Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad behavior at movie theaters

Just curious what are some of the things you've witnessed at movie theaters or even experienced.

I saw a guy who was in the regular line throw a hissy fit when the cashier called on the Stubs A list member first. Proceeded to scream at the cashier and insist on being served first, even though, he actually came in behind that member. And the guy had a son. Reminded me of those viral videos of people fighting in line at Popeyes.

One thing that's really irritating is people surfing the net or reading the text during the movie. In the dark, that bright light is really distracting to all the people behind the person.

Re: Bad behavior at movie theaters

Ha! That’s nothing! We were sitting in a theater once watching Les Misérables, and a woman sitting in the row in front of us received a cell phone call. This interruption caused a wave of irritated grunts, groans, and comments from the rest of the audience who scolded her to hush her phone ASAP.

Not only did it take her too long to fumble through her huge purse to retrieve the phone, but the arrogant, insolent, impudent middle-aged hussy also answered the call and began having a conversation about some mundane thing or other about groceries.

As we two sat there, astounded by her lack of consideration, the fact that she ignored all those around her caused an even greater uproar among the audience. One member of the audience also got up, sought her out, and told her off. Then he went to management, who eventually came in and had a word with her (by which time she was no longer on the phone).

Nothing so takes me out of my willing suspension of disbelief than a cell phone ringing or two or more persons having a conversation during a movie that I’m trying to watch. In my opinion, every detail and bit of language in a film is necessary to the story, and I want to glean all the information possible from every last ort and morsel of dialogue and action.

Our movie experience was ruined for us, so we considered leaving as some other audience members did, but we stayed. Not long afterward, we saw it again in the comfort of our home on a movie channel, but the feeling and experience are not the same as it is to see a movie in a theater.

I like the big-screen experience in a movie theater so much better, that is, as long as others are considerate and polite about their telephone and pager devices. Conversing during a movie is equally as detestable. There ought to be a way to electronically brand these people as violators of the accepted rules of conduct and keep them out of theaters for a year (or longer).

I’ve also seen audience members become highly agitated and irritated by the sound of other audience members digging into their movie snacks’ packaging. There’s a correct time in a movie to unwrap cellophane or shake a box of Milk Duds or Junior Mints, people, and that’s when the music or action can cover it up for the sake of others’ viewing pleasure.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 12-20-2019, 05:23 AM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I have experienced similar to what the previous posters did. Rude people on phones during the film, people reading texts, etc.

Once I saw a woman who came out of her film saying very loudly that she lost her phone during the film and when she went back in there they had cleaned it so she screamed that she was going to sue the theatre and the girl who cleaned the auditorium because she "knew" the girl had stolen it.

This woman was very rude calling the girl who cleaned bad words and made the girl cry. All of us in the lobby were shocked by this "grown" woman's tantrum. Long story short the woman went outside and came back saying she found her phone in her purse and left. No apology either to the theatre people.

I also hate it when people complain about there being too many trailers with long suffering groans and little comments. Personally I like trailers and don't mind a bunch of them.

Used to be the theatre was a place of wonderment, fun, and excitement. A place where you can leave the world behind and just enjoy a good story, have your heart race, cry, and/or laugh. But now it seems everyone is stressed while there; employees and patrons alike.

I say "lighten up people".....

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
        Ha! That's nothing! We were sitting in a theater once watching Les Misérables, and a woman sitting in the row in front of us received a cell phone call. This interruption caused a wave of irritated grunts, groans, and comments from the rest of the audience who scolded her to hush her phone ASAP.

Not only did it take her too long to fumble through her huge purse to retrieve the phone, but the arrogant, insolent, impudent middle-aged hussy also answered the call and began having a conversation about some mundane thing or other about groceries.

As we two sat there, astounded by her lack of consideration, the fact that she ignored all those around her caused an even greater uproar among the audience. One member of the audience also got up, sought her out, and told her off. Then he went to management, who eventually came in and had a word with her (by which time she was no longer on the phone).

Nothing so takes me out of my willing suspension of disbelief than a cell phone ringing or two or more persons having a conversation during a movie that I'm trying to watch. In my opinion, every detail and bit of language in a film is necessary to the story, and I want to glean all the information possible from every last ort and morsel of dialogue and action.

Our movie experience was ruined for us, so we considered leaving as some other audience members did, but we stayed. Not long afterward, we saw it again in the comfort of our home on a movie channel, but the feeling and experience are not the same as it is to see a movie in a theater.

I like the big-screen experience in a movie theater so much better, that is, as long as others are considerate and polite about their telephone and pager devices. Conversing during a movie is equally as detestable. There ought to be a way to electronically brand these people as violators of the accepted rules of conduct and keep them out of theaters for a year (or longer).

I've also seen audience members become highly agitated and irritated by the sound of other audience members digging into their movie snacks' packaging. There's a correct time in a movie to unwrap cellophane or shake a box of Milk Duds or Junior Mints, people, and that's when the music or action can cover it up for the sake of others' viewing pleasure.

Yeah, I've actually seen a lady have a full conversation during a movie. She told whoever was on the other line, she normally doesn't go to the movies but was here today. Another time, another woman kept answering her phone. I got up to talk to her, but then stopped when I saw that she had two small daughters.... I didn't want to ruin the experience of her little daughters. Your experience actually happens more often than you think. I am just surprised that people said anything during your screening. Most times people sit in silence.

