Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Post Mortem - anyone?

There was a bit of discussion in a separate thread prior to last weekend's AFF conference and festivities, including some first-timers I believe.

Having been to AFF three times (not this year though), I'm just a little curious for some of you who attended, how was it? Now that everyone's had sufficient time to recover, anything worth passing along, however anecdotal it might be?

Just curious.

Re: Austin Post Mortem - anyone?

anyone who aspires to write a great feature script needs to hear Mazin's lecture on structure

La La Land should win Best Picture if there is a god in heaven

Comment

I la-la love Mazin's talk on Structure (see what I did there?).

I've seen it twice and would have gladly overdosed on it for a third time. Hard to believe the first time I saw it... it might have been in that small upper Driskill room that requires an elevator. Can't remember. I did strongly encourage a friend of mine to attend it, which I was pleased to hear from her that she did.

Can't wait to see La La Land.

Comment

Yes, Mazin was in the magic-secret-elevator room at the Driskill previously. Sorry I missed it this time. Did he use Nemo as the example again?

I thought the Jason Segel panel was one of the best ones I've seen (of all.) I don't usually care about actors, but he's a writer, too, and he was full of great advice/wisdom/anecdotes and I found it really inspiring. (Also, he really truly did write that vampire-puppet-musical extravaganza separately and was completely ernest about it! )

The Billy Wilder panel should've been given a lot more time, but it was really good.

Nancy Meyers! So strong and funny and bold and encouraging!

José Rivera had two panels and he really had great things to say about adaptations. Two takeaways: characters change in moments. Also there are the facts and then there is the truth. The facts can be discarded to tell what is true. (Obviously paraphrasing from a tired, foggy memory.)

At one point I was going to go take a nap. Then I looked and saw Shane Black was speaking, so I headed over there. Always worth it.

Carter Bays was also great. And Marta Kaufman.

Comment

Not as crowded as previous years, which was nice. I heard it was easy to get into multiple round tables as well (using the wait line), but my schedule did not permit (and now I've assured this avenue will be packed next year, hah!). The theme seemed to be win a contest or make your own stuff, as you-tubers, indie guys, and digital content developers seemed to find their way onto most panels. A much more intimate and cordial feel than previous years, though; truly appreciated. And La La Land kicked major @ss! Go see it

Comment

Great stuff.

Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Also, you know all those advance sign ups? Word on the street was if you got in line you had a decent chance to getting into ones you hadn't signed up for. Wish I'd heard that sooner into the weekend than I did.

Comment

I did a blog post about it. I've been 5 years now and this wasn't the best I've been to, but it was still well worth the price of admission. It did seem a little less crowded, I only saw one panel that was packed beyond SRO.

Comment

First timer.

I was also a bit surprised at the low turnout considering everyone was saying about long lines. Line for Jason Segal was long but everyone got in and he was fantastic.

Disney/Pixar panel was packed but no surprise.

Some disappointments:

1. Should have spent the extra money to get a hotel closer probably at he Omni. Was at the Courtyard but the extra five minutes would have saved me time and sleep.

2. Took me a couple of days to get oriented for the venues. I wish they had a section on places to eat and a better map.

3. Saying the Driskill Bar is packed is an understatement.

4. Networking seemed to be easier for those who live in L.A. or were a first rounder and above in the screenplay competition. People were a little more aggressive in talking to you.

But I enjoyed myself, learned a lot and 6th street is great for people watching.

Comment

Working...
                  X