No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very important al Jazeera report: China scripts Hollywood changes

http://www.aljazeera.com/video/asia/...348898210.html

China is already home to the world's second-biggest movie audience, and is expected to surpass the North American market before 2020.
    10 screens a day are being built in China.

Re: Very important al Jazeera report: China scripts Hollywood changes

And? Hollywood bends to political pressure all the time. The economic realities are such that China swings a big stick and Hollywood will do whatever it must to keep that market.

We saw it in action a few years ago with the Red Dawn remake.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven R View Post
      The economic realities are such that China swings a big stick and Hollywood will do whatever it must to keep that market.
      Close. It rhymes with it...

It is indeed HW following the money. That's why HW welcomes China's investment in western scripts. That's why China is opening its doors and land to encourage filmmakers to film over there. I see no problem with it.

In fact, it's partly the money from Chinese cinema-goers that are injecting HW with much needed boost. Asian markets like China are driving the worldwides through the roof. In fact, capturing the interest of China and Japan can account for over $100 Million of a blockbuster's box office.

And that will only increase. I expect the Asian market to dwarf every other (including domestic) in less than five years.

A good thing. US will get back some of the money they owe China. Then maybe we can all start buying back some of those pink slips.

It'll only take a couple of hundred billion cinema tickets!

Comment

China & Hollywood

Just remember that outside of the major cities, those ten cinemas being built every day may be fairly small businesses in the poorer provinces. Some twenty years ago, when I visited Fujian province and went to a couple of cinemas, in Fuzhou, the price of a ticket was about ten cents for a couple of Hong Kong comedies and an old Hollywood war movie from the 1960s, (projected from a VCR onto a large screen). I didn't notice any Hollywood films being shown in Xiamen, Shanghai, nor Beijing, (but, at that time, there was only one McDonald's in Beijing). The market may be huge, now, but the profits per ticket in China may be fairly small.
        JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Hoo boy...cue even more homogenized scripts.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
          X