The one that bugs me the most is the guy that kept coughing up a lung during JoJo Rabbit. Now, if you've seen JoJo Rabbit, you know that the movie depends on charming dialogue, so he would be doubling over coughing during the punchlines. Plus, it got in my head, how far germs will travel. People were disrupted, but didn't say anything to him because he's an old man. If you have a cold, why do you go to a public place like a restaurant, mall, amusement park or a movie? It totally ruins the experience for people.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
          I have experienced similar to what the previous posters did. Rude people on phones during the film, people reading texts, etc.

Once I saw a woman who came out of her film saying very loudly that she lost her phone during the film and when she went back in there they had cleaned it so she screamed that she was going to sue the theatre and the girl who cleaned the auditorium because she "knew" the girl had stolen it.

This woman was very rude calling the girl who cleaned bad words and made the girl cry. All of us in the lobby were shocked by this "grown" woman's tantrum. Long story short the woman went outside and came back saying she found her phone in her purse and left. No apology either to the theatre people.

I also hate it when people complain about there being too many trailers with long suffering groans and little comments. Personally I like trailers and don't mind a bunch of them.

Used to be the theatre was a place of wonderment, fun, and excitement. A place where you can leave the world behind and just enjoy a good story, have your heart race, cry, and/or laugh. But now it seems everyone is stressed while there; employees and patrons alike.

I say "lighten up people".....

LOL. I think people drop their phones in those seats at theaters almost every other sitting now. I blame it on those super comfortable reclining sofas, where the contents of your pockets fall into the crevice of the seat. During the movie, I usually see people suddenly get on their hands and knees with their family members trying to help them out by flashing the phone light. That very thing actually happened to me too. I even did ask the movie usher (who seemed clueless). Then I went back and saw it tuck in between the machinery that allows the reclining.

It seems like there are always a bunch of people that come in late after the movie started then have a hard time finding their seat.

As far as those trailers, it does seem like there is always some guy that thinks he's funny and tries to shout out a zinger commentary about the trailer. Most of the time it doesn't get a laugh.

It's probably always been like this, but now with cell phones and social media, people are more aware of stuff like this happening. Still, nothing beats the experience in a movie theater. I still like to get people's reaction in a movie theater. Plus, those new sofas are super comfortable. And you can't get the depth of the screen at home. Not even Will Smith, will have a huge Dolby screen and test audience to let you know how they react to a movie.

Comment

This has been going on for at least 30 years, and is likely a main driving force behind people watching non-event movies and dramas at home. It's so prevalent, and has been going on for so long, that it's a given at this point. Even in the art house theaters (which were *once* a sanctuary from this type of behavior). All the other nonsense about why people don't go to movies (including price, parking, cost of refreshments) is exactly that: nonsense. THIS (behavior) is what killed off (and is killing off) cinema.

Comment

What you DON'T see now that you used to see all the time (at movie theaters) --

Kids flattening their popcorn boxes (popcorn used to come in a collapsible rectangular box) and winging them at the screen. At the end of every movie, you'd get these shadows flying up and bouncing off the credits. Don't recall the management saying or doing anything about it, but this was New Mexico in the '60s so I guess such behavior went with the territory.

Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 12-26-2019, 11:10 AM. Reason: upon reflection...

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                What you DON'T see now that you used to see all the time (at movie theaters) --

Kids flattening their popcorn boxes (popcorn used to come in a collapsible rectangular box) and winging them at the screen. At the end of every movie, you'd get these shadows flying up and bouncing off the credits. Don't recall the management saying or doing anything about it, but this was New Mexico in the '60s so I guess such behavior went with the territory.

Ha. Good old NM. I lived there for over a decade and thankfully my theater experiences weren't bad. All of the bad times I've had at the movies took place in CA, and typically in areas where you'd think they wouldn't occur.

Comment

I'd ask you to describe those bad experiences, but perhaps they're better left unspoken...

Comment

Ha. Yep. Just jackass people without any consideration for others. I don't go to theaters much anymore anyway. I have a baby daughter now and watching from home is just way more convenient and comfortable. Also hasn't been much coming out lately that seems worth seeing in theaters. I can say I'll 100% catch Dune on the big screen though. Need to reread that book too.
                    Last edited by DDoc; 12-26-2019, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I didn't witness it, but I did overhear an altercation a few days ago. Was in the bathroom and heard some loud shouting. Came out and caught the tail end of a family complaining about a guy that was super aggressive with them. The mom had said that it ruined their night.

I don't care. I need the theater experience. I do all of the above. Watch stuff on my phone, home theater, etc., but you get a better feel for a film listening to how an audience reacts. Still, you do see the same things happen over and over again as far as behavior. Some girl dropped her phone, so her boyfriend spent 30 minutes on the floor searching for it. Super distracting. And this woman in the front row decided to spend the entire movie surfing the net. Why would would you pay money to see a movie to only not pay attention, surfing the net?

Comment

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...ectid=12295971
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

The guy hits a moviegoer in the face...and they still haven't arrested him? I remember seeing this on the news last week. Checking your phone seems pretty minor compared to the other stuff I've seen where patrons surf the net the entire movie or even conduct a phone call.

Comment

Working...
                          X