X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why I don't like (most) contests

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
    That was good of her. Hey look at that, we're all human after all.
    I agree. Although I also think it's nothing more than damage control, I do think that it takes a certain amount of courage and humility to publically post an apologetic retraction.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake
      If somebody apologizes, I accept it and move on. Guess that's not what we're going to here, though....
      That wasn't an apology. That was ass-covering.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake
        If somebody apologizes, I accept it and move on. Guess that's not what we're going to here, though....
        I see...you're going to act all "mature" about the situation and handle it like an adult. How novel...

Well, on that note.
        The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

this is why i think so many writers are so livid: you pay 40-60 bucks where many of us have to work five or more hours to earn, the reader reads 2-3 pgs of your script - something that took you months, sometimes years of your life - in at most a few minutes, less if she was feeling particularly less professional that day, and then she and her organization take your money without reading further based on that scant amount of pages and tell you that they would've read more but you sucked so much they couldn't. despite many times scripts do get better. i know of even assistants that at least read the middle or the end. nope, if youre extremely fortunate 10 pgs is all you got. any contest margaux judges for and is involved with and any contest that fosters such a mentality among their readers (usually the ones that pay squat) are the pits and should be boycotted.

Comment

Originally posted by Klazart View Post
            Not surprising though, since it's clear that most of these contests are just about these people making a quick buck. Honestly, this is no different to managers who charge a reading fee.
            I agree.

I personally don't get the "getting cut after the first few pages is the reality of the business" mentality from her supporters. In reality, writers aren't paying reps and producers to read their scripts. Doing so would be considered a scam. And companies aren't paying story analysts to write coverages based on the first few pages.

IMO, if money is exchanged, you deserve a full read. Even if the whole script blows. Anything less is unethical. And, imo, a scam.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
              I agree. Although I also think it's nothing more than damage control, I do think that it takes a certain amount of courage and humility to publically post an apologetic retraction.
              It's not a retraction.

There was no mistake in the facts regarding how she reads and judges scripts.

She's sorry she made it public because she announced they're defrauding the entrants.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                It's not a retraction.

There was no mistake in the facts regarding how she reads and judges scripts.

She's sorry she made it public because she announced they're defrauding the entrants.
                See, this is where anonymity comes into play. If you look at the link Gillyflower put up, Chris' guest blogger used a nom de plume, so to speak.

Pure hubris on her part...I don't feel sorry for her because she did it to herself. But...whatever!

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
                  See, this is where anonymity comes into play. If you look at the link Gillyflower put up, Chris' guest blogger used a nom de plume, so to speak.

Pure hubris on her part...I don't feel sorry for her because she did it to herself. But...whatever!
                  Did he also stop reading if the writer wasn't from NY or LA?

Comment

She didn't apologize for slamming through 25 scripts an hour sometimes tossing them just because she didn't like a title page.

She apologized for "being snarky."

Snarky is not the problem.
                    GirlinGray

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                      Did he also stop reading if the writer wasn't from NY or LA?
                      Who doesn't do that...in fact, once I found out you weren't from LA, I stopped reading your post, ...j/k.

Comment

From her blog: "I admit that my post was snarky, glib, exaggerated, and didn’t honor the people who invest their money and their hopes in screenplay competitions."

For me, that's enough to lay off her. Plus I saw a picture of her on Facebook. Yes, I'm a guy.

Comment

It's not who you are inside, but what you DO that defines you.

Comment

Rachel Dawes played by Katie Holmes in BATMAN BEGINS. BAM! Nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
                              I judged for a contest for two years. I had a week to read 100+ scripts and post comments on each one. There just is not enough time to read an entire 100+ page script if you know it's crap from Page 1 or even Page 10, because I gave everyone the first dozen to show me that had it... it is not worth the time-wasting gamble giving a bad writer the benefit of the doubt to pick up his game from Page 50 onwards. You have to come out of the gate firing on all cylinders right away -- how many pages would a studio exec or "reader" give them?

Saying that, if I think the writing is decent, and has an actual chance, I read the whole thing -- mainly due to the fact I just freed up some time by dumping the chum back into the water, and I can take my time on it...
                              Unless you've paid the extra fee some contests have or entered a contest that includes feedback, this practice is typical.

How long does it takes to read a script and do full, proper coverage? Two hours? Three? If it's 2 x 100 scripts = 200 hours or five 40 hour work weeks. If you analyze 300 scripts = 600 hours or fifteen 40 hour work weeks.

What are the judges paid per script read? If someone can't write ten pages, can they write 100?

Many writers would benefit more from having proofreaders, editors, coverage people (like ones on DDP) check out their work prior to spending hundreds of dollars on entry fees.
                              "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
                                Rachel Dawes played by Katie Holmes in BATMAN BEGINS. BAM! Nailed it.
                                yup, and batman repeats it at the end, classic line.

Point is, all the apologies and "humility" don't change how she treated people who put their trust in her.

And if she hadn't gotten as brutally slated as she has, would she really have "woken up." Which really calls into question the sincerity of her so called epiphany. I'm guessing the only thing she's learned is to not be so arrogant as to publicly make fun of the people she's ****ing over in future.

People suck. Call me a cynic.

Comment

Working...
                                X