No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inception poll

Originally posted by -XL- View Post
    ...to the kids and father wearing the same outfits at the end...
    Costume designer Jeffrey Kurland begs to differ, according to this interview. He says: "...the children's clothing is different in the final scene...look again..." I think the interpretation of the ending can go either way and to me that's the beauty of it. The simplicity of final shot wrapping it all together is fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Galen Young View Post
      Costume designer Jeffrey Kurland begs to differ, according to this interview. He says: "...the children's clothing is different in the final scene...look again..." I think the interpretation of the ending can go either way and to me that's the beauty of it. The simplicity of final shot wrapping it all together is fantastic!
      Man, saw it a second time and was specifically looking for that (albeit so desperate for the bathroom I was practically holding it). Could've sworn they were the same. Fuck... Gonna have to go again, aren't I?
      twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Originally posted by Galen Young View Post
        Yeah definitely more apparent in repeat viewings. Girl's wearing like this orange/white combo at the end. And plus, the first time I saw it (in a half-empty theater) I swear you hear what sounds like the top hitting the table a split second after the cut-to-black. Dileep Rao says in an NYmag interview just as much: to listen carefully to the ending.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...o_answers.html

Comment

I just came back from watching. I vote #2. I think somewhere along the way he convinced himself that by the top failing that he was awake. Just like I think the way he got his wife back from her dream state was to convince her that the top she hid in the safe did not fall (albeit off screen).

But the top did seem like it was about to fall at the end. And the sound SUCKED big time at AMC, so I didn't hear the top fall or anything.

I have forever been ruined by viewing a movie at DOLBY LABS. The sound there was amazing.

I didn't notice some of the clothes... They have just forced me to see this again. All in all, 8.5/10. Even though I love Ellen Page. I really wanted to see a French girl play the student. I will assume that they were at the Sorbonne (SP?). She just seemed out of place for me. Even though I thought she did a great job.
          Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Asleep... or #3 dead ...and the whole story was in fact his wife's dream hence the top spinning and faltering, then spinning at the end... she is getting ready to give up on the dream and her memories of him but can't quite pull away. Pretty cool don't you think, a film where the main character never appears on screen?

Regarding the children looking older/different clothing. That can't be considered a telltale as the city they dreamed/imaged was decaying too ie getting older and changing

Then again I'm still willing to believe that Kubyashi was actually Keyser Soze so my reasoning could be a little off
            ________
            LovelyWendie99
            Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM.
            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

My take keeps shifting as I think about it, but what a great movie to throw up so many possibilities.
              TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I think the real answer is that whether it was real or not doesn't really matter.

What is real anyway?

There is no 'top' level. Dream worlds and real worlds are the same things with different labels on them.

What happened in the end I believe is that Dom was in another dream world (the top was spinning for quite a while), but his intent made him perceive it as real, and hence the top began to falter.

Comment

It's a red herring (and an obvious one by Nolan. If you didn't see the end shot coming when they introduced the concept of the totem, you might not be cut out for screenwriting). If the entire thing is indeed a dream, which is conceivable since at the beginning of the film we don't know how we got there, then anything, including the whole notion of totems. He then conceivably made up the whole totem thing as part of his closed circuit dream.

Comment

Maybe I missed something, but why couldn't he just dream that the top falls over?

Of course, in the end he walks away without waiting to see if it does, so it really wasn't all that important to him either way.
                    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                      Maybe I missed something, but why couldn't he just dream that the top falls over?

Of course, in the end he walks away without waiting to see if it does, so it really wasn't all that important to him either way.
                      You didn't miss anything. It's just a trick. It has no substance, it's just a silly, deliberate trick to get the audience arguing whether he is still in a dream or not.

Comment

He was awake, and the top was about to fall over (it was wobbling).
                        sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Maybe it was wobbling from the rumble of the approaching train.
                          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by peasblossom View Post
                            He was awake, and the top was about to fall over (it was wobbling).
                            Maybe he dreamt it was wobbling.

The ending is cheap. Nolan deliberately set it up to be inconclusive. If he meant for him to be awake, why cut just as it wobbles? If he meant for it all to be a dream, then why have it wobble? He wants there to be room for argument, but there is no substance to it either way. It adds nothing either way.

Regardless, it is a lazy ending. Show of hands. How many of you saw the ending coming as soon as it was set up in the first act? If you didn't, maybe screenwriting isnt the profession for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Killgore View Post
                              Maybe he dreamt it was wobbling.

The ending is cheap. Nolan deliberately set it up to be inconclusive. If he meant for him to be awake, why cut just as it wobbles? If he meant for it all to be a dream, then why have it wobble? He wants there to be room for argument, but there is no substance to it either way. It adds nothing either way.

Regardless, it is a lazy ending. Show of hands. How many of you saw the ending coming as soon as it was set up in the first act? If you didn't, maybe screenwriting isnt the profession for you.
                              I didn't see it - I was too busy enjoying the movie - so I have now given up any hopes I had of a writing profession.

Thanks for saving me a lot of time.
                              TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I think the ending was the best feature of the film (btw, I mean that in a good way, lol.)

But I really hope there's not a sequel, and if there is I hope they do it with a different cast so the DiCaprio question can live on.

I also liked it because I finished a script last month with an open ending and was debating whether it was "hollywood proof".

As for the thread -- I choose asleep.

The whole second half of the film I had a feeling in my gut that the ENTIRE film was someone else's dream. Maybe Dicarprio's.
                                "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                                - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Working...
                                X