No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Escalating tension

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
    Each scene is supposed to build on the one before it so the story flows instead of feeling episodic. Anybody want to talk about specific methods you use to block out this rising tension/sense of building as you're outlining?
    Hmmmm, two things I've used that I didn't see mentioned are dramatic irony (or audience superior) and the infamous ticking clock. Especially when combined I think they're great at creating tension.

Like when the protag is on a crucial misson, racing against the clock or whatever and the audience knows a killer is hunting him but the protag doesn't. And the audience knows a confrontation is inevitable and it's gonna be ugly; the only question is when and how bad will it be.

Stretch it out over a period of time (like through the 2nd act into the 3rd), or have a couple of close calls or raise the stakes somehow (like with a ticking clock or increased danger etc.) or show alternating scenes depicting the protag and antag moving towards their inevitable showdown.

If you've set up your protag right and the audience really cares about him/her, the tension is palpable.

Kids are also a natural for audience sympathy and creating tension. Show a kid in danger and you've got a naturally tense situation.

Just some thoughts...
    Do not dream - Do.
    Do not imagine - Be.

Comment

Working...
    X