to and read. Can you get your script to these companies and get it read yourself?

You are overthinking this. If you want those companies to read and consider your script, you do this. If you don't, then you pass. By the way, my manager only takes 10%. !5% is on the high side, but again, you have to weigh the whole thing. Me? I'd do it.
      Thank you for your quick reply. And some good advice, too.

Comment

The 15% is a bit of a red flag for me. I know the occasional manager will do that when you don't have an agent...but in my experience, it's rare. Feel free to PM the name of the rep, if you'd like.

As for the situation itself, to echo Ed, it's not uncommon at all. Particularly if it's a big rep who doesn't want to devote time to a new writer if this one doesn't stick.

Comment

Curious why this person won't commit to just sign you. Also strange about the title page, why not just ask you to put his info in?

Also 15% bumps me. 10% is standard.
          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
            Curious why this person won't commit to just sign you. Also strange about the title page, why not just ask you to put his info in?

Also 15% bumps me. 10% is standard.
            Hip pocket representation is a daily occurrence. I was hip pocketed by my manager to start until I optioned a script and got my first write for hire job. Good managers sign you when they see a career and one script isn't a career. And sending a new title page wasn't that big a deal either. Not strange at all.

15%? That's fishy.

Comment

Good managers sign you when they see a career and one script isn't a career.
              I usually agree with you, Ed, but have to disagree here.

I know good managers that sign writers with just one script. Yes, they still need to see the potential for a long-term career in that writer, but that can happen with just one script.

Originally posted by happywash View Post
              I wouldn't go for this. If you got the goods, you'll be able to find someone that believes in both you and the script long-term. Someone that wants to sign you outright. No strings attached. And to 10%. I mean 15% is not unheard of, but it's rare. This whole thing is kind of a raw deal for you.

But it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback when it's not my script/career on the line. If you've been trying to get this script going for a long time, and had no takers, maybe it's worth taking a shot. If it hasn't been that long, and you're willing to put in the time to get it out there, don't take this deal. Go with you gut. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by IGetsBuckets View Post
                I usually agree with you, Ed, but have to disagree here.

I know good managers that sign writers with just one script. Yes, they still need to see the potential for a long-term career in that writer, but that can happen with just one script.

I wouldn't go for this. If you got the goods, you'll be able to find someone that believes in both you and the script long-term. Someone that wants to sign you outright. No strings attached. And to 10%. I mean 15% is not unheard of, but it's rare. This whole thing is kind of a raw deal for you.

But it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback when it's not my script/career on the line. If you've been trying to get this script going for a long time, and had no takers, maybe it's worth taking a shot. If it hasn't been that long, and you're willing to put in the time to get it out there, don't take this deal. Go with you gut. Good luck!
                Hey, thanks for the response. This is a new script, so I am gonna take it slow.

Comment

like the previous posts, all seemed good until i read "standard 15%". i get that 15% of zero is zero. bothers me that he said it's "standard"... seems weird. each time i've dealt with someone who seemed odd, turns out i was right. best option is to just ask him why 15 and not the "typical" 10. if you do ask him would be curious to hear his answer. good luck either way-

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic1 View Post
                    like the previous posts, all seemed good until i read "standard 15%". i get that 15% of zero is zero. bothers me that he said it's "standard"... seems weird. each time i've dealt with someone who seemed odd, turns out i was right. best option is to just ask him why 15 and not the "typical" 10. if you do ask him would be curious to hear his answer. good luck either way-
                    I'm meeting him after Labor Day... told him I wasn't going to rush into anything. That's one of the things I'm going to discuss. Thank you for your input!

Comment

15% isn't that unusual for smaller management companies. It shouldn't necessarily be a red flag. There was a time when it seemed like every management company was 15% and had a clause that allowed them to attach themselves as a producer.

In recent years, the more established companies have begun acting like agencies. They went down to 10% and collected huge rolls of clients. Agents and managers have also been teaming up more, steering writers toward having both (ultimately costing the writer 20%) because it splits the workload.

But 15% isn't unheard of. It just means you need to look into the company's credibility.Look at their track record. Find people who've worked with them.

Some smaller companies can do wonders in getting you read, expanding your network, and generating fans and contacts. Some small companies just throw **** at the wall, and their "contacts" are little more than cold queries.

Comment

Hip pocket representation is a daily occurrence. I was hip pocketed by my manager to start until I optioned a script and got my first write for hire job. Good managers sign you when they see a career and one script isn't a career. And sending a new title page wasn't that big a deal either. Not strange at all.

15%? That's fishy.
                        I'm very familiar with hip pocketing. I guess I should have said, if he doesn't want to commit I would wait for someone who would. I've had a few managers now and I can say the best relationships are when they believe in you and not just one script.

But if a writer is in the mindset of take what you can get and see what happens, then go for it. I'm just weary of some people who call themselves managers...
                        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                          I'm very familiar with hip pocketing. I guess I should have said, if he doesn't want to commit I would wait for someone who would. I've had a few managers now and I can say the best relationships are when they believe in you and not just one script.

But if a writer is in the mindset of take what you can get and see what happens, then go for it. I'm just weary of some people who call themselves managers...
                          I concur with the duck. I've done the hip-pocketing situation before, and frankly, it was a real turn-off. I feel if a rep doesn't believe in you enough to invest in you as a writer, rather than a quick crack at one script, then your relationship is not going to have a solid foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                            I concur with the duck. I've done the hip-pocketing situation before, and frankly, it was a real turn-off. I feel if a rep doesn't believe in you enough to invest in you as a writer, rather than a quick crack at one script, then your relationship is not going to have a solid foundation.
                            I can see how doing that more than once would not be very appealing. I did it because it was the first manager of any kind to pay attention to my writing at all, even with a few successes without one behind me. He did sign me right away after the first reactions to the work.

It all goes back to getting your foot in the door. If you've not been anywhere with your work and someone legitimate comes along and offers to open it a little and get it to people you could never get to yourself, I think it's worth the shot. Not over and over again, but as a start? You'd have to seriously consider it.

Comment

I can see how doing that more than once would not be very appealing. I did it because it was the first manager of any kind to pay attention to my writing at all, even with a few successes without one behind me. He did sign me right away after the first reactions to the work.

It all goes back to getting your foot in the door. If you've not been anywhere with your work and someone legitimate comes along and offers to open it a little and get it to people you could never get to yourself, I think it's worth the shot. Not over and over again, but as a start? You'd have to seriously consider it.
                              Glad it worked out for you. I agree in that it's definitely a "your mileage may vary" situation. It really just depends on the rep, your script, the stage in your career, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X