No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BOOYA - another Scriptshadow AF writer sells his script

Originally posted by Shari Hari View Post
    Anybody else get all nipply to read that there's a "Miss Scriptshadow"?
    If by nipply, you mean, peed my pants.
    If you really like it you can have the rights
    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Carson sent the script to WME. We can debate all day and night whether that had an effect or whether Messi would be playing for Barcelona if a scout didn't spot him as a kid.

Fact is: Nathan is a part of the Scriptshadow community.

In yo' face.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
        Carson sent the script to WME. We can debate all day and night whether that had an effect or whether Messi would be playing for Barcelona if a scout didn't spot him as a kid.

In yo' face.
        Pretty sure Messi would still be at a Barca, another scout would have found him. Praise the talent, not the guy who stumbles ass backwards into it.

Comment

Good for the writer. I thought we were past arguing about ScriptShadow. If you like it, go to the site, if you don't, don't go to the site. Carson didn't get the guy signed, his script did. But if Carson did get it in front of WME, then he helped. Doesn't mean you have to like the site.

Again, who cares? Good for the writer. Although Chief, when you use phrases like "Booya" and "in yo face", it makes me want to argue with you on principle.

Carson didn't get the guy signed, sold, anything. His talent did. When people win academy awards, they don't thank the taxi driver that drove them to the ceremony, but they don't have a forum of people saying the taxi driver is a piece of **** either.
          @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

What I learned: Chief likes Scriptshadow. Most folks of DDP don't.

[ ] what the hell did I just read?
            [x] wasn't for me
            [ ] worth the read
            [ ] impressive
            [ ] genius

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
              What I learned: Chief likes Scriptshadow. Most folks of DDP don't.

[ ] what the hell did I just read?
              [x] wasn't for me
              [ ] worth the read
              [ ] impressive
              [ ] genius
              I think you forgot to include the "trash" checkbox in that list. That is, if your goal is to "celebrate writers" and help people understand the craft of screenwriting and improve, then you definitely need a "trash" checkbox because, you know, constructive criticism and respect and all that.

Comment

Why is it that every time someone who posts to Scriptshadow earns any kind of success, it becomes about Carson? It's great that he recognized talent and helped the guy get noticed, but the writer did 99% of the work. Reading a good script and sending it to someone you know is great, but it's not what gets the deal done. The writing is what gets the deal done.

So is it that difficult to make the writer's success about him?
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Also, he signed with WME a loooong time ago. I can't imagine the script didn't go out at all before this, so really Esola also deserves credit for not giving up on the script or a newbie writer and finding the right buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                    So is it that difficult to make the writer's success about him?
                    And maybe I'm crazy, but I just looked at Carson's announcement of this and even HE doesn't give himself any credit for this. He merely notes that a previous Amateur Friday "sold." (As others have pointed out, that's inaccurate.)

Even Carson's not making this "all about Carson." This is Chief all the way.

Comment

Yeah but Chief is Carson.
                      It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                        Hey, I can't help but agree. This is Carson through and though :P
                        "Please Don't Spear me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post

In yo' face.
                          Is Chief this Carson guy? Always so defensive about SS, to the point of going on the offensive as per this thread. It's one thing to like a much maligned service/site/person but another to pick up the baton and claim the writer only got signed because of Carson....and then finish off with "in yo' face".

To quote you Americans: I mean, really?
                          M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                            Ah, as I thought.
                            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                              I see you've taken a page from Scriptshadow's Book of Etiquette and Good Manners. Look at the review he did of Hangover 3: http://scriptshadow.net/movie-review-hangover-3/

"Atrocity". "These humor rapists" (in reference to Mazin and Phillips). "Are you that stupid?" (again, in reference to Mazin and Phillips). "The writing sucked". Verdict: "Trash".
                              I'm reading that link, out of morbid curiosity, and I'm immediately struck by Carson's terrible grammar. Perhaps worse is his paragraph construction:

And the thing about exposition is that you use it so the audience understands what's going on. The irony here, then, is that the more they used it, the more confusing things got, because audiences hate exposition. They hate constant explaining. So they tune out if there's too much of it, and you're actually accomplishing the opposite of what you set out to do.
                              I selected that paragraph for irony; it is not an especially terrible specimen of his work. This man has no business critiquing or - *gasp* - teaching writing.

Comment

I'm a ex-Carson follower (though admittedly it did take a friend landing on the Black List to understand why his script distributing was wrong), and I'm legitimately curious what people think about Amateur Friday. If I have a script I'm truly confident in, does anyone think it's a solid outlet to submit to, along with contests and such, or is it a waste of time?
                                Last edited by KJSM; 06-06-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X