Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash

Is it just me? The lead character in the show seems pretty lame. I believe it is time for him to act more like a hero and less like a mopey teenager. If nothing changes, I predict this will be the final season.
    We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Re: Flash

I'm not sure what you mean by "act more like a hero." A hero is someone who exhibits courage. Barry never hesitates to battle tough adversaries, whether it's to save lives (e.g., his dad's, Wally's, or Joe's) or to save worlds (e.g., Earth-2).

I might be wrong, but it seems like you might be defining him in terms of his emotional disposition -- the fact that he often wears his heart on his sleeve. I actually think that's one of the things that makes him stand out from the current crop of cynical, macho, dark, or anti-hero TV superheroes. He genuinely believes in the goodness of people, he cries when he's sad, and he tells the people he care about he loves them, without any snark. I actually find that refreshing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being in touch with your emotions, even if you're a superhero (particularly a male one). It doesn't make you any less brave. If anything, it makes you more enlightened. As for your assertion that this will be the final season -- not sure where you're getting that from. It's one of the top-rated and best-reviewed shows on the CW. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
    Last edited by UpandComing; 09-25-2016, 01:02 PM.
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by billmarq View Post
        Is it just me? The lead character in the show seems pretty lame. I believe it is time for him to act more like a hero and less like a mopey teenager. If nothing changes, I predict this will be the final season.
        Well, it is the CW. Most of their heroes are pretty mopey. Barry is actually more optimistic than the rest. Can you expand on "act more like a hero"? In what way?
        "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

I don't know. I just find the acting rather flat. I enjoyed the show at first, but it seems the Barry character never "grows." When he was on a mission to find his mother's killer and free his dad I felt he had some drive and purpose, but I quit watching the last televised episode about half way through.

"To hell with Doom, I don't want to be the Flash anymore. You guys deal with it" is the way I read his character's attitude. That is not hero-like in my (comic) book.

Again, that is just me. If the show rings true to someone else, that is fine. For me, I believe a different actor might improve the character. I could be wrong.

Comment

He suffers from the same problem as Toby Maguire as Spider-Man. The problem is a meek sounding younger voice.

In the case of Maguire, his whiny voice ruined the witty edginess inherent in the Spider-Man character. He also hasn't gotten many roles as of late as a mature, adult sounding character middle age character.

The Flash's whiny voice doesn't sound as confident as the Flash in the comics. It's a problem of casting. Seems like casting directors today are more about pretty faces and less about casting actors with substantial presence.

Comment

I don't know. I just find the acting rather flat. I enjoyed the show at first, but it seems the Barry character never "grows." When he was on a mission to find his mother's killer and free his dad I felt he had some drive and purpose, but I quit watching the last televised episode about half way through.

"To hell with Doom, I don't want to be the Flash anymore. You guys deal with it" is the way I read his character's attitude. That is not hero-like in my (comic) book.

Again, that is just me. If the show rings true to someone else, that is fine. For me, I believe a different actor might improve the character. I could be wrong.
              Sounds like your problem has more to do with the writing than Grant Gustin as the lead. I do agree that once the mystery of his mother's death was solved, the writers seem unsure of how to motivate the character.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
                I do agree that once the mystery of his mother's death was solved, the writers seem unsure of how to motivate the character.
                I think solving her death and freeing his father were utilized as motivations in the first season for him to accept the fact that he was a superhero. Now that those issues have been resolved, and he has fully embraced his powers and responsibility, his motivation each season comes from defeating whoever the "Big Bad" is. This past season it was Zoom.
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                  I think solving her death and freeing his father were utilized as motivations in the first season for him to accept the fact that he was a superhero. Now that those issues have been resolved, and he has fully embraced his powers and responsibility, his motivation each season comes from defeating whoever the "Big Bad" is. This past season it was Zoom.
                  I get all that, but it's not as compelling.

Comment

Fess up! Are you the person behind this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvUXbzxxdo0

Comment

Not mine, but it's pretty cool.

Actually, I sorta like the show, but I really do believe a different actor could play the role of Flash better.

I am having trouble with the story line, though. Barry wants to back in time to save his mother. He goes back, but changes his mind and watches her die. Later, after Zoom is hauled off by spooks from the "speed force" (Really? Dementors? Demons from Hell as in Ghost? And they took Zoom because he broke the rules worse than Flash did? Are you kidding me?) Barry goes back again and this time he does save her. Then after three months he decides he should not have saved her and goes back again to let her die again, but when he returns to "now" things are still screwed up.

Dear Flash writers - enough already with the altered time lines. Let Flash kick some ass and be cool with the women.

Comment

Not mine, but it's pretty cool.

Actually, I sorta like the show, but I really do believe a different actor could play the role of Flash better.

I am having trouble with the story line, though. Barry wants to back in time to save his mother. He goes back, but changes his mind and watches her die. Later, after Zoom is hauled off by spooks from the "speed force" (Really? Dementors? Demons from Hell as in Ghost? And they took Zoom because he broke the rules worse than Flash did? Are you kidding me?) Barry goes back again and this time he does save her. Then after three months he decides he should not have saved her and goes back again to let her die again, but when he returns to "now" things are still screwed up.

Dear Flash writers - enough already with the altered time lines. Let Flash kick some ass and be cool with the women.
                        It's hard to the defend the Time Travel stuff. Barry seems to make the same mistakes over and over.

Comment

Working...
                        X