Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScriptShadow Priority Run

Someone is using my name on ScriptShadow to criticize Priority Run a script I really loved. What the fvcking hell is that about? Why do trolls do this? What have I ever done to anyone on this community?

Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

I was wondering about that. I noticed it a while ago and actually avoided your posts here because of it.

And then I spotted a few people whom I DO know, or at least know of, making nasty comments on ScriptShadow's site -- the types of comments those people don't make. Ever.

The problem is that there's no way to tell the difference if you don't know the user in question. In fact, the comment that drove me away from SS's site was a harsh criticism of John August by some dude named Synthian.

Until recently, I had no idea Synthian was a regular contributor on August's site and that the one on SS's site was a fake. (I normally don't read the comments on August's blog; only his entries.)

So what we have here are trolls who think it's funny to pretend to be other people in the comments section of SS's blog. I can tell you right now that I have no plans to ever reply there again, so if any of you see SuperScribe or Ralphy W (or, heaven forbid, my real name) there, know that it's not me.

ETA: Yes, I realize that should read "know that it's not I," but Jeff Lowell saved me from worrying about that particular grammar rule. At least in informal writing. So thanks, Jeff.
    Last edited by SuperScribe; 11-21-2010, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
      I was wondering about that. I noticed it a while ago and actually avoided your posts here because of it.

And then I spotted a few people whom I DO know, or at least know of, making nasty comments on ScriptShadow's site -- the types of comments those people don't make. Ever.

The problem is that there's no way to tell the difference if you don't know the user in question. In fact, the comment that drove me away from SS's site was a harsh criticism of John August by some dude named Synthian.

Until recently, I had no idea Synthian was a regular contributor on August's site and that the one on SS's site was a fake. (I normally don't read the comments on August's blog; only his entries.)

So what we have here are trolls who think it's funny to pretend to be other people in the comments section of SS's blog. I can tell you right now that I have no plans to ever reply there again, so if any of you see SuperScribe or Ralphy W (or, heaven forbid, my real name) there, know that it's not me.
      I only noticed it today. Its insane, Terrance is one of the guys who has helped me out on DD...god its freaking annoying.

Comment

ETA: Yes, I realize that should read "know that it's not I," but Jeff Lowell saved me from worrying about that particular grammar rule. At least in informal writing. So thanks, Jeff.
        Wait, what?

Comment

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...ing-verbs.aspx

Comment

I am on that exact link right now.

And I am pissed. PISSED.

Comment

I think it mostly has to do with the idea that there's an unspoken "who is XYZ" any time you say, "It is I," "This is she," etc.

It is I (who is currently typing).

This is she (who is on the phone).

A similar situation arises with "than I."

Terrance is a better screenwriter than I (am).

Grammar sucks.

Comment

Grammar sucks.
                Sh!t like this makes me hate myself.

I am going to spend the next hour and a half sulking.

Comment

If it's any consolation, I feel the same way whenever I run into a grammar rule of which I wasn't aware.

ComicBent threw me for a loop recently with the whole "don't use a verbal as a verb" thing.

In other words, don't write, "Harry slams into the wall, breaking his nose" since "breaking his nose" is an action that follows "slams into the wall" (even if only by a millisecond).

Something like "Harry rubs his chin, thinking" is okay, though, because "thinking" modifies "rubs his chin."

On the other hand, there are far too many great writers and screenwriters who break that rule ("don't use a verbal as a verb") for me to worry about it. So don't you worry about it either.

(Sorry, Comic. )

Comment

ComicBent threw me for a loop recently with the whole "don't use a verbal as a verb" thing.

In other words, don't write, "Harry slams into the wall, breaking his nose" since "breaking his nose" is an action that follows "slams into the wall" (even if only by a millisecond).

Something like "Harry rubs his chin, thinking" is okay, though, because "thinking" modifies "rubs his chin."
                    I feel sick.

Comment

(Sorry, Comic. )
                      I'm confused -- you mean you'd remove the comma, right?

Jeeze, my grammar skills have gone rusty over the years.
                      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

ComicBent does a great job summing up the reasons for avoiding that particular construction. Check it out:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...t=27568&page=6

Comment

Wow. That's some hijack.

Jibjib, I wondered about that too. That's the internet for you. I don't get it. Script Shadow seems to be prone to it.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                            Wow. That's some hijack.

Jibjib, I wondered about that too. That's the internet for you. I don't get it. Script Shadow seems to be prone to it.

I am going to close this account down, thanks to anyone who has helped me. I am not going to use forums anymore and concentrate on my writing...

Comment

Originally posted by JibJib View Post
                              I am going to close this account down, thanks to anyone who has helped me. I am not going to use forums anymore and concentrate on my writing...
                              You don't have to go, you know.

I thought it was common knowledge that there were assh0les on the Internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X