No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Latest Writer's Store/Insider 15 page Contest

Originally posted by dave22 View Post
    Just wanted to take a second to catch people up on how the contest win has been going for those who were interested. my writing partner and I met with Benderspink at the end of January. The meeting went well and Daniel Vang had a lot of good information and career advice for us. The most enlightening part was when we talked about building our brand as screenwriters.

We left the meeting with him asking to read another one of our screenplays and wants to see our next produced short film to judge our potential as directors as well. We heard back this week on the screenplay and said that although the specific story was not his he thought it showed an impressive amount of skill and wants to see our next screenplay when we finish it (so guess what I am doing right now).

The contest has been well worth it. The meeting with Benderspink was in no way a courtesy and we still have talks ongoing for our career. I still have to take some time to let that sentence sink in. We still have our lunch with Randall Wallace coming up (that's another statement that takes a moment to sink in). We have also had our script read by other companies and I have even had Brian Spink call my cell phone on a Tuesday to tell me his thoughts on the script.

I hear a lot of people say a lot of negative things about contests. I have heard about how people who enter them are suckers. That we might as well flush our money down the drain or light a cigar with it. I am going to politely disagree at this point. I have also heard complaints that this contest seems like a lot of work, or it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. You know what? It was a lot of work. I was up until 2-4am almost every night over the summer. We rewrote the script 4 times while still adding 15 new pages a week in the span of 2 months. This was the second time we have entered it, the first time not even making the finals. This is the 10th contest we entered and the sixth script we have written. Yes, it is a lot of work. If you're looking for the quick fix, this is the wrong industry to try that.

So, in closing, good luck to all who are in the contest. Good luck to all who enter future rounds. And most of all, keep writing.
    Congrats and thanks for a really positive, inspiring post I've given up on most of the contests except Nicholl, but I'm going to keep entering this one!

Comment

Nice update Dave, good to hear that you got a lot out of this and especially that they like your work and are giving advice.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Best of luck to you guys!

Comment

Whatever the next one is, I'm entering it. Too many opportunities not to. Thanks for the update, Dave.

Comment

Working...
          X