No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready to receive projectile vomit

I am ready.

Of course, it's very glib and pointless. But if you read the tone and the message of the original poster, the subtext, as I understood it, was:

"Wah, wah, Hollywood doesn't understand our genius while they keep cranking out stupid movies."

Well, those stupid movies, many of them, were well-done. And if the script that they wrote is indeed superior to those, I'm sure they'd get recognized.

Anyway, I'm the a-hole here so vomit away. What do I know about the biz? I am still unsold and I've yet to get read by a studio reader.

Comment

Re: Ready to receive projectile vomit

No projectile vomiting, please.

Comment

It's not the reader's job to "get it." It's the writer's job to convey it.

Maybe the plot points that the reader missed were buried so deeply in pointless stuff that he/she couldn't find them. I haven't read your script, of course, so I can't say, but it's worth taking another look at it in light of the coverage you got.

A similar topic came up a little while ago:

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...1411.topic

------

I don't think "write a great script" is bad advice at all. What's the alternative? Write a bad script and then whine about how nobody likes it?

People might not know if the clam chowder is good or great, but they'll sure be able to tell if the clams are spoiled, the broth is sour, and the dog wouldn't touch the chowder even if his bowl had been empty for a week.

Comment

Wow, what a minefield.

I think Steve summed it up best. You spend a year, thousands of hours and you hope for a somewhat decent read.

Hollywood is all about the benjamins. Poor taste is rampant. I've met more accountants that have moved into development than I ccan count. And to a pod their taste is dreadful. Most pitches I hear are good for scenes or acts but are not solid stories.

Story seminar people with one or two credits or ancient credits are revered. That's another "joke." I say, read great scripts, novels, short stories, live life, see the world, get into trouble, drop pre-conceptions... all of these things have been my school.

By "Joke" I meant movies that don't scare me or are absurd in premise or execution. The fat black chick in Jeepers and the guy in the morgue was just bad - poorly done and executed in a film school drop out fashion. Talk about re-shoots to fix a script not making sense. However, I concede it is all a matter of taste.

We have a very good idea of what "story" is. We have no worries or insecurities about that.

I realize that in this town you either play the game or self finance what you want to make in some way. Like Rodriguez and a bushel of others.

By "it ain't Shakespeare" meant that while our story is a bit intricate it is still "low" enough that 13-15 year olds will get it.

As for our script, it has also been called "a true horror movie" by a Rocekfeller fellow. And of those who have actually READ it, two at the moment, are trying to finance it. It is in the 3-5$ million range.

I see part of Hollywood on the verge of a metamorphasis at the moment - I hope it is good.

I don't mean to piss on anyone's parade by not liking what the studios are producing. Just stop telling me it is good work when it is not or you know what story is and you don't.

This board is a school. Thank you all.

Comment

"And of those who have actually READ it, two at the moment, are trying to finance it. It is in the 3-5$ million range."

Then what are you moaning about?

Comment

Working...
            X