Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black List 2013

First, a very well deserved congratulations to all the Done Deal family that made the list and to all the other amazing writers who followed suit. So happy for you all.

For the past several years I always peruse the titles before i read the loglines, and I have to say that on the titles alone far more than not interested me.

What's also great is that 5 (I think it was 5) were discovered on The Black List site-- impressive.

Hats off to you all.
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Congrats to all the DDPers who made it!! You've inspired us all by achieving the impossible dream. Look forward to seeing your stuff on the screen!
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Just wanna say that the script that landed me on this year's Black List was workshopped nearly 2 years ago on this forum.

Not sure if it's still in the archives but it definitely helped me figure out the best way to tell the story I was trying to tell. I even found a few writers on DDP to swap reads with (and thanks to those who did).

So remember to utilize the resources this site offers. Unbelievably useful to new and experienced writers alike.

You're always just one idea/script away from getting noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
          Just wanna say that the script that landed me on this year's Black List was workshopped nearly 2 years ago on this forum.

Not sure if it's still in the archives but it definitely helped me figure out the best way to tell the story I was trying to tell. I even found a few writers on DDP to swap reads with (and thanks to those who did).

So remember to utilize the resources this site offers. Unbelievably useful to new and experienced writers alike.

Only if you're good. And you are. You strike me as a pretty humble guy but I could tell after a paragraph you've got a career ahead of you. Congrats man, you earned it.

Comment

Not sure if it's still in the archives but it definitely helped me figure out the best way to tell the story I was trying to tell.
            Anybody got a link? It would be a great learning tool.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Arch Stanton View Post
              The part where your script only got 3 reads.

I always saw you as a pretty kickass chick. Figured that went hand in hand with writing kickass screenplays.
              Thanks! I like to think so.

The script didn't get only three reads. It only went out to three people. It's all part of the strategery. Some scripts go wide. Some scripts go narrow.
              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

That's a great anecdote and a wonderful piece of encouragement. Nice one, Adam.
                @MacBullitt

Comment

I'm ecstatic for you, ATB and all others that made it from here. Your post confirms the vitality of DD Pro with so many sharing encouragement, constructive advice and even script swaps at times. Black List this year makes my day... Awesome!
                  " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                    Thanks! I like to think so.

The script didn't get only three reads. It only went out to three people. It's all part of the strategery. Some scripts go wide. Some scripts go narrow.
                    Since you're a pre-pro on the very precipice of success, can you describe in detail the 'narrow' script distribution strategy? I'm intrigued.

I will probably want to discuss this with my manager. Or try to sign with yours.

Comment

Indeed. Major congrats are in order for those DDers fortunate enough to make this list. One. Step. Closer.
                      FADE IN:
                      PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                      NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Is this the first official post-2013-Black List sale/option?

Title: Pox Americana
                        Logline: Set in the New Mexico Territory in the 1850s, an Army officer and an Indian scout are sent by the U.S. President to lead a special ops team to assassinate the head of the Navajo nation.
                        Writer: Frank John Hughes
                        Agent: Charles Ferraro & Peter Dodd
                        Agency: United Talent Agency
                        Prod. Co: Code Entertainment Pilothouse Pictures
                        Genre: Period Drama Western
                        Logged: 12/18/2013
                        More: Al Corley, Bart Rosenblatt, Eugene Musso and Frank John Hughes will produce. Jonathan Dana and Erik Jendresen will executive produce. Jean-Francois Richet is attached to direct. Casting is underway. The script is on the 2013 Black List.

I assume this deal was in the works pre-BL.

Has anyone done the math to see how many of the BL scripts already had either a prodco or financing attached when they hit the list?
                        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

If you go look at their official list, you can see that about 75% of the scripts have either a production company and/or financier attached before the list even comes out.

When we list a deal that is already casting, it'd definitely not something that happened within the last few days or so. The "official" announcement about this deal really came about because a director was attached.
                          Will
                          Done Deal Pro
                          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

For the 25% that aren't already in the works, it would be interesting to know how many get prodcos/financing/sales in the year following list placement, and as a direct result of list placement, if there's any way to track that.
                            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Arch Stanton View Post
                              Since you're a pre-pro on the very precipice of success, can you describe in detail the 'narrow' script distribution strategy? I'm intrigued.

I will probably want to discuss this with my manager. Or try to sign with yours.

"Precipice of success" - I like that. It makes it sound like as soon as I jump off this cliff, I'm gonna splash into a sea of riches and dreams. Any minute now...

This is probably a question better posed to Michael Botti. I don't totally understand the reason behind the decisions on who the script goes to. I have a vague idea, but I just write the words.
                              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

First, a very well deserved congratulations to all the Done Deal family that made the list and to all the other amazing writers who followed suit. So happy for you all.

For the past several years I always peruse the titles before i read the loglines and I have to say that on the titles alone far more than not interested me.

What's also great is that 5 were discovered on The Black List site-- impressive.

Hats off to you all.
                                FA4
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X