Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Writers & Scripts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #41
TigerFang

Default Re: Would you keep reading this?

It's easy to praise and worship a film and its screenplay ex post facto, especially after it's highly successful.

Some hit films whose screenplays were at first ignored:

8 Famous Screenplays That Were Rejected — Part I

5 Brilliant Screenplays That Were Rejected ... Repeatedly
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #42
catcon

Great list of "failed" screenplays! Can we consider film productions, too?

I love the "Making of" documentaries that are all over YouTube. I find and download at least one a week, and have gone through a couple of hundred over the years. My faves often depict the significant difficulties the producer/director had in bringing the movie to the screen.

Some of these are:

- Making of American Graffiti
- Making of Jaws
- Making of Aliens
- Making of Psycho

None of these great films were as easy to produce as you'd think, given the final, universally-acclaimed results.

The above aren't exclusively my fave films, by any stretch; it's just that their "Making of" stories were epic or otherwise beyond interesting. Master classes in film production, as far as I'm concerned.

There are also documentaries for films that were of less-than-successful or weren't even finished. For instance, there are good ones for poor Terry Gilliam's efforts, including Brazil, Baron Munchausen and Don Quixote (from the 90s). But we're talking Terry Gilliam, here, so nothing comes easily.

Interestingly, many of these documentaries are 1-3 hours in length, which makes them almost as epic as the resulting movies.

My overall fave is "The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of 12 Monkeys", another Gilliam work though it was not his own story. Terrific doc.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 AM   #43
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
It's easy to praise and worship a film and its screenplay ex post facto, especially after it's highly successful.

Some hit films whose screenplays were at first ignored:

8 Famous Screenplays That Were Rejected Part I

5 Brilliant Screenplays That Were Rejected ... Repeatedly
As far as I can tell, none of these were written by first time writers (as was Shane Black's "Lethal Weapon"). So a newcomer with a new idea, versus established writers who, for various reasons, had trouble getting their scripts immediately made into movies. Not quite sure how one impacts the other.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #44
Max Otto Schrenck
Regular

Would I keep reading "this?"

No. I could tell by the first fifty words... overwritten, on-the-nose dialog (when -- skipping down -- we FINALLY get to it), aggravating (and failing) attempt to snare the reader with "personalized" approach. In a word, unreadable.

Back to writing school for Mister Black, whoever he is.

Next question.

Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck : 06-12-2018 at 09:26 AM. Reason: i don't know
Max Otto Schrenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 AM   #45
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centos View Post
As far as I can tell, none of these were written by first time writers (as was Shane Black's "Lethal Weapon"). So a newcomer with a new idea, versus established writers who, for various reasons, had trouble getting their scripts immediately made into movies. Not quite sure how one impacts the other.
Ah. Here’s “how one impacts the other,” at least for me. The thread’s title implies that we’re readers about to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on the material provided. In this case, the material was Shane Black’s screenplay.

The movie made from the screenplay was a hit, thereby implying the question of whether or not we, as hypothetical readers, would recognize its greatness and send it up the chain of command with our resounding endorsements.

The affinity of the sample script by S. Black to the links provided of hit movies that “almost didn’t get made,” regardless of their screenwriters’ status as new or old hands in the industry, ought now to be apparent: a reader (and the business at large) doesn’t always recognize a screenplay as a hit movie even when it’s sitting right in front of them.

Last edited by TigerFang : 09-08-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #46
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
The movie made from the screenplay was a hit, thereby implying the question of whether or not we, as hypothetical readers, would recognize its greatness and send it up the chain of command with our resounding endorsements.
I don't know how other people took it, but my point in quoting Shane Black's script was to show that a good, vivid, script can be written (and sold and turned into a movie) even though it breaks just about every "guru" rule. If you can "see" and "feel" the movie when you read the script, the writer has done his job.

The scripts that "almost didn't get made" (which really is pretty much inaccurate anyhow) are not the same thing. These "almost didn't get made" for various reasons not connected to the writing quality of the script. For the most part they were already packaged and shopped to the studios and budgets were the main concern. A completely different deal then buying a script from an unknown.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #47
catcon

I think TigerFang was trying to make a different point.

I make the same one, I think, about loglines: That if we look at loglines for some popular/successful films, and use the superior imaginations that we're supposed to have and IGNORE the brilliant film that resulted, if we were the decision-makers at the time may we very well have passed on that log or query before we even got around to reading the screenplay.

Try the aforementioned exercise here:

http://www.filmdaily.tv/logline/top-...gline-examples

It's like I always say, reading is already a subjective thing, but in this business the higher-ups try to read as little as possible - from writers not represented by some major referral or having had a previous success.

This may be the only way to cope with the inflow, but it's a guarantee to miss the "next big one". It happens over and over. It's often some Indie company that eventually gives that one a chance, or it's a self-made situation.

I'd love to see all the embarrassed faces at the bigs when the top knob at those companies reads about a recent success story and say, "Hey, didn't we have that one in our hands?"

Goldman: Nobody knows anything

Me: Nobody wants to read anything
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #48
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
I think TigerFang was trying to make a different point.

I make the same one, I think, about loglines: That if we look at loglines for some popular/successful films, and use the superior imaginations that we're supposed to have and IGNORE the brilliant film that resulted, if we were the decision-makers at the time we may very well have passed on that log or query before we even got around to reading the screenplay.

. . .

It's like I always say, reading is already a subjective thing, but in this business, the higher-ups try to read as little as possible - from writers not represented by some major referral or having had a previous success.

This may be the only way to cope with the inflow, but it's a guarantee to miss the "next big one". . . .
That's it.

Last edited by TigerFang : 07-02-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #49
Crayon

Quote:
Try the aforementioned exercise here:
http://www.filmdaily.tv/logline/top-...gline-examples
I'm not convinced those are genuine loglines.

Quote:
Goldman: Nobody knows anything
Mangold: Anybody knows nothing
Old 08-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #50
Leefie
New User

Smile Re: Would you keep reading this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaterso View Post
Yes, to see how many more glaring mistakes this amateur is going to make. If only he'd posted here first before embarrassing himself, we could have helped!

EXT. CITY OF ANGELS - NIGHT

Need I say more? I pity the fool.
Bit harsh.
It's a good piece of writing but not in spec format. Too much camera.. to directed.
Leefie is offline   Reply With Quote